• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CHEESEMAKERS in Cleveland

kaneel

Just for information . . . I first became aware of Cheesemakers when I attended the first Spec's Cheese Tasting in 2004. They had a set up right at the entrance, complete with goats. Since previous links to their site may not work, here is the latest.

As you can see, their products are now pretty widely available. Well, at least some are. I am addicted to their Jaimito brand Queso Quesadilla and don't always find it in the usual places. I think Spec's carries the most complete line. While I certainly haven't sampled everything, those that I have tried are really good.

I haven't made it for the tour yet, but I intend to. Nice folks.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

there are cheesemakers in the houston area than most people think - we use one that provides us with some really good stuff ... but not so legal by USDA terms

My wife is one of those, but not on commercial terms. She started making cheese three years ago. Her chevre and ricotta are amazing, much better than anything you can find in a store. Fresh ingredients really help. It took a while, but we found several sources for fresh unpasteurized goats milk.

You can find fresh goat cheese at the farmers markets at T'afia and Onion Creek. I am not sure about the one on Richmond.

According to the Cheesemakers website, tours are $6. Call 1-936-537-3570

to schedule an appointment.

Lindsey

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe