• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Early Morning SF?

SuzySushi

So, we're* finally heading off to San Francisco in July for a 10-day visit, staying with my stepson in the Potrero district the first few nights (THANKS, guys, for the neighborhood eatery recommendations), then driving up to Napa & Sonoma with a 2-night stay in Calistoga. We've been to SF and wine country many times, though not for several years.

However, our flight arrives from Honolulu at 6:15 a.m. on a weekday. We're not due at SIL's house till 6 p.m.

Where should we go/eat in between, especially early breakfast spots? We'll be picking up a rental car at the airport and were thinking of driving into town to check out the new-to-us Ferry Marketplace, but I just read that most of the shops don't open till 10 a.m. We'll also probably need a shady place to park and catch a few winks.

Ideas?

* We = me, my husband, and our 9 year old daughter.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

We'll also probably need a shady place to park and catch a few winks.

To be honest, there aren't too many places in SF that I would feel comfortable parking my car and sleeping in it. Maybe at Ocean Beach....

As for breakfast, there are many neighborhood places that are open early. If you want something closed by the Ferry Building, you can try Red's Java House on Pier 30. It's a small place that serves no thrill breakfast (bacon, eggs, etc.). There's also Town's End. The food range from good to average, depending on what you order. The prices are a little high, but not way out of line. It's a more comfortable setting than Red's.

Another option is just to go to the Ferry Building early. Some food places are open early, such as Acme Bread Company, Peets, and Lulu Petite.

Enjoy your visit here. I'm sure you'll have a great time! :biggrin:

I always like driving up to Coit Towel early in the morning. I'd been there once before 7:00 am while the whole San Francisco was just waking up. A fresh look. Feel just different (as that place is always packed with tourists). Parking I am sure you would have no problem finding at that time. No sure about shady spot though.

For breakfast... there is always Chinese Town close by.... :biggrin: Freshly made bakery and Hong Kong style coffee (condensed milk and heavy in sugar) would be lovely. Or better yet... jook (congee) at Hing Lung (I think they open early but am not sure) and freshly fried cruellers. On broadway between Stockton and Columbus. Some shops sell to-go dim sum cheap! (but quality is so-so)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

The super-early arrival is perfect, actually. You will probably be entering the city when Tartine opens ( http://www.tartinebakery.com/ ), one of the best bakeries on earth. If you had arrived much later you'd probably be stuck waiting for a table or waiting in a long line. Eat everything they offer and enjoy the caffeine options. Bathe yourself in the butter-enhanced air.

I do like boulangerie bay bread on polk/bush/etc. but they're not in the same league as Tartine.

If you're a coffee nut, be sure to swing by Ritual Coffee Roasters (just down the road from Tartine) or the Blue Bottle kiosk in Hayes Valley for the good stuff.

The super-early arrival is perfect, actually.  You will probably be entering the city when Tartine opens ( http://www.tartinebakery.com/ ), one of the best bakeries on earth.  If you had arrived much later you'd probably be stuck waiting for a table or waiting in a long line.  Eat everything they offer and enjoy the caffeine options.  Bathe yourself in the butter-enhanced air.

I would also probably take advantage of the early hour to procure a table at Tartine and enjoy their pastries and and other goods with coffee.

There are some great ideas given by others upthread as well. I like the downscale, comfortable ambience at Red's Java House. While located right off of the Embarcadero, it's peaceful to sit and eat in view of the Bay.

Coit Tower early in the day does sound beautiful and peaceful as well. You could park between the Ferry Building and the southeast side of Coit Tower and walk up Telegraph Hill starting at Battery St. through the beautiful private gardens surrounding the Filbert Steps. There is also a nice park and beautiful water fountain complex on the bottom of Telegraph Hill (East side of Coit tower) at the Levy Strauss Plaza. I believe there is a bakery located right next to Levy Strauss plaza as well although I can't remember which one right now.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Since you'll be staying in SF for a few days, another option for breakfast is to stop by somewhere outside of SF and closer to the airport. We just went to Peter's Cafe this morning and had a nice breakfast. It's just on the other side of the freeway (101) from the airport. One thing they specialized in is their apple "pancake". (The "German Baby" is the same thing without apples.) It's not really like a pancake, more like a souffle, but more dense. It takes about 30 minutes to get your pancake as it's cooked to order. An order of that is enough for two for breakfast - it's the size of a pie! Also, it's open 24 hours.