• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Radegast From Czech

Bill Poster

Since a friend brought some of this back for me last year, i have been hooked. So everytime he goes back I ask him to bring me more.

Its not as dry as Urquel; more like belgian than czech beer.

Anyone tried this?

Edited by Bill Poster (log)

The only time I've had Radegast was in Prague in 1992. That was at a time when one could get a 16-ounce bottle for 25 cents American. I believe Radegast enjoys a larger market share in the Czech Republic than does Urquell. I remember liking it quite a bit, and ordering it more than Urquell. I've not come across it since.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

• 2 weeks later...

Radegast is actually somewhat like the PBR of the Czech Republic (without the hipster following)- a good beer, but one that is a bit maligned because it is very cheap. It definitely does not have a larger market share than Pilsner Urquell though. However, you can still buy it at a grocery store for around 25 cents a half liter, but then again, you can buy the best beers for around 50 cents. And there are definitely cheaper beers, although I find that once you get to the 8-10 cents per half liter ones, the quality does start to drop to around that of Budweiser or Miller in the US.

In any case, I agree that Radegast is a very good beer. If you like it, I'd definitely recommend exploring some of the other Czech beers beyond Urqell or Czechvar/Budvar (both of which, in my opinion, travel horribly). The Urquell available in the US is actually made differently than the domestic kind (with Polish water, at a different plant, etc) and I think it tastes like an entirely different beer, and a pretty mediocre one at that.

Some excellent but harder to find Czech beers include Staropramen, Ferdinand, Branik and Bernard. Some of the dark czech beers are also good (especially Krusovice, but also Klaster dark and Herold), although they are considered the more "girly" option in the beer soaked CZR, on account of their fruit undertones.

Lastly, I would encourage any beer lover to make a trip to Prague. The Czech's beer

culture really is outstanding. Tthey consume more beer than any other country in the world and take beer making and consuming VERY seriously. I'll never forget things like the factory workers at the Skoda car works sipping their Pilner's at 10 am in the morning from built in coasters on the assembly line.

Excellent post Pistachio Disguisey.

I've been enjoying the Herold Pils for the first time this past week and I think it is a very nice beer. It's very dry, though, and comes across better at warmer temperatures (45-50F).

I think I enjoyed the Starobrno the best of all of the Czech beers that I've had, then again it was on draft and about as fresh as you can expect to get it in the States. I haven't seen it in a while, though, but it is also worth keeping an eye out for.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

The Urquell available in the US is actually made differently than the domestic kind (with Polish water, at a different plant, etc) and I think it tastes like an entirely different beer, and a pretty mediocre one at that.
On a similar topic...aren't a lot of the Czech hops sold and exported to U.S. breweries?
Some excellent but harder to find Czech beers include Staropramen, Ferdinand, Branik and Bernard.  Some of the dark czech beers are also good (especially Krusovice, but also Klaster dark and Herold), although they are considered the more "girly" option in the beer soaked CZR, on account of their fruit undertones.
Guilty as charged. :biggrin: Although the caramel undertone appeals more to me than any fruit one.

(Starobrno :wub: )