• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquor storage temperature

Kent Wang

I sometimes keep a 1.75L of whatever liquor I'm drinking at the moment -- Crown Royal right now -- in the trunk of my car for convenience. Lately, I've been thinking that might not be the ideal environment. Is liquor more hardier than wine in terms of temperature tolerance?

I think that americans drink thier whiskey too warm, like thier penchant for room temp. red wine. I like my whiskey down in the high sixties, it mellows some of the harshness, and getting a little water content by adding one dry, cold ice cube seems to be the best way to do it. If the trunk is undergoing extreme variation in temptures it can't be good for it. It's not alcohol abuse, but certainly alcohol neglect.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I would agree completely. IMO whiskey like red wine should be consumed at cellar temp or slightly higher.

Edit: Kent I do beleive spirits are a little hardier then wine but as Alc. says it can not be good for it. Unless your talking hard cider then try to park your car in a freezing cold area and pour off any non frozen liquid mmmmm......Applejack.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)