• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Horseradish

kristin_71

I made a fantastic recipe out of the October Food and Wine yesterday that involved making a broth of sorts out of fresh grated horseradish root. After peeling and grating the root, I took my colander, lined it with a coffee filter, put the grated horseradish in and poured the hot water over it. Anyways the dish came out really well (there was poached fish and some veggies mixed with dijon mustard.) but I have the grated horseradish leftover and I do not want to throw it out. So does anyone have a recipe for horseradish. I tried looking on the jar of some pure horseradish that we have around here but it wasn't that helpful because it mentioned something about an articfical flavoring or something ( can't remember right at the moment.)

BTW, note to anyone ever using horseradish, becareful when grating it. It is like a strong onion. Your eyes will water and your sinuses will become alot clearer! :biggrin:

Thanks in advance!

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

I made a fantastic recipe out of the October Food and Wine yesterday that involved making a broth of sorts out of fresh grated horseradish root. After peeling and grating the root, I took my colander, lined it with a coffee filter, put the grated horseradish  in and poured the hot water over it. Anyways the dish came out really well (there was poached fish and some veggies mixed with dijon mustard.) but I have the grated horseradish leftover and I do not want to throw it out. So does anyone have a recipe for horseradish. I tried looking on the jar of some  pure horseradish that we have around here but it wasn't that helpful because it mentioned something about an articfical  flavoring or something ( can't remember right at the moment.)

BTW, note to anyone ever using horseradish, becareful when grating it. It is like a strong onion. Your eyes will water and your sinuses will become alot clearer! :biggrin:

Thanks in advance!

Throw it in the food processor and add white vinegar and salt. Buzz until blended to a paste.

I hope you didn't take too much of the flavor away with the hot broth bath. If this comes out too weak, next time use the leftovers to infuse some vodka for oyster shots and Bloody Marys. The alcohol ought to get at least the last of the flavor out of it.

When I make horseradish every year for Passover I wear ski goggles. It's like a tear gas bomb when you open up the food processor!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Throw it in the food processor and add white vinegar and salt.  Buzz until blended to a paste.

I hope you didn't take too much of the flavor away with the hot broth bath.  If this comes out too weak, next time use the leftovers to infuse some vodka for oyster shots and Bloody Marys.  The alcohol ought to get at least the last of the flavor out of it.

When I make horseradish every year for Passover I wear ski goggles.  It's like a tear gas bomb when you open up the food processor!

Great tip on the vodka. I made "prepared" horseradish for our last Passover Seder and I can vouch for the eye watering experience. Just before going to find my scuba mask. regulator and tank gasping for fresh air, I remembered I have a pretty good kitchen hood and after moving to the range top I cracked that sucker on high. Ahhh much better.

Mix it with yoghurt and dollop it on roasted beetroot, or in potato salad, or in coleslaw dressing.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Actually none of the flavor was lost. I tasted it and it was still really strong. Never thought about turning on the blower that is on our stove and cracking open some windows. This was my first time using fresh horseradish and I loved it! Next time I will remember some goggles or something. :biggrin: I love the idea of making my own worcestershire sauce! What a great idea! All the ideas are great, now just gotta figure out which to do! Thanks so much! :biggrin:

Here's another idea - from an eighteenth century cookbook - a no-cook savoury sauce. A rather vague set of instructions, as they often were back then.

From" Penelope Bradshaw “The family jewel, and compleat housewife’s companion: or, the whole art of cookery made plain and easy... “ London, 1754

To make Sauce for Fish or Flesh.

Take a Quart of Verjuice, and put it into a Jug; then take Jamaica Pepper whole, some shred Ginger, some Mace, a few Cloves, some Lemon-peel, Horse-radish root sliced, some sweet Herbs, six Shalots peeled, and eight Anchovies, two or three Spoonfuls of shred Capers; put all these into a Linen Bag, and put the Bag into your Verjuice; stop the Jug close, and keep it for Use; a Spoonful cold or mixed in Sauce for Fish or Flesh.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday