• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dallas korean

mrbigjas

rumor has it there's a decent-sized korean population in dallas, perhaps even an area that might be referred to as 'little korea.' from my preliminary research, it would appear that a place called seoul garden is pretty much da bomb when it comes to korean, specifically korean bbq. so my questions are:

1. is it still? most reviews i've found are a couple years old.

2. if not, any other recommendations?

3. or is the korean population of dallas fragmented and westernified enough that we shouldn't bother? the person we're visiting has expressed an interest in the cuisine, and it's one of my favorites, so i figured if there's a good place we'll take him out for it. but if not, we'll wait till the next time he comes to philadelphia...

thanks folks.

There is a very large Korean population in Dallas.

On 35 & Royal Lane head either direction on Royal.

To the West

KoMart for shopping. You can purchase all the Korean side dishes like anchovies in chili etc. for very good prices.

Several different restaurants in the area.

To the East:

Just east of 35 is Seoul Garden it's next to the quick mart on the corner of Reeder road & Royal. I would rate them as the best table BBQ. They bring you hot coals to cook on rather than electric or Gas.

Further east is Korea House which is one of the oldest in Dallas and still pretty darn good. You will find many shops and restaurants in the area.

Never trust a skinny chef

To the East: 

Just east of 35 is Seoul Garden it's next to the quick mart on the corner of Reeder road & Royal.  I would rate them as the best table BBQ.  They bring you hot coals to cook on rather than electric or Gas.

OK, yeah, this is where I went. It was several years back but it was delicious. A fun and enlightening evening with helpful waitstaff and a complete revalation about a culture and cusine I didn't (and sadly still don't) know much about.

Korean food is wonderful in Dallas.

For a noodle place, try:

You-Chun Korean

2254 Royal Lane, #100

(972) 243-1818

The panchan (the small plates before a meal) is limited to a few dishes, but it's a very good noodle and soup place. I was always the only anglo.

I also enjoyed Seoul Garden

Seoul Garden

2502 Royal Ln.

(972) 484-6090

It's hard to find. There is a little sign in English on the road, but I think that the actual building only has signs in Korean. The panchan was great. Six bowls just for me. I always went alone, so I didn't get to try the BBQ. The bibimbap in stone pot was excellent.

If you're lucky, you'll get the candied fish with the panchan.

Coshun Kalbi

2560 Royal Ln.

This was also a favorite. I probably went here the most. It's very hard to find. It's hidden in the back arcade of a large strip mall.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Coshun Kalbi

2560 Royal Ln.

This was also a favorite. I probably went here the most. It's very hard to find. It's hidden in the back arcade of a large strip mall.

Which one? I assume one of the corners of Royal and Harry hines?

Mrbigjas, Seoul Garden is wonderful, and you can call for directions. You just have to prod a bit for the details. Most of the places in that area are greater than decent. Just don't make the mistake of wondering in to Korea House Restaurant. Other than that, you'll do fine.

Rice pie is nice.

Coshun Kalbi

2560 Royal Ln.

Which one? I assume one of the corners of Royal and Harry hines?

If remember correctly, it's in the middle of the block between Harry Hines and the expressway. It's the strip mall with the Korean bakery, which is also worth visiting.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

• 2 months later...

I went to Seoul Garden this week and I would recommend that you skip it.

The ban chan was ok (not great but not bad). I had Karbi with Nang Myun combo. It's about $22 with tip. I found the meat to be tough and poor quality and the Nang Myun un-edible (I had two bites and left the rest). I can say it ranks up there with some of the worst korean I've ever had.

On an up note however, I did find a hole in the wall korean noodle place. I don't recall the resturant but I have the credit card slip somewhere. From the airport head 635 east. Take 35E south and get off at the first exit (for Royal road). Ramp ends at a 4 way stop. Make a left on to stemmons FWY. 200 yards on the rigth is a butcher and next to it is a noodle place. About 10 tables and really good noodles and korean version of chinease food (this is nothing like the chinese you get thought). Things to get are Ja Jang Myun (noodles with black bean sauce, $5), Yaki Mandoo (fried dumpling, $5), Jamp Pong (noodels with spicy seafood soup, very spicy $6) and Tang Soo Yook (sweet and sour beef $6).

They gave me large portions and it was authentic and really good. Down side is that I don't think I would go to this part of the neigborhood after dark. Seemed a bit seedy.

• 3 weeks later...
I went to Seoul Garden this week and I would recommend that you skip it.

The ban chan was ok (not great but not bad). I had Karbi with Nang Myun combo. It's about $22 with tip. I found the meat to be tough and poor quality and the Nang Myun un-edible (I had two bites and left the rest). I can say it ranks up there with some of the worst korean I've ever had.

just curious which cut of meat you had. some are more tender than others. plus, the secret is not to overcook the meat. if you do, it will definitely be too tough. most of the meats are marinated, so i don't see how it could have been that tough unless you ordered a particular cut i'm thinking of and overcooked it. just my $0.02.
On an up note however, I did find a hole in the wall korean noodle place.  I don't recall the resturant but I have the credit card slip somewhere.  From the airport head 635 east.  Take 35E south and get off at the first exit (for Royal road).  Ramp ends at a 4 way stop.  Make a left on to stemmons FWY.  200 yards on the rigth is a butcher and next to it is a noodle place.  About 10 tables and really good noodles and korean version of chinease food (this is nothing like the chinese you get thought).  Things to get are Ja Jang Myun (noodles with black bean sauce, $5), Yaki Mandoo (fried dumpling, $5), Jamp Pong (noodels with spicy seafood soup, very spicy $6) and Tang Soo Yook (sweet and sour beef $6). 

They gave me large portions and it was authentic and really good.  Down side is that I don't think I would go to this part of the neigborhood after dark.  Seemed a bit seedy.

i went there when it first opened and found it to be so-so. i don't know about it being seedy though, especially since they shut down those bath houses across the street.

for good jajang myun in k-town, try royal wok. it's at the west end of the chosun galbi building in the back, behind the cafe at the corner.

my favorite for jajang myun is richardson - chien garden (an dong jang, in korean). northeast corner of arapaho and plano road. my family's been eating there since the 80's.

there are also different types of jajang myun. i usually get the samsun gan jajang myun -- it's got more flavor and has seafood in it.

Edited by stussy (log)