• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moonstruck

bunny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was there early last fall. The food, service and atmosphere are top notch. A bit priceey but you get what you pay for.

If the weather cooperates get an outside table overlooking the lake.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I went to the new Moonstruck last summer. I always loved the Ocean Grove place and we went there whenever our shore journeys took us nearby. The new place is lovely and we enjoyed our outdoor table overlooking the lake. I remember that the food was good, but it was a Saturday night and the place was jam packed so the service could have been better. Last year they didn't take reservations (don't know if this is still the same practice) and we waited over an hour for a table.

Had it been my first visit to Moonstruck I would have been more impressed. Unfortunately, I missed the charm of the little storefront place. I just love those small places where you get personal service and dynamite food! I also missed the BYO and this new place now has a bar.

Don't, however, be discouraged. You should have a very enjoyable meal at the new Moonstruck. It's just a different Moonstruck. Try it!

Janbee

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

• 5 months later...

My top 7 list for "NJ Restaurants I Want To Try This Year" in 2004:

Saddle River Inn

Moonstruck, Asbury Park (12/12/04)

Mignon, Rutherford (1/31/04)

Frankie and Johnnie's, Hoboken (2/20/04)

Kinchley's Tavern, Ramsey (1/11/04)

Whispers, Spring Lake

Rat's, Hamilton (3/27/04)

My fifth stop was Moonstruck in Asbury (it looks like Whispers and Saddle River Inn will wait for another year).

Anyway, my experience at Moonstruck was great! It was Sunday at 6:00 PM and the place was nearly full, however I was seated immediately. The cocktail lounge is at the lowermost level and has a piano. This level accommodates smokers and appears to be a relaxing place to enjoy a drink and sit with your friends. The remainder of the restaurant (middle and upper floor) is non-smoking.

Service was prompt and professional. We had mussels and lamb quesadillas for appetizers. The mussels were served in a white wine/garlic sauce, which had a hint of tomato. The mussels weren’t overly large and were beardless. They were very good.

The lamb quesadillas were unique. I’ve never had them before, nor have I ever seen them on a menu. It was served with a garlic yogurt sauce, which reminded me of my father’s Syrian leban Sauce. The sauce complimented the quesadillas great.

I ate the grilled lamb chops for dinner. They were cooked with rosemary garlic butter. It was a simple meal, however the chops were cooked perfectly and tasted very “lamby.” Great meal! My wife ordered a linguine seafood special which I didn’t taste.

Overall, the dining room was very relaxing and not too loud. The room was pretty and has lots of mirrors. I really like this restaurant. Moonstruck is a great place to impress a date. This restaurant will definitely become one of my favorite places. I cannot wait to go back.

PS: the place will even get better when my company designs the attractive streetscape on Lake Ave.

:D

:D