• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edna Staebler

jayt90

Edna Staebler, author of several Mennonite-Canadian cookbooks, and also historical non-fiction, died on Sept. 12 at 100, in Waterloo.

Edna was not Mennonite or Amish, but was able to research and document an important part of our culture in a lively and interesting way. I remember her being interviewed by Peter Gzowski about ten years ago, hopefully this is archived.

Edna Staebler, author of several Mennonite-Canadian cookbooks, and also historical non-fiction, died on Sept. 12 at 100, in Waterloo.

Edna was not Mennonite or Amish, but was able to research and document an important part of our culture in a lively and interesting way. I remember her being interviewed by Peter Gzowski about ten years ago, hopefully this is archived.

Food That Really Schmecks by Edna Staebler was the first cookbook I ever bought. I still have my copy.

Edna was quite the celebrity when her first cook book was published. She wrote a follow-up too - "More Food that Really Schmecks".

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Two of my favorite cookbooks, and the source of several recipes I still use.

So it goes to show you that good food is associated with long life.

Edna was an amazing woman.

My very dear friend was her neighbour at Sunfish Lake (her home). After years of him suggesting that I meet her (he was convinced we'd get on well), I finally screwed up my courage and had dinner with her in May. She was so...sparkly...and warm and funny and interested and interesting.

We had dinner again a few weeks ago and in the days before her stroke we set up another dinner next week.

I've drafted an obit for Canada Eats and something for my own blog. I can't read them with clear eyes. When they are up, I'll post a note.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

j.

blog: Confessions of a Cardamom Addict

That is so touching, Jasmine. We should all take time for our most senior of citizens.

In another section (Adventures in Eating) Andiesenji notes that 'Food That Really Schmecks' is about to be re-released in paperback in October.

That is so touching, Jasmine.  We should all take time for our most senior of citizens.

In another section (Adventures in Eating) Andiesenji notes that 'Food That Really Schmecks' is about to be re-released in paperback in October.

Thanks jayt90.

I've posted my experiences here on my blog.

She told me that Food That Really Schmecks will be reissued in November; I've just confirmed it on the Laurier site..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

j.

blog: Confessions of a Cardamom Addict