• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

蟹黄酱(xiè huáng jiàng) Crab Sauce

蟹黄 (xiè huáng) actually means the ovaries, roe and digestive tract of the crab, but a look at the ingredients list tells me this only contains the roe. These are bulked out by ‘minced fish’ i.e. surimi, unspecified spices, sugar, MSG, artificial yellow colouring and preservatives.

Despite this, I quite like it with noodles or even pasta, usually linguine or spaghetti as a sort of alternative to pesto pasta.

crabsauce2.thumb.jpg.39bcc1339ef1a199b76181b713d5c65c.jpg

crabroesauce.thumb.jpg.697a72ca7d1ee57b3e145b92f8d59aad.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

蟹黄 (xiè huáng) actually means the ovaries, roe and digestive tract of the crab, but a look at the ingredients list tells me this only contains the roe. These are bulked out by ‘minced fish’ i.e. surimi, unspecified spices, sugar, MSG, artificial yellow colouring and preservatives.

Despite this, I quite like it with noodles or even pasta, usually linguine or spaghetti as a sort of alternative to pesto pasta.

crabroesauce.thumb.jpg.697a72ca7d1ee57b3e145b92f8d59aad.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

I just bought this jar and it doesn't fit with my menu for today, so I'll post a picture of the contents later.