• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: A mix from all over

Brad Ballinger

Okay, it's been a while since I've posted. Let's just say life has a strange way of demanding attention.

Here are some very brief recollections on what I've had to drink over the summer.

1990 Dominus, Napa Valley. My wife and I took a vacation while the daughter was away a Spanish camp. I decided to pull out some bottles that I was saving for God knows what or when. This was heavenly and still going strong. If you have any, no need to be in a rush. I bought it years ago, and it's the first and only Dominus I've ever tasted. Served with grilled steak, grilled mushroom, and grilled onions, a salad, and bread.

1990 de Pez, Saint Estephe. Our vacation was along the north shore of Minnesota. We had dinner one evening at Chez Jude, and were allowed to bring our own. I oredered lamb. The tannins were fully and completely resolved, and there was an attractive cassis and spice profile to the wine. It was showing age.

1996 Domaine des Baumard Savennieres. I had to move some cases out of the way to get this bottle out of my callar. I had hidden it on purpose. But it was time to drink it on the vacation trip. It is still young. Great mineral-driven profile and incredible balance. I can't remember what we ate with it, and it doesn't matter. This wine was the showpiece of whatever that meal was.

1996 Drouhin "Clos de la Garenne" Puligny Montrachet Premier Cru. Nutty, resiny, mineraly, and a healthy dose of lemon and acid. Maturing nicely.

NV Gaston Chiquet "Cuvee Tradition" Brut Premier Cru. Floral, chalky, some almond, and roasted apples. Good aperitif style of bubbly.

1998 A. Margaine "Special Club" Brut Blanc de Blancs Premier Cru. Strong mineral profile, and an almost angry wine (in a good way). Very tightly knit.

2002 Bouchard Beaune de Chateau Premier Cru. I believe this is a "blend," if you will, of grapes from various Beaune premier cru parcels, but someone will correct me on that. I don't recall much other than it being nice.

2002 Dr. Wehrheim Birkweiler Bundstandstein Riesling Spatlese Trocken, Pfalz. This wine wasn't beating anyone over the head with acid, but it did have a fair amount to provide a nce lift to the apple, pear, and melon fruits. Hint of minerality.

1990 Les Ormes de Pez, Saint Estephe. More stuffing than the de Pez. And a whole lot more funk. Had some bottle stink that needed to blow off. Some meat and tobacco components, and some St. Estephe brashness.

1999 Kolb Kirchheimer Geisskopf Huxelrebe Trockenbeerenauslese. Again, what am I holding onto it for? Great candied fruit and acid harmony. Fruit is bright and juicy. Goes down easy.

I promise to continue drinking well and to not take such a long absence again.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I'd have to say a little bit of both. Let me explain. The cabin we rented was oufitted with a Weber grill, and the kitchen was equipped with a skillet I've never seen before. It had a collapseable handle (for storage/packing perhaps), a porcelain-like coating, and holes in the bottom. The mushrooms and onions were placed in this skillet, and the skillet went on the grill. I'm sure one could even use such a contraption over an open fire.

I couldn't find a picture, but here's a square version with a non-collapseable handle -- click.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero