• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Render Unto Caesar

Stone

Last night I ordered a "Classic Caesar Salad." What I got was romaine lettuce in a creamy dressing with little flavor and which seemed to be a mix of ranch and creamy Italian. It was topped with croutons and an overwhelming fistfull of parmegian. No anchovies draped on top, nor were they offered.

I can't claim any expertise in any type of salad, but that's not what I think of as a caesar salad.

What should I get with a classic caesar?

Sounds like you got the shortcut ceaser. I did some work for a caterer last year in their kitchen and the owner used hidden valley ranch dressing with parmesan cheese as a ceaser dressing. A pretty cheap chortcut if you ask me but hey it wasn't my name on the door.

In the Classic Caesar I would expect:

Romaine

Lemon

Worsteshire (sp?)

Egg Yoke

Mustard Powder (Gordon's)

EVOO

Mashed Garlic

Mashed Anchovies

Fresh Sauteed Croutons

Freshly Grated P-R cheese

Freshly grated Black Pepper

A small pinch of salt

Chilled plates and forks.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Never - anchovies should always be mashed. It blends well with the lemon and egg yolk and adds the necessary salting.

On top - it adds nothing but ugly brown things.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I thought Julius Caesar invented it. Did this Cardini guy come from Mexico?

Rich Schulhoff

I've eaten in that restaurant several times. You get Caesar Salad with EVERYTHING.

It seems kinda weird to get Margaritas and the Mexi-Maxi Combo Plate with enchiladas, beans, tacos, and......Caesar Salad.

:biggrin:

Oh..I think that Caesar Cardini was originally Italian.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 5 months later...
Yes, he had a restaurant in Tijuana, where Julia was taken by her parents.  She also says the salad was served as whole leaves to be picked up and eaten out of hand.

Most places I've seen in SF serve whole leaves.