• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 a.m. party grub

chappie

My favorite latest creation came up while on a discussion of bagels. I was thinking bagels cream cheese.... then thought since I bake the meanest cheesecake around how about bagels and cheesecake, so there I am spreading strawberry green peppercorn cheesecake on a bagel, and then it came to me, add cold smoked salmon, damn it was dlish. Then i decided to do a sushi roll with the same ingredients. On my last camping/kayaking trip I made some vanilla bean cheesecake bagels, wow, I think I need to drink more often, one of my finest creations.

So, we got in the mood for Jamaican patties, but there were none in the house. This is after, er, a lot of Applejack (me), Sailor Jerry (him), and Jack Daniels (them). There were, however hamburger patties made in the freezer! So, hamburgers smeared thickly with the last of the jerk paste in the fridge, fried with onions, longhorn peppers, and the only cheese in the house was feta, so why not...on halves of salt and or cinnamon raisin bagels (we only had like 2 bagels laying around).

The construct was this: A burnt to shit jerk pasted burger, with a cascade of mostly raw onions and hot peppers, under a towering crumble of cold feta, on half of a cinnamon bagel. Of course, it was delicious, need you even ask? Also, yes, we ate it with our hands. You can see how that totally resembles a Jamaican patty, right? It seemed so logical at the time.

It nearly killed us. Try frying jerk paste at very high temperatures. Ever see those tear gas training videos, where they make future cops run through the little trailer of tear gas? Yeah, very much like that. We were all hacking and dying out on the porch, while my husband merrily flipped scorched jerkburgers, calling us all wusses. Then, to eat them...they were. so. friggin. spicy. No one cored the peppers, the jerk paste has about 7 scotch bonnets in it. It was like EATING tear gas.

I see a trend here. Stuff laying around, that under normal circumstances, we'd never think to combine. I understand it though. Desperation - inhabition + semi stocked kitchen = melted cheese on weird things. Or in my case, not melted...

Edited by Lilija (log)