• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping it real

Florida Jim

2002 Bergerie de l’Hortus, Pic Saint Loup Classique:

A touch of the Rhone on the nose which is very reticent; a lightly fruited, straight-forward, lean, unbalanced toward acidity wine that seems a bit brittle to me. Not worth the $8.

2005 Caldora, Sangiovese Terre di Chieti:

Grapes and raspberries on the nose; the same on the palate with a fruit sweet delivery that is smooth, simple and pleasant. Not classy but certainly quaffable and went well with a pressed Cuban sandwich. About $8.

N/V Louis Perdier, Brut Blanc de Blanc:

An odd, but perfectly acceptable, mix of slightly sweet and slightly dry impressions with a healthy bead and nice sustain. Not a great bubbly but okay for $6; still, one glass will do.

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos de Allées:

The texture and breadth of a fine, aged Chablis; the penetrating flavor and cut of a great Muscadet; with an extremely long finish and an entire world of nuance on both the nose and palate. Sensational with grilled chicken and, at $7 on sale, cheap at three times the price.

2003 Dom “La Garrigue,” Côtes du Rhône Cuvée Romaine:

Very nice nose of meat, salty minerality, red fruit and spice; equally good on the palate with nothing overblown, solid fruit and mineral flavors with nuance, excellent balance and acidity; a medium length, bright finish. At $10, a delicious, savory wine that accompanies pasta with pesto beautifully.

(A very nice and all too rare, 2003 success.)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim, I always enjoy your notes. And, FINALLY, I had a wine that you have tasted and written about - the "La Garrigue." While I can't describe it like you did (my tasting vocabulary is severely limited) I agree that it was a very nice wine that went beautifully with the grilled (unmarinated) lamb chops we had that night.

Thanks again for the notes.

Rick Azzarano

Jim, I always enjoy your notes.  And, FINALLY, I had a wine that you have tasted and written about - the "La Garrigue." 

Razzar,

I am not all that familiar with the producer but, from folks who are, I hear that they do good work every vintage, even when the going gets tough like in 2003. At that price, words to remember.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com