• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Irish & English distillers

mbrowley

Hey all ~

I'm looking for some help.

From the beginning of February 2006, I’m splitting nearly two weeks between Ireland and England. It’s a working holiday, of sorts, to celebrate the completion of a book (the writing thereof, not the reading) on the resurgence of artisan home distilling in the US.

I’ve spent the last two years canvassing the United States to research American moonshine and folk distilling traditions, interviewing clandestine distillers, alcohol tax enforcers and interested third parties. In a nutshell: there’s a moonshine renaissance informed by the same sensibilities that led Americans to rediscover artisan breads and cheeses, to turn to heirloom and organic produce, to resurrect obscure livestock breeds and, in particular, to cherish hand-crafted beers. Rotgut is out; artisanal is in. Well, mostly.

Given this unexpected opportunity, I’d like to get a taste of the current status of illicit distilling arts and crafts art in Ireland and the UK. I know it’s all very last minute, but I’m hoping to talk to local distillers in or around London, Dublin and Belfast (and respective environs) about their craft/hobby/small business/pastime/obsession.

In general, I’m interested in local illicit distilling traditions whether from the views of practitioners, law-enforcement officers or historians and enthusiasts. Pointers to historical collections, libraries, archives, photo collections, etc. are most welcome.

Obviously, Americans have no liquor law-enforcement jurisdiction in Europe, so don’t be shy; Even if I were police (I’m not), I couldn’t do anything about any illicit distilling discussed.

Oh, yes ~ casual drinkers feel compelled to tell me that moonshine has died out and that there are no distillers in [Manhattan, San Diego, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Kansas City, London, etc]. If you don’t know what to look and listen for, I’m sure that must seem the case. It’s there. And it’s probably a lot better than it used to be.

Matthew

Matthew B. Rowley

Rowley's Whiskey Forge, a blog of drinks, food, and the making thereof

Author of Moonshine! (ISBN: 1579906486)

It's not illicit but you should check out Temperley's apple cider brandy. Nice bottle, very posh and understated. It is an aquired taste, but you can get addicted. This is very popular for those-in-the-know and particularly with the upper classes(!), especially at christmas(goes very well with cheese obv). Try Partridge's in Sloane st Chelsea.

The guy who produces it is the father of the famous fashion designer Alice Temperley. He had a real battle with british customs excise to get permission to produce this apparently, so it has that almost illicit thing going.

I did'nt make all this up (honest). If you need any other suggestions let me know.

Edited by Bill Poster (log)

Bill ~

Thanks for the lead. Of course, it's not all poitin and moonshine for me and i'm inordinately fond of apple brandies (I've been enjoying a bottle of Laird's apple brandy lately - an aged 100% applejack from a New Jersey family, distinct from their more common apple/grain ETOH blend) and scare as hen's teeth.

I will look for Temperley's en route to Books for Cooks...

Matthew B. Rowley

Rowley's Whiskey Forge, a blog of drinks, food, and the making thereof

Author of Moonshine! (ISBN: 1579906486)