• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apamate

Apamate opened on the 1600 block of South Street. The menu is Spanish as in Spain and is a combination of light dishes, sandwiches, and salads along with coffees, hot chocolates and churros. Breakfast too. Most everything priced between $5 and $10.

I was there for lunch today. Had the chef's "Desgustacion de pintxos." It changes with the whim of the chef - today four small one to three bite tastes including crabmeat salad, a clam with manchengo cheese, a pan seared scallop and sauteed spinach. All but the clam were served bruchetta style on small slices of toasted bread. $5.75

My waitress also pointed me to her favorite - "La Cantalena con Jamon de mi Edgar 'Par amb tomaquet" - sections of a baguette are toasted, dipped in a tomatoe, garlic and olive oil marinade, and topped with slices of serrano ham. $6.95

The churros are a dessert pastry - they look like extruded choux paste, but the waitress said they were donut like in texture. They come with melted chocolate for dipping. Other home baked Spanish pastries too.

A selection of espresso drinks, three kinds of hot chocolate (Spanish, Mexican and and Americano) and limonatda or clementine juice.

For breakfast, huevos con chorizo, an omelet with potatoes, onions and garlic, pancakes with fresh fruit and some other choices.

The Grad Hospital neighborhood is looking tastier and tastier.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The churros are a dessert pastry - they look like extruded choux paste, but the waitress said they were donut like in texture. They come with melted chocolate for dipping. Other home baked Spanish pastries too.

Yeah!! Churros and chocolate are like the best thing ever! So psyched to go check this out.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Fatou and Fama is on 18th and Christian, moved from 40th and Chestnut presumably.

closed now.

That was quick!

What happened? I thought they were doing OK at 40th and Chestnut.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Does anyone have their phone number yet?

I just tried 411 and there's no listing as of yet. I wanted to know if they were open this evening 'cuz I'm jonesing for some good food. I'll probably drive by and stop if opened, if not I'm continuing on to Tierra Colombiana for some aranitas, good Moros y Christianos and a mojito or two.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Just found their take out menu:

1620 South Street (horrible location for the time being - scaffolding blocking th sidewalk on one side and a portapotty on the other.

Phone is 215-790-1620

Went back yesterday for ham croquettes (6 potato-ish croquettes with bits of Serranno ham) and a mixed salad with calabres blue cheese, vinegar and lemon dressing. Both excellent.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

i stopped in on my way to work this morning. i saw a little jamon quiche in the case and got a jones for it, so i ordered a piece. i was a little surprised when it cost $7, but then i realized it was like a whole entree type of thing, that came with a salad and all, so that made sense.

anyway, the quiche was damn good. had a cup of excellent coffee too, and the owners/employees were extremely nice. i'll be back for lunch/dinner sometime soon.

1620 South Street (horrible location for the time being - scaffolding blocking th sidewalk on one side and a portapotty on the other.

Phone is 215-790-1620

Went back yesterday for ham croquettes (6 potato-ish croquettes with bits of Serranno ham) and a mixed salad with calabres blue cheese, vinegar and lemon dressing.  Both excellent.

Spoke in Spanish with a female voice at the restaurant. Evidently it's a daughter/father operation — she said she's from Barcelona but said that her dad was from "the north of Spain." Aragon? Navarre?

Anyway, brunch on Sunday is from 9 am to 3 pm.

I was there on Wed. It makes for a nice break on the commute from West Philly (represent!) to QV. Ordered the churros y chocolate; sadly, no churros due to a glitch with their batter. Ana, the owner/chef/barista that am, cold not have been nicer abot it, though. Chocolate: the best I have had since I lived in Spain lo these 11 years ago (could have been a little warmer, though). Prices seemed a little high until I realized that

a) I was comparing them to what the dollar bought in Spain in 1995 and

b) who the hell cares how much it is - you can finally get churros y chocolate in Philly.

As a bonus, I'm here to tell you that the best espresso I have had in the last few years was pulled here sorry, La Colombe. Ana would not reveal the name of her roaster - even after I pulled an "I'm in the biz" schtick on her - except to say that it is done just for Apamate.

Going back today to try some of the bocadillos.

owner, Rx

i was lying around feeling kinda crappy yesterday, trying to take a nap when i got a call from katie, who said she was around the corner at apamate, and would i care for some churros y chocolata?

well, who am i to say no?

so, they were having the same batter issue as greg mentioned on wednesday, and therefore the churros weren't forthcoming right away. so we ordered the 'degustacion de tapas':

gallery_7799_2194_23576.jpg

from right to left, since that's the way we ate them:

--a piece of norwegian salmon with (if i remember right) a reduced albarino buerre blanc

--an ugodly gigantic seared scallop, with fried leeks and jamon, and some of that herbed oil that i don't remember exactly

--a piece of squid with balsamic caramelized onions, on puff pastry

--a clam broiled with manchego

all were delicious, although the scallop was really a highlight, despite the pale out-of-season tomato under it; its natural sweetness contrasting with the salty crunch of the jamon and leeks.... excellent.

moving on, churros! they got things worked out:

gallery_7799_2194_50924.jpg

we asked for an extra cup of chocolate since there were two of us, and when we'd finished the churros were we greedy enough to just scarf the extra chocolate as if it was a cup of very thick hot chocolate?

you even have to ask?

anyway, the churros were crunchy most of the way through; katie pointed out that usually they're a little softer in the middle. i suspect the state of the churros will be in flux for a little while, as the batter issues are worked out. they sure tasted good though.

apamate is a very welcoming place, a pleasant way to spend a morning or afternoon, and a great addition to the neighborhood. i'll be back quite a bit, you better believe it.

i was lying around feeling kinda crappy yesterday, trying to take a nap when i got a call from katie, who said she was around the corner at apamate, and would i care for some churros y chocolata?

well, who am i to say no?

so, they were having the same batter issue as greg mentioned on wednesday, and therefore the churros weren't forthcoming right away.  so we ordered the 'degustacion de tapas':

gallery_7799_2194_23576.jpg

from right to left, since that's the way we ate them:

--a piece of norwegian salmon with (if i remember right) a reduced albarino buerre blanc

--an ugodly gigantic seared scallop, with fried leeks and jamon, and some of that herbed oil that i don't remember exactly

--a piece of squid with balsamic caramelized onions, on puff pastry

--a clam broiled with manchego

all were delicious, although the scallop was really a highlight, despite the pale out-of-season tomato under it; its natural sweetness contrasting with the salty crunch of the jamon and leeks.... excellent.

moving on, churros!  they got things worked out:

gallery_7799_2194_50924.jpg

we asked for an extra cup of chocolate since there were two of us, and when we'd finished the churros were we greedy enough to just scarf the extra chocolate as if it was a cup of very thick hot chocolate? 

you even have to ask?

anyway, the churros were crunchy most of the way through; katie pointed out that usually they're a little softer in the middle.  i suspect the state of the churros will be in flux for a little while, as the batter issues are worked out.  they sure tasted good though.

apamate is a very welcoming place, a pleasant way to spend a morning or afternoon, and a great addition to the neighborhood.  i'll be back quite a bit, you better believe it.

Dem Tapas look mighty fine James - what did that meal set you guys back?

Dem Tapas look mighty fine James - what did that meal set you guys back?

i think about $15 or 16 before tax/tip? something like that. the tapas and churros were about $6 each (a total deal for the tapas BTW), the extra cup of chocolate was a couple bucks.

Phone is 215-790-1620

Went back yesterday for ham croquettes (6 potato-ish croquettes with bits of Serranno ham) and a mixed salad with calabres blue cheese, vinegar and lemon dressing.  Both excellent.

Spoke in Spanish with a female voice at the restaurant. Evidently it's a daughter/father operation — she said she's from Barcelona but said that her dad was from "the north of Spain." Aragon? Navarre?

Anyway, brunch on Sunday is from 9 am to 3 pm.

Okay, some corrections, some observations.

We had lunch today at Apamate. We split an appetizer and dessert, croquetas de jamón serrano and churros y chocolate, and had a bocadillo and a bocata, both of chorizo. With a cortado coffee and two sodas ($2 for a can, though?) it came to just shy of $37. Remarkably, we managed to kill an hour and a half there, which really doesn't say much about their traffic, at least not yet.

The specific spot along South is still a bit on the dicey side, but they've done a nice job with the interior, with warm, orangish sienna walls, decorative overhead ducts, and large, brown ceramic floor tiles. The kitchen is separated from the eating area by a wall but is visible while entering.

Ane, the chef, is from Venezuela (not barcelona, horrible static on the phone before), by way of Spanish parents (Bilbao and Gijón) who saw to it that she went back to Spain for summers. She said that she's determined to offer food that stays true to its origins, which is refreshing, given the number of places that cave in to the plæbian palate of the masses.

The croquettes were correct in their preparation, and nicely presented. Our chorizo sandwiches (mine cold, a bocata, which is more or less a Spanish hoagie, with cured, spicy sliced chorizo, and hers hot, with cooked chorizo in an unidentifiable sauce) were more than slightly nouvelle departures from traditional Spanish tavern fare. They were also delicious and reasonably priced. The churros were as I remember them from fiestas in Spain, and the chocolate was slightly more bitter to my taste and thinner than that which remains in my memory years later, but any discrepancies between today's dessert and yesterday's fond memories were cheerfully overlooked.

Oh, and did I mention the espresso? The other principal, formerly of Colombe, let it slip that the coffee was selected in Spain, although it is evidently roasted in _______. The crema was perfect, and I have to second the thought expressed herein by another that it is about the best espresso beverage that I've had in the States, bar none. I ordered a cortado, which is pretty much like a macchiatto, since this is a Spanish place, and more than ostensibly, and got a bang-up version once explanations and translations were squared away.

Go and enjoy. It's a great little lunch place, and will only be better as the construction in the area is finalized and the menu hopefully fleshes out a little from its presently somewhat Spartan status. Nonetheless, isn't it nice to find a place that can actually do more than a few things right, no matter how short the carte?

Edited by Furious Flav-or (log)

Go and enjoy. It's a great little lunch place, and will only be better as the construction in the area is finalized

As a disclaimer being involved with owners of the operation....

but the "construction" in the area is irrelevant to the restaurant, there is a new townhouse next door undergoing some facade work and the scaffolding was in fact removed this weekend.

The interior or exterior of the restaurant isnt in any way hampered by any construction.

Go and enjoy. It's a great little lunch place, and will only be better as the construction in the area is finalized

As a disclaimer being involved with owners of the operation....

but the "construction" in the area is irrelevant to the restaurant, there is a new townhouse next door undergoing some facade work and the scaffolding was in fact removed this weekend.

The interior or exterior of the restaurant isnt in any way hampered by any construction.

Didn't mean to make it sound like the construction had anything to do with you. It just makes going down the street to the restaurant in one direction a bit of an adventure, that's all, and it will be a more attractive surrounding for Apamate.

Edited by Furious Flav-or (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to give my own nod to this place. Finally a Spanish place in Philly I can afford! BYO is great, though I wonder how they're going to pull off a Sangria night (you provide the wine) like they were advertising? In any case, I lived in Spain for a summer, and I definately miss the food. Here's my little review:

Decor: Solid colored walls, kind of dark first floor rowhouse. Reminds me of New York. Candles on each solid dark wood table. Tasteful.

First courses (~$6 each)

1) Croquetas -- 6 small round croquettes. Wish they were served warmer and the filling is somewhat bland. That being said, the outsides are nice and crispy. Overall not the best, but not bad.

2) Desgustacion de Pinxtos -- Each on their own piece of toast. All very good. Portobello mushrooms cooked with a little garlic, tasty! Marinated cooked shrimp in a roasted red pepper, also quite good. Mixed squash salad. Finally lomo and cheese. Kind of a strange combination for a tapa, but the meat was so tender and flavorful I didn't mind.

Second courses (~$8 each)

1) Tuna Sandwich (forget the official name) -- Any way you name it, it was a fancy tunafish sandwhich on a baguette. Nevertheless, the salad was well flavored and the bread fresh.

2) Sandwich (again blanking on name) de carne -- Tender strips of beef on a baguette with lettuce with a spicy mayo based sauce. I got it with an extra side of sauce, which was great with the fries this sandwich came with. I wish the Tuna sandwich also came with something...

Dessert (~$9)

1) Churros con chocolate -- The churros were tasty and authentic. It was the Spanish chocolate that left me wishing for Spain however. I thought the chocolate tasted powdery and a bit thin, not the rich chocolate I was used to in Granada. Still, I liked it enough that I ordered an extra half dozen churros to dip in the remaining chocolate to share with my partner.

Service was a bit overbearing, but very friendly. It was obvious they were new, but at the same time it was charming and I'd much rather have it this way than the usual Philadelphia cold shoulder. The sandwiches probably took about a half hour to come out and the second round of churros took ten minutes. We didn't mind so much (we had a bottle of Kaiken Malbec after all!) but one of the owners threw in the dessert for free for the wait. We didn't think she had to at all, but we really appreciate the gesture. I hope this place stays open for some time. Total bill: $40 (then minus $6).

• 3 months later...

went back to apamate tonight, and found it distressingly empty. which in one way was fine, since we had a potentially fussy baby with us, but in another way kinda sucked, because i had to wonder: are people patronizing this place enough? i don't want it to close.

croquettes were as good as they've always been. the bonito empanada and anchovy pintxos were just great as well. gazpacho had an extra pepper in it--a spicy one, which is interesting because gazpacho usually isn't spicy, but it was damn good, and had a bit of avocado in it as well. braised squid wasn't as tender as it should have been, but the place was empty tonight and i'll give them a break on that one.

either way, overall the food is still excellent, and the place is not crowded. head on back, and soon! keep apamate open! hells, call me tomorrow--we'll go back with ya.

• 5 months later...

I was in the neighborhood yesterday and since I'd never been there, decided to stop in for lunch. Since I was in a little bit of a hurry, I just had a sandwich: ham and cheese on a baguette. It was a very good Serrano ham sandwich; but even more than that, it wins the Oscar for "best use of olive oil on a sandwich". It's fruity and herbal and pairs well with the ham and cheese. I asked the waitress about it; she told me that they infuse parsley into their oil. It's really good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard that Apamate is planning on bringing in some guest chefs in for special dinners from time to time, and I just found out about the first one.

Are you ready?

Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 (I'm not sure about the time, I'll try to find out...)

Guest Chef: Shola Olunloyo

Menu:

Chick Pea Stew

Chorizo "Bolognese"

Paprika Oil

Shrimp Roasted with Paella Spices

Salsa Verde

Slow cooked Egg

Lobster-Piquillo Broth

Braised Chicken "Escabeche"

Lentils, Morcilla

Almond Milk

"Queso Fresco De Cabra"

Fresh Cheese Sorbet

Arbequina Olive Oil

Olive Sugar

Price: $50 per person

BYOB

It's a small restaurant, so I'd call them and reserve a space soon if you're interested. This is looking like a ridiculously good deal to me, I don't even eat shrimp and I think I'll go anyway! I've had that chickpea stew, and I think I'd go just for that...

This is their info from menupages:

Apamate

1620 South St, Philadelphia 19146

Btwn S 16th & S 17th St

Phone: 215-790-1620

I guess you'd just say you want to reserve for the special dinner on tuesday. Ask about what time it starts...

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com