• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hyde Park, NY -- CIA

I'm going on a trip soon to take a class at the CIA in Hyde Park, NY. I live in a supply challenged area, so I have to buy much of my stuff on line. Great if you know what you are looking for, but not the same as a real store. I love to just wander around a brick and mortar place checking things out.

Are there any places near the CIA in NY that I should check out? Not looking for anything in particular, but always on the lookout for a new toy to add to my collection.... :raz:

Thanks!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Are there any places near the CIA in NY that I should check out?  Not looking for anything in particular, but always on the lookout for a new toy to add to my collection.... :raz:

Thanks!

My wife and I took courses there last Saturday -- Plating Desserts and Artisanal Baking, respectively. After class we went to THE KITCHEN DRAWER, two miles north on route 9, right side of the road. They have a wide selection of equipment including the CIA-label stuff. Judging from the inventory of knife cases and less espensive tools, I would guess that a lot of the CIA students shop there.

Bob Wooster

Yeah I second going to Warren (take route 9 about 40 minutes north of CIA, same road and everything). Also, because when youre done you can go another 5 minutes north and eat the best soft serve EVER at Holy Cow.. a delicious giant cone for like, a dollar and and change.

Rico

Definately go to Warren. It's only 20-25 minutes, and it is a pleasant drive.

Edited by adegiulio (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson