• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: It Came from the '80s ('88 Montille Mitans,

jrufusj

THREE FROM THE '80s ('83 RAPHET CdlR, '85 GUIGAL HERMITAGE, '88 MONTILLE MITANS) - Elevage Wine Bar (3/22/2006)

A friend is leaving the firm, so we headed out for a few sips and a bite or two. Various things eaten at the counter: salami, pork terrine, fennel-flavored sausage, sautéed foie gras, green salad, tipe a la mode de Caen. Very nice selection of reasonably priced wines (for a Tokyo wine bar) by the bottle with about ten or twelve different things available by the glass.

Only drawback was the cigarette smoke that would occasionally overwhelm the wines.

• 1983 Jean Raphet Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis
    Clear fading red still rich at center but nearing a light orange at the edge. Nose immediately shows gentle blue cheese, freshly picked button mushrooms, typical pinot flavors of beetroot and cherry. Overwhelming impression is of cleanliness and pinot character. On the palate, there is good acid, fully resolved tannin, and a chalky spine. It is thin in the mid-palate but the tautness helps to fill it out. The finish brings out pine needle and dry earth, but is relatively short with only a bit of lingering fruit sweetness. A wine that is elegant and stylish without being manipulated and that stands up on the basis of its space frame-like structure. While the flavors are pure and elegant, they also approach close enough to anemia that I think I would have had quite a hard time with a blind guess. Discernibly pinot; discernibly Bourgogne; maybe discernible as Côte de Nuits, but no more than that. Lacks flavor impact, but enjoyable for its shadowy elegance.
  • 1985 E. Guigal Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    Clear deepish red just fading at the edge. Nose is of light iron, plum, high-toned red berry fruit and a little leather. Palate shows light tarry earth and tin-tinged plum in a fully resolved and lowish acid package. An interesting contrast to the prior wine, as each of the notes was pleasing and probably had more actual flavor impact than in the Raphet, but the structure was pretty much gone. Even though it was only mid-weight, it seemed to be waiting to collapse upon itself at any moment. Lacks will and resolve.
  • 1988 Hubert de Montille Volnay Les Mitans 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay
    Bright cherry red color, fairly sharp all the way to the rim – youthful looking. On the nose there is mineral rich earth, both acerola and darker fruit, forest leaf. Both the nose and palate are pure, clean and incisive. With time, a piercingly high tone comes out on the nose – almost a harmony note on the basic fruit – as does a washed-rind cheese note. The palate shows more earth and sappy red fruit within a still very strong and sturdy acid structure. On the enduring finish (and with time in glass), the tannins emerge and still have a slightly raspy quality. What I most love about Montille wines is the extremely precise, almost painfully etched detail. At its best, that is combined with a great sappiness, as it is here. The one mark against this wine is the raspiness to the tannins that I fear may never go away, but this is an ’88 after all. This one’s a winner in my book.

Nice to taste the Montille. Several of the Montille '88s are in the market out here right now. At the right price, I'd definitely buy. Very happy to have had the Raphet and would be interested to try in a smoke-free environment to see if it had more flavor impact then. Hermitage was not much, but then I didn't expect a lot either.

Posted from CellarTracker

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.