• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruites De Mer in Paris

peterpumkino

One of my favourite types of French food is Fruits De Mer (you know, the cold sea food platter with oysters, shrimps, crab, cockles etc that is served in layers like a wedding cake - usually there's a man outside who is dressed like a pathologist doing a post morem chucking oysters and whatever else he does with the seafood).

As I'm off to Paris for the day next Friday does anybody know where it's really good in Paris?

Strangely enough I had it in Rick Stein's in Padstow, which is considered the best sea food restaurant in Britain, and it was not good - I suppose there isn't the demand (therefore the turnover) for such a dish in England which requires ultra-fresh ingredients.

Also I go over to Boulogne quite a bit so if anyone knows a good Fruites De Mer restaurant in that region let me know (I know the 2 Etaples restaurants and their great).

Can anybody help me?

But all the brasseries operated by the Flo Group will have a oyster stand in front of the restaurant. Bofinger is probably the best of that bunch.

The Balzar, disappointingly did not have an oyster stand when we were there in November, nor did they feature oysters, which I had thought was almost a requirement for a proper brasserie, at least in the winter. Speaking of seasons, I seem to recall that the oyster stands disappear in the warm weather. The old rule of only eating oysters in months with an "r" seems to have died and oyster eating seems to be a year round activity these days, but most people still seem to believe they are best in the winter.

There's no grande plateau de fruits de mer at le Baron Rouge near the Aligre Market, and you might be lucky to find a table, but everyone should experience a dozen oysters shucked on the street eaten right there. If you're not alone, you can split the chores of lining up for oysters and bellying up to the bar for a couple of glasses of muscadet to take out. Any ledge or top of a parked car seems to served to put your glass down.

I recall an excellent plateau de fruits de mer on the terass at le Dome about nine years ago, and then another that was less impressive a few years later. Both were had in months with an "r."

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Sorry guys. I've given you all a bit of a red herring with the oysters. I only mentioned them to describe the kind of plateau de fruits de mer I am lookling for, It's the freshness and variety the of platter rather than the oysters per se.

Sorry - any specific ideas?

Jaybee: Does Le Cochon D'or or La Cououille (where is it?) fit the criteria?

Peter - I second La Cagouille as a terrific place. But they are sort of located in the boonies, the area behind Gare Montparnasse in the 14th arr. It's an ugly restaurant as well being in a modern neighborhood where the buildings were constructed in the form of buildings from another era but of modern materials and clean lines. Cap Vernet is centrally located and just off the etoile on Ave. Marceau. But either of those places are going to be superior to a place like Cochon d'Or or a Flo restaurant which are more mass market.

Bux - Balzar never had an oyster shucker out front. The place is too small. It's probably the smallest brasserie I've ever seen and qualified as one mainly because of their menu.

Cochin d'Or is a good basic brasserie with a nice outdoor terrace across from the Forum Les Halles near St. Eustache. It is gets a lot of tourits but locals eat there too. There are some excellent brasseries arouind the big "place" intersections. Almost any will serve a good plat de fruits de mer. La Cagouille is a restaurant specializing in shellfish. Steve's description is right. The place is an ultra-modern, industrial design look. The seafood is first rate (perhaps some of the best in Paris) but the place is a bitch to find. They also have a fantastic collection of old cognacs.

La Cagouille

12 Place Brancusi (opposite 23 rue de l"ouest)

Paris, 14th Ar.

tel: 43 22 09 01

I recall a good Brassderie in the Hotel Lutecia in the 6th on Blvd. Raspail that serves what you want.

If it is still in business, the Bar a Huitres

112 Blvd du Montparnasse also specializes in the kind of huge tiered shellfish platers you want.