• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brew Wharf

Sorry about the England/Portugese game :angry: Helen and I watched the game early in the morning in Vancouver and I was wondering if any of you watched the game at the new Brew Wharf near the Borough Market?

The menu does not look all that interesting in the gastro pub sense but how are the beers? It's nice to see the addition of a brew pub along with the wine wharf and the Cantina.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Sorry about the England/Portugese game :angry: Helen and I watched the game early in the morning in Vancouver and I was wondering if any of you watched the game at the new Brew Wharf near the Borough Market?

The menu does not look all that interesting in the gastro pub sense but how are the beers? It's nice to see the addition of a brew pub along with the wine wharf and the Cantina.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Borough Market is a broiling hell hole on Saturdays with tourists blocking the aisles and gawping. I think most sane Brits watched the inevitable debacle from home.

It's sad that we have to have a 'Brew' anything. Outside London it's possible to drink a variety of beers at most pubs. London meanwhile seems unable to stop the march of the one style fizzy fight starter erroneously called lager by its swillers.

S

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

I think that the beer isn't yet brewed on site, but that it is brewed specially for Brew Wharf and some of it is excellent. I tried the whole range, and while my recollections are a little hazy for obvious reasons, I seem to remember a rasberry flavoured cloudy beer that would definately hit the spot in a heatwave.

It's sad that we have to have a 'Brew' anything.

You want to get out more, sunbeam. Specifically, you want to get out to: Meantime Brewing Co; Battersea Brewery; Grand Union Brewery; Mash; Twickenham Fine Ales; and, of course, anywhere served by the mighty Fuller, Smith and Turner in W4. All within the scope of a Zone 2 travel card.

I've been to Brew Wharf twice now - the beer is v. good - I'll say that. We went once on a Thursday night back in May - and while the bar was quite buzzy with lots of suits - the restaurant was strangely empty. We had some of the Meantime kolsch-style beer. The other half's verdict is that while it's a great beer - especially in hot weather - it doesn't really compare to true koln-style beers that you'd find in Germany.

We shared some roasted chicken - it was ok - filled a corner, but as I've had to struggle to remember what it was we actually ate, it demonstrates how unmemorable it was.

We've returned since - but it was rubbish. We met friends who work nearby for an after work drink - again on a thursday - and the bar was packed. the wanker quota high and the bar man distracted. Despite this, we stayed for a meal. The restaurant was crowded, the staff few. Our orders were wrong, half arrived late and all the frites were cold. eeeek.

So, although the beer's pretty good, we won't be going back. Rather - we've visited the Union pub in Greenwich (we watched the Sweden v Germany game there a few weeks back) and the beer is the same (from Meantime) with the added advantage of it being a way nicer pub!

oh - forgot to add.. we actually watched the match at the Crook & Shears pub in the small village of Upper Clatford in Hampshire. Of all the matches I've watched outside the house so far it was by far the nicest venue - a big plasma screen set up in the skittle alley. People with rattles - timothy taylors on tap and pimms for me. The disadvantages? Well - england lost and it's a long mile home when you have to listen to the entire match dissected in all it's horror and then sven's failings analysed etc, etc.

We had thought about watching some of the other matches at brew wharf - but the second reconnaissance visit put an end to that - so the group games were seen at a works social club attached to an insane asylum in Wiltshire (don't ask) and a horrible pub in westminster, where we saw the trinidad v tobago match at it was 10 deep at the bar, smokey and full of c***ts.

I'm fussy, aren't I?

Edited by Portia_Smith (log)

Rather - we've visited the Union pub in Greenwich (we watched the Sweden v Germany game there a few weeks back) and the beer is the same (from Meantime) with the added advantage of it being a way nicer pub!

oh - forgot to add..  we actually watched the match at the Crook & Shears pub in the small village of Upper Clatford in Hampshire.  Of all the matches I've watched outside the house so far it was by far the nicest venue - a big plasma screen set up in the skittle alley.  People with rattles - timothy taylors on tap and pimms for me.  The disadvantages?  Well - england lost and it's a long mile home when you have to listen to the entire match dissected  in all it's horror and then sven's failings analysed etc, etc.

I'm fussy, aren't I?

If you thought England lost the Sweden v Germany game, the beer must have been quite something. :blink:

note to self. don't drink and type.

umm... sweden lost that one. i do remember that. i think it's just the post portugal saturation coverage of the england team that makes me think they actually played more games..against more teams than actually happened. or, alternatively - all i hear is england lose, england lose, england lose wherever i turn.

i also had a v. weird rooney related dream on tuesday night.

but that's another post