• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ordering wine online

I was wondering if anyone could relay there experiences with ordering wine from internet sites in Australia? How was the service? Is there any worry about them delivering the wine in the heat of summer or is there a way around getting your wine baked? Any particular companies recommended or not recommended?

I have used http://www.winestar.com.au/ without any trouble in the past; I used them between 2000 and 2003 (when I left Oz), buying about 15 cases a year. They were always helpful, always delivered on time, and I never had any customer service/ support issues. Occasionally some wine did go out of stock, but they always rang when that happened to discuss options.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

I have heard positive comments about winestar too.

My favourite winemaker in the Barossa, Charles Melton, offers an excellent direct from cellar door mail order service. Main Ridge Estate, probably the best Pinot Noir in the country (in my opinion) also offers an excellent mail order service. Not sure about overseas sales though, but google them and have a look!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

There was an article about WineStar in the Age's technology section a couple of years ago. It was about how the large retail companies like Coles-Myer and Woolworths tried to develop an internet retail presence of wine. But after pouring millions of dollars into the projects, they failed. Meanwhile, WineStar started small and spread through word of mouth.

I'm acquanited with Bert from WineStar (he's a good North Melbourne boy), and hopefully he'll join in this discussion later.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Hello everyone, my first post here but I have been busy reading up on many of the forums on this board while awaiting my registration. I dare say i will be a regular.

I am the principal at WineStar and was buoyed by some of the nice comments people have made about our company in this thread. Thank you.

In regards to the initial query, WineStar and other reputable online wine retailers will have a heat policy. Our policy stipulates that we reserve the right to hold wine in the event of extreme heat at either origin, destination or at any point during the journey. The customer (always being right and all :raz: ) always has the ability to overrule the policy and request immediate dispatch but by and large the policy is appreciated and adhered to by all.

Happy Wining!

Bert Werden

WineStar Australia

Never heard of them, but what's the wine? I'm curious...

It's called Kanta. An Adelaide Hills Riesling that is made by Egon Muller and I'm curious to try it. But since I'm in Cessnock NSW I haven't found a way to get my hands on it. Won't be able to get to Sydney any time soon and I'm not sure if any shop there would have it anyway. The only place online that seems to sell it was www.winezy.com.au but I didn't really want a whole case....

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on Kreglinger sparkling wine too.

Hello everyone, my first post here but I have been busy reading up on many of the forums on this board while awaiting my registration. I dare say i will be a regular.

I am the principal at WineStar and was buoyed by some of the nice comments people have made about our company in this thread. Thank you.

In regards to the initial query, WineStar and other reputable online wine retailers will have a heat policy. Our policy stipulates that we reserve the right to hold wine in the event of extreme heat at either origin, destination or at any point during the journey. The customer (always being right and all  :raz:  ) always has the ability to overrule the policy and request immediate dispatch but by and large the policy is appreciated and adhered to by all.

Happy Wining!

Welcome to the boards Star! hope you enjoy your stay. I remember reading the profile of your company in the SMH and was very impressed by your dedication. What are you drinking at the moment?

PS: I am a guy.

Never heard of them, but what's the wine? I'm curious...

It's called Kanta. An Adelaide Hills Riesling that is made by Egon Muller and I'm curious to try it. But since I'm in Cessnock NSW I haven't found a way to get my hands on it. Won't be able to get to Sydney any time soon and I'm not sure if any shop there would have it anyway. The only place online that seems to sell it was www.winezy.com.au but I didn't really want a whole case....

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on Kreglinger sparkling wine too.

They don't do mixed dozens? If so, how peculiar... I'll dig around the traps because I am curious. See if I can find a bottle and post it to you.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Welcome to the boards Star! hope you enjoy your stay. I remember reading the profile of your company in the SMH and was very impressed by your dedication. What are you drinking at the moment?

Thanks Shalmanese

I have been drinking a lot of Riesling of late, particularly from 2005 Eden and to a lesser extent Clare valley. Looks like being a bumper vintage.

I love young Riesling and especially the 'battery-acid' dry styles. Perfect with spicy food particularly at the height of summer.

Bert Werden

WineStar Australia

Thanks Shalmanese

I have been drinking a lot of Riesling of late, particularly from 2005 Eden and to a lesser extent Clare valley. Looks like being a bumper vintage.

I love young Riesling and especially the 'battery-acid' dry styles. Perfect with spicy food particularly at the height of summer.

Riesling has always been my go-to cooking wine but I've been drinking a lot of it lately as well. I've been going through some Cookathama Riesling atm. Not fabulous but great for the price. It was really battery acid dry and I was really struggling to pair it with foods until I discovered that it works fabulously with spicy asian foods.

Apart from that, I'm having a mini-love affair with NZ Sav Blancs. They just seem to have a much crisper, more defined flavour that I love. I've been trying to track down a bottle of "Omaka Springs" (2004 Sav Blanc) in Australia but I've had no luck, you wouldn't be able to help me would you?

PS: I am a guy.

I've been trying to track down a bottle of "Omaka Springs" (2004 Sav Blanc) in Australia but I've had no luck, you wouldn't be able to help me would you?

Their distribution in Australia has suffered of late.

I would drop them a line wine@omaka.co.nz and ask for a retailer close to you.

Another worth hunting out is the 2005 Astrolabe which is also from Marlbourough NZ. This was the best Sauvignon Blanc but also best wine overall at the New Zealand Top 100 earlier this year, one of the major wine competitions over there.

You will find this at a few places around Sydney for around $20-25

Bert Werden

WineStar Australia