• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ditch Plains

weinoo

Went to dinner last night at D.P. - I've always loved this part of the West Village, and D.P. fits nicely on its corner location. Simple, clean space, lots of windows, bar up front. Nice friendly staff, at least at 6:30 when we arrived and were seated immediately - they take no reservations, so it will be an early or late spot, but they do open at 7 A.M. for breakfast and are open all day, so whose to argue with a midday snack.

I guess Ditch Plains is an old surfing spot out in Montauk, so we wanted to stick with seafood as our first meal. To start, we ordered the sauteed shrimp salad with frisee and smoky bacon ($13) - it was wonderful - shrimp cooked perfectly, the frisee barely wilted from the heat of the saute, and just the right amount of acid as well.

We also ordered the fried clams ($15), a lobster roll ($23), and a side of "celery" remoulade ($6) - all of which came about 2 minutes after the salad was served, much to our surprise! When I questioned our server if this was the "policy" at D.P., to basically bring everything at once, she assured me it was not - and had I made it clear that we wanted the shrimp as an appetizer, our pacing would have been better. She also apologized, saying she should have made it clear to us that lots of plates are shared, so if we want things in a particular order, to please make that clear.

Fried clams were good, with an ethereal batter that melted in our mouths, only slightly marred by an excess of salt - this coming from a person who LOVES salt.

The lobster roll was great, huge chunks of lobster bound with a nice aioli on a buttered, grilled bun. These were accompanied by a side of sweet potato chips, which to this diner were the low point of the meal - the chips (house made, I think) were so salty/spicy, as to be basically inedible - and they certainly do nothing to improve the lobster roll - good french fries, maybe, but not these. Hope they do something about this accompaniment.

Key lime pie ($8) for dessert was lovely, and we shared a half bottle of Pinot Noir from Oregon, which was a great deal ($14), like all the wines on the list.

Drinks at the bar are EXPENSIVE - two camparis with soda were $18!! To me, highway robbery unless you're pouring half a bottle of Campari into my glass, but what are you gonna do - they make up for it with some of the most reasonable wine prices in a restaurant in our whole city. I thought about having a Negroni at the bar, but decided it wasn't going to come close to Pegu's, so the "& soda" was the option I went with...at least they had the correct orange slice!

The parts of the menu that we didn't touch looked great too, and looing forward to trying the chicken pot pie, mac 'n cheese, burger, etc.

Total with drinks at the bar was $125, and at this price point, D.P. will have to remain (for dinner, at least) a once every couple of months type of place.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I had brunch here today and the food lived up to the long wait for a table. the only downside was the price in two instances.

in drinks - everyone at the bar waiting for a table was enjoying what were admittedly amazing bloody marys so we figured why not? well, the answer why not is because they're $12 each. and the burgers - it's an excellent hamburger. perfect moist absorbant potato roll, juicy thick burger right off the grill, it's the size of a double shack burger. in the basket comes a slice of tomato and some pickles for it. there's nothing on it and no lettuce in the basket. and cheese and bacon are extra. we didn't realize until other people ordered it with bacon that that was an option, but we don't regret forgoing it. why? cheese is an extra $3. and we're talking one piece of gruyere. assuming bacon is the same cost, the $12 hamburger becomes an $18 bacon cheeseburger the size of a double shack burger. the fries, crispy and so-so.

but our two other dishes were great. the salmon tartare was $11 I think. a decent portion not piled but filling the plate around was dressed with a couple thin onion slices but the best part was the blend of lemon juice, olive oil and a spicy mustard beneath the salmon. the other dish was the spicy fried calimari salad which was incredibly spicy and mixed with a few different varieties of lettuce. the portion size made it great for sharing if not enough for an entree on its own.

the waitresses seemed overwhelmed but the food arrived very fast despite the huge crowd so no complaints about service. there were plenty of whole sunday times this morning on the counter by the bar to read while you wait or to bring to your table. the check comes in a glass filled with wrapped salt water taffy, all nice touches and it's a great neighborhood spot. the only problem is it's so small. they need more two-tops but have no room for them and the booths sit four but not six. lots of the booths were filled with twos and it caused large parties to back up and wait. I'd definitely go back, I'd just lay off the booze and stick to the fish.

I spent all friday night paying for $12 cocktails at pegu club, hedeh and room 4 dessert, no problem. I don't mind if I'm paying for atmosphere. but it's the environment. no one walks into a no reservations clam shack where they play billabong surf dvds expecting a more expensive cocktail than at little branch or mas across the street.

We had a couple of $12 cocktails at Pegu last night and agree with adamru. At Pegu, my cocktails of choice had no less than 3 different types of premium spirits, bitters, fruit juices, etc., measured precisely and mixed with panache. It's a cocktail lounge and billed as such - Ditch Plains is not.

But I have no problem with a restaurateur charging what the market will bear - and hopefully even be able to stay in business. It's just that it skews what I judge a restaurant by, and that's generally price/value. Even w/o cocktails, our dinner at DP ran $100 - for food that was brought out of the kitchen at breakneck speed.

Being a lower east sider,and also looking for a way to save on our total restaurant bill, we often go out for a drink before we head to dinner. At our favorite bar - the Magician on Rivington...happy hour cocktails are $3 - $4!!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I agree, the food is good. Some of the best clam strips I've had in NY (although the last time may have been White Castles :biggrin: ). Found the burger to be a cut above the norm on qlty of meat, bun, pickles and relish. It's def slightly over-priced esp with the add-ins but with the very reasonably priced wine splits (ala Landmarc) it balances out.

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

As a long-time devotee of Landmarc, I was really looking forward to my first visit to Ditch Plains (last Friday night). Cute space, makes the most of its limitations. And fellow devotees of Landmarc will take it for granted that the quality of the food for this price point is quite high, just as one would expect from Mr. Murphy.

Based on numerous recommendations, I had the fried clams, which are a severely hefty portion for one person, but would make a nice small-ish starter for two people. Beautifully and crisply fried. Then the grilled salmon, very plainly and cleanly done, no muss no fuss, served with mixed leaf lettuce so well known to Landmarc regulars. The yellow cake with ganache frosting was superb, and something that should seriously be added to the menu downtown!

That said, I have a few caveats:

- Was served and fed in 30 minutes flat. Three courses. Yes, you need to be very clear if you don't want all your food delivered at once.

- A fellow sodium lover like weinoo, I found both my clam strips and the dressing on the lettuce accompanying my salmon noticeably oversalted.

- The music is too loud. However, as management pointed out, playing acid rock and heavy metal softly defeats the purpose.

- The wine list is a fraction the size of Landmarc, due obviously to the space limitations.

With a half bottle of the Pascal Jolivet Sancerre and tip, $70. Apropos the discussions above about the prices, it bears remembering that Marc has a great deal downtown on a much larger space, whereas Ditch Plains is about 1/4th the size and probably considerably more expensive rent-wise. Obviously this affects the price point all around, and that's the fact of life in Manhattan. Notwithstanding I'm looking forward to going back with a group and essaying a broader scope of the menu.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

The thing is, though -- and I'm not talking just about Ditch Plains, haven't been there yet, this is just a general point -- that a seller's fixed costs aren't particularly relevant to the buyer's value analysis. I love pizza. I even love average by-the-slice pizza. But I wouldn't pay, say, $5 for an average pizzeria slice. No matter what the seller's fixed costs are.

Your point is more an argument for eating in Brooklyn than a justification of Manhattan prices.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

The thing is, though -- and I'm not talking just about Ditch Plains, haven't been there yet, this is just a general point -- that a seller's fixed costs aren't particularly relevant to the buyer's value analysis.  I love pizza.  I even love average by-the-slice pizza.  But I wouldn't pay, say, $5 for an average pizzeria slice.  No matter what the seller's fixed costs are.

Your point is more an argument for eating in Brooklyn than a justification of Manhattan prices.

I understand their cost level is high.

With that said, I can essentially eat at Uovo or Bar Room at the Modern for the same price as a meal at what is essentially (very good) fish shack.

Like I said, I don't think I've ever commented on prices before.

(and the bloodies shouldn't be $12...a good cocktail, sure. but a bloody? heck, they're $10 at Eleven Madison Park)

- Was served and fed in 30 minutes flat.  Three courses.  Yes, you need to be very clear if you don't want all your food delivered at once.

- A fellow sodium lover like weinoo, I found both my clam strips and the dressing on the lettuce accompanying my salmon noticeably oversalted.

- The music is too loud.  However, as management pointed out, playing acid rock and heavy metal softly defeats the purpose.

- The wine list is a fraction the size of Landmarc, due obviously to the space limitations.

With a half bottle of the Pascal Jolivet Sancerre and tip, $70. 

It seems like everyone who has been to D.P. has a fairly similar opinion - good food, a bit of a rush job, some seasoning issues, and a tad pricey - but not necessarily for the nabe.

Was wondering if anyone has had the chips that accompanied the lobster roll when I was there, and what your thoughts are about them - or if they're still being served?

Is it (DP) a keeper?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

The chips are horrendous!!! Tasted like it came out of a bag of Terra chips. The lobster rolls are great and while the oysters were nice, they weren't worth $24 a dozen. The worst was the dessert. Go to Pearl, better food, cheaper price. I'll stop ranting, for the full review of my dinner at Ditch Plain see here.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

They really served coffee in paper cups? (yes Bond Girl - I did read your review). That's at least as ill as putting canned whipped cream on the table. They might just as well give you ketchup in those little tear-open squeeze packets. And those of you who doth protest when I dip a clam strip into a dab of ketchup - just keep it to yourself :laugh:

I really enjoyed Landmarc on my one visit there but this far I'me not feeling an urge to try DP on my next trip to the city. Too many other choices in that price range. But I'm sure that if you live in the neighbo0rhood, eat out a lot and it's in your budgetary range - maybe okay?

I am curious about the possibility that they have no oven - and it certainly is possible.