• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Printed tissue paper

Darcie B

I want to line the boxes I put pastries in with a printed tissue paper that coordinates with my business name (Cinnamon Jaguar, named after my late cat). I found a place online (papermart.com) that sells tissue paper printed with water-based inks. It doesn't say food safe, however. Can I use this, or do I need to get waxed paper? (I can't find any waxed paper with the right prints, though!) Thanks.

i would call papermart. their customer service people should have an answer for you. there are other packaging companies that list their tissue paper as food safe, so you might want to check other options. most of the companies out there can customize.

You might try contacting these people and asking if you can buy the rolls of rice paper in quantity at a discount.rice paper rolls.

You can then get a custom rubber stamp made with your logo and food-safe or edible inks and stamp each section of the paper that would cover the pastries.

Here's a jaguar

I have used this as well as papers from

this vendor

To make pleated fans on which to present pastries, candies, petit fours and other goodies.

I "painted" them with edible dyes so they were 100% food safe. You can do a lot of unique things with the stuff.

Several years ago I was sent some samples of paper made from kudzu which was also "edible". I can't remember the name of the company but as I recall, they were in Georgia.

The nice thing with rice paper is that once the vegetable "inks" have dried into the paper, they will not fade. This is unique to this material.

Here's a jaguar

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

One of my friends owns a Scrapbooking store and has a great source for custom rubber stamps of all kinds. I will phone her later today (she teaches classes until 2:00) and will get the info if you (or anyone else) is interested.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I like this idea of making custom tissue type paper. Does it list on the website that this rice paper is food safe?

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Andie,

What do you use to make the vegetable inks?

I have a jaguar face that would be well suited for a rubber stamp. Please forward me information on getting a custom stamp if your friend has it.

Thanks everyone for your info.