• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When was the first bartender competition?

Danne

I need help, quickly.

My question is, when was the first bartender competition. I know it was in New Orleans. And I've got 3 answers, 1869, 1896, 1920. But I don't know witch one it is. I hope that some one here can help me with the answer.

please?

I need help, quickly.

My question is, when was the first bartender competition. I know it was in New Orleans. And I've got 3 answers, 1869, 1896, 1920. But I don't know witch one it is. I hope that some one here can help me with the answer.

please?

Harry Johnson claimed in his book that it was in 1869 in new orleans, and that he won, but extensive searching has turned up no record of it whatsoever, and Johnson has a proven record of exaggeration (he said that he introduced Cocktails to New York in the 1870s, three generations after they are first documented there).

The earliest bartender competition that can be documented is one sponsored by the Innkeeper's Journal in 1889, won by John Dougherty with what is essentially a large champagne cocktail stiffened with brandy.

That's not to say that this is the absolute first such contest, but nothing earlier has been found and publicized.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895