• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cobble Hill neighborhood in Brooklyn

VivreManger

I will be spending a long-weekend in Cobble Hill, not too far from Atlantic Ave. I know about the Yemeni places and the bakeries and other Middle Eastern food shops on Atlantic Avenue. I have also sampled the dubious products of Bagel World, the source of bagels so large that they should be sold as sandwich loaves. Are there any other worth-while establishments in this hood? Anything distinctly Brooklyn?

A little more distant is a visit to Junior's. How far is Di Faro's from this neighborhood? I will be staying around Warren & Clinton. I think that is called Cobble Hill.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

DiFara's is pretty far, but you can get excellent pizza at Grimaldi's down by the Brooklyn Bridge. Basically around the corner from Grimaldi's is the original Jacques Torres chocolate shop.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Even though you mention you are aware of the middle eastern establishments along Atlantic Ave., I can't pass up the opportunity to recommend Waterfalls Cafe for the best baba ganoush, just in case :biggrin:

Pacifico, betw. Smith and Boerum Pl. on Pacific St. mass produces huge quesadillas (aptly called the "killer quesadilla") and margaritas... used to be one of my regular hangouts until I found La Taqueria on 7th Ave. in Park Slope.

Skip pacifico. Horrible I was there over the summer to enjoy the outdoor section and it reminded me of a Senor Swankys in Cancun. The food was so greasy and they don't have any frozen margaritas?

My favorate places Hill Diner, Mezical (atlantic and Clinton), Lobo, Cafe Lulu (or lula), cafe on clinton.

My first place I would tell you is Saul.. saul It has been talked about a lot.. I think it got a star in the Michelin Guide.. Its a good little place..

Second place more casual.. Great little burgers.. Cheap beers.. Schnack

Third place for a good canolli, gelatto and ices.. I would tell you to go here.. Fratelli

Also a good butcher who also makes sandwiches..

Los Paisanos, located at 162 Smith St. at Bergen Street, is open 8 am to 7 pm, daily.(718) 855-2641.

Edited by Daniel (log)

I'm going to second all of Daniel's recs save for Fratelli - it's a Brooklyn chain, but the quality has slipped in the past few years. There are a couple of other Italian bakeries around that turn out very good cannoli.

Other's recommended:

Sample - Smith/Bergen - Spanish conserva-style place - meats, cheeses, wines, etc.

Chicory - Degraw/Clinton - takeaway with yummy sandwiches and heartier fare

Atlantic Chip Shop - Atlantic/Henry - best British restaurant in tow, FWIW

Frankie's 457 Spuntino - 457 Court - Italian - better for lunch - spacey service

Fernando's Focacceria - Union/Columbia - old school Sicilian - panelle sandwiches are great

Zaytoon's - Smith - never figured out what it is, but good middle eastern fare - great lahmajun

Bar Tabac - Smith/Dean - comfortable French bar food - live music (gypsy jazz, Dixie, etc.)

Oh, and yes, Saul has a Michelin star, and a $25 fixed price menu.

Edited by lambretta76 (log)

If you're thinking of Schnack, you might also consider Fernando's Foccaciaria, also on Union right over the BQE. It's a relic of the days when that neighborhood was sort of like Skull Island: a prehistoric enclave cut off from civilization (in this case, by the BQE in the fifties) and frozen in time. The neighborhood's not like that anymore. But Fernando's is.

Everything's good, but I have to give special shout-outs to the spleen sandwiches and the fried chick pea sandwiches. And the celestial caponata.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I had a really nice meal a few months ago at a cozy little French bistro called Bacchus (Atlantic Ave and Bond st). Nothing too inventive but the food is executed very well. Pate, steak frites, coq au vin and whatever else we had were very good. They also have a diverse and very reasonable (mostly French) wine list.

That wasn't chicken

I saw a recent episode of Cooking in Brooklyn.. Hosted by Alan Harding.. He was having a sandwich off between local places.. I must say Fernando's spleen sandwich does look excellent as did the chick pea.. That place is on my short list.. I am glad you guys recommend it..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Fernando's used to make a great pasta with sardines, and a nice stuffed squid. There's a good salumeria across the street that makes its own fresh mozz. Been a while since I was there.

The place is actually called Ferdinando's and not Fernando's. The panelle are simply the best. I love the panelle special sandwich with ricotta and cacciocavallo. The arrancine are also amongst the best in the city and a much better value than Del Posto. :wink:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Fernando's used to make a great pasta with sardines, and a nice stuffed squid.

Still does.

There's a good salumeria across the street that makes its own fresh mozz.

Not any more. It's now a gym for children or some similar type of yuppie place. (That's what I meant about that neighborhood's changing.) A tragic loss.

PS -- Sorry I got Ferdinando's name wrong.

Still does.

Not any more. It's now a gym for children or some similar type of yuppie place. (That's what I meant about that neighborhood's changing.) A tragic loss.

Excellent mozzarella can be had at Esposito's on Court Street. They also have the best Italian sausages and bracioles in the area and perhaps the City.

Twitter - @docsconz

Tried a few places in the greater Cobble Hill, Carol Gardens, Red Hook area.

Since Ferdinando's Focacceria Ristorante has gotten the most attention, I'll begin there.

Located on 151 Union St. 11231, 718-855-1545. just west of the BQE, most of the week they close at 6:00, on Friday and Saturday at 9, I believe. We had the melanzane alla griglia, broccoli rabe, arancina, and panelle. The arancina was the best, sort of like a lightly fried risotto. Panelle is a cross between samosa and felafel. The rabe was good, melanzane, a bit disappointing. Certainly worth a return visit. Incidentally the foccacia of the name are simply little sandwiches, not the pizza-like flat bread, now so common.

Two unmentioned spots are Mazzola Bakery, a block east of Ferdinando's, 192 Union St, 11231, 718-643-1719. The place was hoping around 9:30 Saturday morning. I tried a sausage bread -- aka lard bread -- and a cheese bread, both were delicious. Being an authentic Italian bakery, they also make rugelach.

First night we went to another old-fashioned Italian resto, Sam's, 238 Court Street, near Baltic. Not in the same league as Ferdinando's, but it is open later. The shrimp salad should be avoided at all costs. The best dish was the chicken bracciole, rolled chicken breast stuffed with provolone, mozzarela, and ham, covered with wine sauce and mushrooms. Chicken was tender, sauce was pleasant, and the cheese oozed agreeably.

We kept on missing the neighborhood juice bar, Nectar, 198 Court St., near Wyckoff St., 718-855-6166. Aside from stocking one of my favorite sorbets-gelati, Ciao Bella, their smoothie menu is more wide-ranging than most, but they don't post their hours on the window. And their phone has no taped information.

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

Still does.

At least the sign of the salumeria is still painted on the outer wall, facing the BQE and Columbia St.

• 3 weeks later...

Bacchus:

409 Atlantic Ave., at Bond St. 718-852-1572

Bar Tabac:

128 Smith St., At Dean St.; 718-923-0918

Quercy:

242 Court St., Between Kane and Baltic Sts.; 718-243-2151

Smith Street Kitchen: .

174 Smith St., Between Warren and Wyckoff Sts.; 718-858-5359

Meeting a friend tonight in Brooklyn.. I have a rez at Bacchus, just to have something. I just made it like 5 minutes ago and want to cancel immediately If I am not going to go..

Whats the best out of these 4. Cost and experience both weighted..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel, wish I saw your question earlier today.....

Bacchus is solid French bistro food, excellent value (meaning cheaper than you might expect rather than transcendently great food). I probably ate here six or eight times when I lived in Cobble Hill. The moules frites are good. The boudin noir is good with mash and apple sauce. The proprietors are cheerful and it has a pleasant vibe. Most entrees are in the teens.

Quercy is a more ambitious place, with prices to match. It's a lot more serious and restrained, and attracts an older crowd. It's often quieter than Bacchus. They do a great duck confit and cassoulet (about $23 if I remember rightly). I've liked their skate and dauphinois potatoes. They do a good prix fixe lunch of two courses for about $12. Better wines than Bacchus.

I'm not a fan of Tabac, though many seem to be. It's fun for a drink and the staff are great but I don't think the food quality is even close to the other two. At the risk of offending half the borough I'd classify it as 'good for Brooklyn'.

Also worth a look: Chestnut, a modern kind of spot with emphasis on seasonal ingredients. Up there with Quercy price-wise. Some find it a little stark. They serve good pickles with your bread!

As someone else posted, Taku is very good for intriguing (non-sushi) Japanese. Only went once as I've moved out of the neighborhood, but I'll be back.

Never been to Smith Street Kitchen.

Edited 'cos I can't string a sentence together sometimes.

Edited by FatTony (log)

Thanks Fat Tony.. I wish I had seen your suggestion before I went out.. Had an ok Italian Experience at Frankies 457. Got a few crostini,(ricotta,white bean,mushroom w/ truffle oil.. All a little steep at 2 bucks a piece) and an antipasta. With pickled green beans, mushrooms, and olives. Some proscuitto and cheese.. And a very off plate of gnocci with red sauce.. The gnocci was wet and didnt hold any of the bland sauce.. We also split a Pork Braciole.. This was very good.. The red sauce was really like a gravy.. The Braciole had been stewed for a long time and easily cut with a fork.. Lots of garlicky goodnesss.

Some places we passed that I might try next week when I visit.. South, Chestnut looked good, and I definately want to read more about Taku..

Edited by Daniel (log)