• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q&A: Homebrewing

There is significanlty less activity and Krauzen on this red ale than the Golden. Is this correct? Is it a function of lower ratio of fermentable malt? Did I just screw up?

The airlock is bubbling was about once every ten seconds about 15 hrs in.

Also, my Golden Ale is getting very clear and starting to look less like Snapple Iced Tea and more like Beer :)

MSK

Edited by Msk (log)

There is significanlty less activity and Krauzen on this red ale than the Golden.  Is this correct?  Is it a function of lower ratio of  fermentable malt?  Did I just screw up?

The airlock is bubbling was about once every ten seconds about 15 hrs in.

Also, my Golden Ale is getting very clear and starting to look less like Snapple Iced Tea and more like Beer :)

MSK

Less krausen is fine. Was noted by other above too. Give it its 2 weeks and all will be well.

And yes, a little time in the bottle allows everything to settle out and clarify the beer.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Hey all

Well today I woke up and decided that I would call in sick to work. After making the phone call and getting over my flu very quickly :raz: I was at a loss as to what to do with my day. Brew I thought and brew I did.

I decided to go out on a limb and try something new and so went and bought some Haaz hops, lager yeast and some pilsener grain.

On further reading I found out that pilseners are slightly harder to make as you have to ferment them slowly and at a low temperature. As it is in the middle of winter here I suppose it is the right time but still it rarely gets below 60.

my recipe is very sketchy as I have just taken the general idea from others I saw on the internet. I am making about a 4 gallon batch with 1.3kg (2.9 pounds) of light malt, 800 grams (1.7 pounds) German pilsener grain, 200 gr (.45 pounds) of another light grain used in the last recipe, saaz hops at 60, 10 and aroma and a lager yeast. Using these ingredients, I just followed the steps as per the red ale.

Well that is all, a bit of a risk but good fun experimenting and if it turns out well I will be very pleased with myself.

Chris any hints and/or comments would be welcome even if you think I have probably made a batch of rubbish.

Anyhow

Happy brewing

Rom

Rombot,

Not that this is informed advice, but (as in above posts) I used a Pilsner yeast recently without really adhering to the rules. Although I didn't get (and wasn't shooting for) a Pilsner taste, it still did the business. I'm sure you'll still get 4 gallons of the amber nectar.

Nice work with the day off :biggrin:

Matt

Oh dear... You're probably going to end up with some unconverted starch in that beer... The pilsner grain is not a caramelized malt, so it requires the special step called mashing... that is the next lesson, for which you all seem quite ready... the steeping proceedure will have allowed some of the mashing reactions to have occurred, but at the 160-ish temperatures I recommended, it will have tended towards sweeter less fermentable sugars.

So, you'll get something interesting, and have a base-line of understanding the conversion of starch that mashing does... The fun of the mashing is exercizing control over just where the starch ends up on the sweet vs. fermentable scale when the conversion is done.

Now would be a good time to formally introduce you to the recipe calculator at http://www.hbd.org/recipator (be warned that the web hosting for it is somewhat flaky, so sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.)

It will allow you to get an idea of what your recipe will yield with a report that looks something like this (it's actually in table form and prettier on the webpage):

Rombot's Pilsner-ish

Style:

Type: Partial mash Size: 4 gallons

Color: 8 HCU (~6 SRM)

Bitterness: 16 IBU

OG: 1.042 FG: 1.011

Alcohol: 4.1% v/v (3.2% w/w)

Grain: 1.7 lb. Belgian Pilsner

.45 lb. Belgian CaraVienne

Boil: SG 1.042 4 gallons

2.9 lb. Light dry malt extract

Hops: .66 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 60 min.)

.66 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 10 min.)

.66 oz. Saaz (aroma)

That is what I put together from what you told me, and based on what you did, you're going to end up with a somewhat sweet, light beer. If you go to the webpage and enter as much of what you actually did as you can remember, it will calculate a more accurate picture of what the OG and IBUs of your beer will be. The FG is a guess, since we don't know exactly what went on in the mashing reactions and how much of the starch changed into sugar, or what kind of sugar.

Edited by cdh (log)

Oh dear...  You're probably going to end up with some unconverted starch in that beer...  The pilsner grain is not a caramelized malt, so it requires the special step called mashing... that is the next lesson, for which you all seem quite ready...  the steeping proceedure will have allowed some of the mashing reactions to have occurred, but at the 160-ish temperatures I recommended, it will have tended towards sweeter less fermentable sugars.

So, you'll get something interesting, and have a base-line of understanding the conversion of starch that mashing does... The fun of the mashing is exercizing control over just where the starch ends up on the sweet vs. fermentable scale when the conversion is done.

Now would be a good  time to formally introduce you to the recipe calculator at http://www.hbd.org/recipator  (be warned that the web hosting for it is somehwt flaky, so sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.)

It will allow you to get an idea of what your recipe will yield with a report that looks something like this (it's actually in table form and prettier on the webpage):

Rombot's Pilsner-ish

Style: 

Type:  Partial mash  Size:  4 gallons

Color:  8 HCU (~6 SRM) 

Bitterness:  16 IBU

OG:  1.042  FG:  1.011

Alcohol:  4.1% v/v (3.2% w/w)

Grain:  1.7 lb. Belgian Pilsner

.45 lb. Belgian CaraVienne

Boil:  SG 1.042  4 gallons

2.9 lb. Light dry malt extract

Hops:  .66 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 60 min.)

.66 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 10 min.)

.66 oz. Saaz (aroma)

That is what I put together from what you told me, and based on what you did, you're going to end up with a somewhat sweet, light beer.  If you go to the webpage and enter as much of what you actually did as you can remember, it will calculate a more accurate picture of what the OG and IBUs of you beer will be.  The FG is a guess, since we don't know exactly what went on in the mashing reactions and how much of the starch changed into sugar, or what kind of sugar.

Hey all

Oh well a sweet light beer I will have :rolleyes: , I really should of done a bit more reading before jumping in the deep end, or asked on a forum but it was a spur of the moment thing and I got a bit carried away with it all.

I cant say that I am totally disappointed it was a good day of listening to load music and playing around with beer stuff. I figure the more I play with things the more likely I will learn and if I have stuffed this one up well so be it.

Oh damn I have to go to work tomorrow and I cant call in twice in a row. I recommend a "sick" day to you all as it does wonders for the soul.

anyhow

have a great day

Rom

Hey Chris

Most definitely Ill keep you informed. As long as it is not to sweet it might be ok if chilled icy cold for a 100-degree summer’s day and if its really bad I will just give it to people I don’t like.

Rom

Had a great friend over this weekend and chilled two of the golden ales fully understanding they would not be totally carbonated (only one week in the bottle). They were carbonated enough and tasted great. Seriously great. Its official I'm hooked and can't wait till the red ale finishes this weekend. I'm so glad I decided to jump on in even if late!

Msk

I finally got to try the second recipe this past weekend, here is a picture of the Rich Red Ale (still more like brown with a faint reddish hue :smile: )

gallery_5404_94_239355.jpg

The best way to describe this one is by the term "adult". It is more of an adult/mature drinking beer. It sure is rich, hoppy with a nice bitter edge. Almost like an IPA. Compared to this, our first beer is more simple in taste. I have a feeling that more people would like the first one more. Afterall it was sweeter and not as hoppy. Also for some reason this was much more carbonated even though I used the same amount of priming sugar for my first and second beers. Probably due to the different yeast strain? I had to pour it very gently so as to not create too much foam. Overall I could not be happier with my beer, sitting on the carpet, watching the world cup final and drinking my own brew was pretty awsome. Note the "non-hovering" beer glass this time around.

Now on to the next beer.

BTW, Chris I really want to make my own Porter in the future. Do you have a good recipe you can recommend? Maybe with the addition of some oak chips (these are sometimes used, right?)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

you want to expose this beer to the full onslaught of summer heat.

Perfect for Houston! Are you sure about that though. Temperature here is in the hight 90's, maybe even low 100s in July-August. Is that still ok?

You could, if you wanted to, stretch this beer out past the two gallons it is planned for. If you were to add another pound of extract, quarter pound of sugar, and .25 oz of bittering hops for every extra gallon of water you add to it, it will maintain its character pretty well out to about 5 gallons.

Chris to make a 4 gallon batch, there is no need to double any other ingredients (spices, yeast, malt). Use the same amount of everything except what you outlined above?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The best way to describe this one is by the term "adult". It is more of an adult/mature drinking beer. It sure is rich, hoppy with a nice bitter edge. Almost like an IPA. Compared to this, our first beer is more simple in taste. I have a feeling that more people would like the first one more. Afterall it was sweeter and not as hoppy. Also for some reason this was much more carbonated even though I used the same amount of priming sugar for my first and second beers. Probably due to the different yeast strain? I had to pour it very gently so as to not create too much foam. Overall I could not be happier with my beer, sitting on the carpet, watching the world cup final and drinking my own brew was pretty awsome. Note the "non-hovering" beer glass this time around.

You're tasting exactly what I'd wanted you to taste with that second recipe. It took the use of the specialty grains out towards the limits of what you can do with them, and the added complexity going on in there is the result.

As an experiment, you might want to try making a blend of batch 1 and batch 2. Get a bottle of each, and mix them in various proportions. You'll be able to figure out just how much of the specialty grain kick you enjoy in your beers, and be able to scale your recipes accordingly.

BTW, Chris I really want to make my own Porter in the future. Do you have a good recipe you can recommend? Maybe with the addition of some oak chips (these are sometimes used, right?)

Hmmmm... porters, eh? There's a recipe out there for a Bourbon Vanilla Porter I've been meaning to try... maybe we can brew that one... Add some of the chipped Jack Daniels barrels to a secondary fermentor... and I'd bet we'd get a nice beer. I'll give recipe adaptation some thought and let you know as you're getting done with the Saison. My trial batch of the Saison is drinking really nicely right now... I think you'll all enjoy it. I made mine with Wyeast 3944, which is a witbier yeast, hence a bit sour... but I like it that way.

As to brewing it in Houston temperatures, cool it down to 70 or so and pitch your yeast, then keep it inside for the first few days, then keep it outside in the shade in a ventilated space for 2 to 3 weeks... and consider using the 3724 family of yeasts, which are really happy fermenting up into the 90s. They'll throw all sorts of fruity peppery complexity into the beer. If you can get your hands on a bottle of Saison Dupont, give it a taste and you'll see where this beer is aimed. It is fermented as warm as 95, or so I've read. So you want it some place where it won't get too baked, but can get up to around 90

Chris to make a 4 gallon batch, there is no need to double any other ingredients (spices, yeast, malt). Use the same amount of everything except what you outlined above?

The character of the adjuncts and malt will stretch just fine from their representation in the original recipe. The spicing is really up to you... play around, but don't go overboard. The yeast should be fine without going through the starter process for a 4 gallon batch.

I'm hoping to do the brewing this weekend, got my cooler and I'll order my ingredients tomorrow. Is there a good book you can recommend that discusses the flavor characteristics of grains and what they add?

I bottled my Red Ale this past weekend, and as far as 70 F degree flat beer goes it was killer! :smile:

Most importantly it was not infected.

Chris, if we were to remake that firts beer with Amber DME, what flavor differences would we see. I almost want to brew a batch with all Amber DME so I can get a sense of the ingredient flavor profiles.

MSK

Apologies for butting in but, I'm planning on brewing up a small batch of Porter (extract with steeped grains) in the next week or two. I'll gladly post the recipe if Chris okays it, and we can even do a brew-along. Personally I think you should get the recipe for the base beer to where you like it before doing things like adding wood chips or spices or fruit or whatever.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I'm hoping to do the brewing this weekend, got my cooler and I'll order my ingredients tomorrow.  Is there a good book you can recommend that discusses the flavor characteristics of grains and what they add?

Chris, if we were to remake that firts beer with Amber DME, what flavor differences would we see.  I almost want to brew a batch with all Amber DME so I can get a sense of the ingredient flavor profiles.

MSK

As to books on grain flavors, they're not going to do the trick for you since the number of varieties of grain is huge, and the selection on the market keeps changing.

Factors to consider, however are:

Is the grain from a 2-row barley plant or a 6-row barley plant? There are different breeds of barley that farmers grow. Some produce heads with only 2 rows of kernels, while others produce heads with 6 rows. The 6-row barley, when malted, has a lot more of the enzymes in it that convert starches to sugars. Using 6-row barley as a base malt is necessary when you're brewing with a large percentage of adjuncts that don't bring along the power to convert themselves. 6-row also packs a more grain-y flavor, so a recipe calling for 2-row that gets brewed with 6-row will taste different. There are specific strains of 2-row barley that often get called for in recipes, like Marris Otter, or Optic, or Golden Promise. These are all 2-row barley, but with slightly different characteristics. Farmers will often grow something new that has a better yield, or a better adaptation to their particular farmland, and another type of grain will enter the market... often you'll not know that is the case, however, as base malts sometimes don't indicate exactly which strain of barley they came from.

Knowing all that, you have to ask what kind of barley your specialty grains started out as... a 10L crystal malt made from Nebraska 6-row will taste different from a crystal 10 made from Belgian 2-row. I don't know that the taste vocabulary has developed enough to accurately describe the differences in a way that anybody could understand.

Who processed the grain? Along with those funny varietal names, you'll also see calls for specific maltsters in particularly detailed recipes. For example, you might see a call for Crisp Marris Otter... that "crisp" is not a descriptor of a physical property of the grain, but rather a specific malting house in England called Crisp. Simpson's, Fawcett, and Baird are others located in the British Isles. In older Belgian style recipes, you might see calls for DWC grains... which you won't find on the market anymore since the DeWolf-Cosyns company in Belgium was bought out by Interbrew and closed down.

There are subtle differences between all of the maltsters' products, and again, I don't think that the vocabulary is there to sufficiently inform you through words on a page. It is better to chew on a kernel or two of the grain to get an idea of its flavor rather than relying on a book to tell you what it is like.

Chris, if we were to remake that firts beer with Amber DME, what flavor differences would we see.  I almost want to brew a batch with all Amber DME so I can get a sense of the ingredient flavor profiles.

MSK

Using amber DME you'd end up with something closer resembling Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. The Cascade hops are part of their flavor profile, and moving to a darker more caramelized malt will add in that flavor element as well.

Edited by cdh (log)

Hey All

Well, I have tried the red ale and it seems that all my beers are flat. I have tried about 3 different bottles and none of them have any fizz that last more that 30 seconds or so. I am not to sure what I have done wrong, but will leave them all for another few weeks and try them, hopefully with more luck.

My experimental batch seems to be going ok I think I will bottle it in a week or so and then get started on the next brew. As it happens I have an old cooler in the yard that has a spiggot and although it needs a really good scrub, it will do the job perfectly. I have looked at my big mesh bag and it seems that it wont be big enough to fit the cooler . I am thinking of either putting the grains in and tying it closed and using it like a tea bag, or getting some moscitto netting and just making one.

Anyhow, not a very exciting update but I hope all is going well for you all

Rom

Hey All

Well, I have tried the red ale and it seems that all my beers are flat. I have tried about 3 different bottles and none of them have any fizz that last more that 30 seconds or so. I am not to sure what I have done wrong, but will leave them all for another few weeks and try them, hopefully with more luck.

What temperature are they sitting at? It is winter time down there for you, so the temp may be low enough that the yeast have gone dormant. Warm them up to at least 20C, and agitate the bottles to re-suspend the yeast.

If you're impatient to try them, and have any of the first batch around, you might try blending some of flat batch 2 into fizzy batch 1 and get an idea of what it will be like.. .

My experimental batch seems to be going ok I think I will bottle it in a week or so and then get started on the next brew. As it happens I have an old cooler in the yard that has a spiggot and although it needs a really good scrub, it will do the job perfectly. I have looked at my big mesh bag and it seems that it wont be big enough to fit the cooler . I am thinking of either putting the grains in and tying it closed and using it like a tea bag, or getting some moscitto netting and just making one.

Anyhow, not a very exciting update but I hope all is going well for you all

Rom

Michael--

You're welcome to put up a recipe and take the lead on a porter... they're not something I've brewed in years.

Thanks, Chris. I'm looking forward to this one. I'll start by simply posting the recipe that I'll be working with, but if anybody wants to scale it up or down, or even tweak it in any way I'll be more than happy to address those issues.

This recipe is on the hoppy side, but not unreasonably so. It can easily be toned down a bit by eliminating one of the late hop additions. The method is the same as used for the Red Ale.

Porter

2 ½ gal. ferment (I will be boiling 2 3/4 gal.)

3 lb. Light DME

6 oz. Crystal Malt 80L

5 oz. Chocolate Malt or 6 oz. Carafa I (de-husked)

Crack grains, place in strainer bag and steep 30 min at 155F

1 oz. Goldings (6%) or 6 AAU- 60 min.

44 IBU approx. @ 25% util.

½ oz. Tettnang @ 5 min.

½ oz. Tettnang – @ Flameout

o.g. 1.054ish proj. f.g. 1.014

Nottingham Dry Yeast at 68F

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Did the Saison last night. What a disaster! When I opened the spiggot on the cooler to drain the first run it sprayed everywhere. In addition the grain bag would continually block the spout, then as I would try to move it the pressure would shoot the beer over the kettle. It would have made a great comedy sketch (though my wife wasn't laughing"

I used Beeersmith free trial to scale the recipe and was hoping to get 5 gallons. I probably would have gotten 5 if I didn't spew so much all over the floor. I ended up with about 3 and a half gallons in the fermentor.

I perservered and got it into the kettle and boiling and from that point things went a bit smoother. Except the yeast vial exploded when I opened it, so I am praying for no infection from that.

The good news is the fermentor is bubbling away in the garage this morning. I think I will do this outside next time (at least the mash). I may look into buying one of those cooking elements for outside use too.

In the next day or two I'll post shots of the previous two beers

Well I certainly will know what to expect next time.

Msk