• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 a.m. party grub

chappie

Takoyaki with okonomiyaki sauce, katsuo bushi and ao-nori, congee with 100 year old eggs, hash browns, and chocolate chips. Not neccessarily in the same dish. But maybe. After all, it's only 2:35...

Whoah. I wish you well this morning.

Happy to report that I woke up feeling great this morning. The mess in the kitchen, on the other hand, was not fun to wake up to  :blink:

TAG LINE!! TAG LINE!! Get a copyright.

And Daniel--how did you bite that tiny sandwich without having a Percy-yolk-shot? Looks like you slurped it out all in one inhale.

It's OK if you don't remember. :raz:

Happy to report that I woke up feeling great this morning. The mess in the kitchen, on the other hand, was not fun to wake up to  :blink:

TAG LINE!! TAG LINE!! Get a copyright.

And Daniel--how did you bite that tiny sandwich without having a Percy-yolk-shot? Looks like you slurped it out all in one inhale.

It's OK if you don't remember. :raz:

I am unable to discuss with certainty what became of the egg yolk.. However, it was not on my shirt or the floor in the morning. :raz:

A twist on the Elvis late night favorite: peanut butter and smoked oyster sandwiches. Or peanut butter and smoked oysters on a cracker, topped with tobasco. I've even served the latter to guests (that were still upright) and they were gone in a blink.

• 2 weeks later...
I've even served the latter to guests (that were still upright) and they were gone in a blink.

Verticality does not discernment make, nor even consciousness. Do not get your hopes up that they will ask for, or even remember, the pleasant little tidbits. :raz:

Tabasco, however, DOES cover a multitude of sins.

I just was reading through this old Bon Apetite Book that highlighted appetizers.. They suggested stuffing pickled jalapenos with peanut butter. Something tells me that might make a late night snack one of these days. Beanut Putter and smoked oysters.. I dont know how I feel about that sober.. :biggrin:

No pics, because this was years ago when I was young, carefree and living off my parents at a major midwestern unversity that I somehow got kicked out of soon after....

After it's been determined that no pizza places are still open and delivering,

brown 1 package of ground chuck (at least cook most of it through...). Sprinkle on it, say...a cup of flour. Wonder if you should have drained off all that grease. Stir the flour into the grease. Sprinkle on some ground black pepper and garlic salt. Add whatever's left in the milk carton (wonder if you should have smelled it, first). If it's too thick, thin it down with some beer. Serve over toasted leftover hotdog buns.

Surprisingly, there were no leftovers, and no one got sick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

A friend of mine once made a late-night dish whose presentation/consumption style has come to be known as "a la O'Neill":

1) Take one pork chop with red-eye gravy from the Majestic Diner in Atlanta.

2) Accidentally fling the chop onto the floor while cutting it.

3) Look around.

4) Pick it up off the floor with your fork.

5) Look around guiltily.

6) Shrug and resume eating.

If this is too insouciant a preparation for you (you might have to have seen the floor of the Majestic to really understand), my wife makes a PMS Sandwich that also doubles as 3am food:

1 onion

1/2 lemon

1 tbsp butter

1 good poppyseed kaiser roll

1-2 slices Emmenthaler, Gruyere, or Gouda

2 tbsp mayonnaise

freshly ground pepper

Slice onion, melt butter, saute onion briefly (typically as long as it takes you to forget you're in the middle of cooking something...1-2 minutes. Or a couple hours, depending, but it's really a different sandwich by then), squeeze the half lemon into the pan, arrange onions into something that might fit on the bottom half of a Kaiser roll, place the cheese on top of that pile until it melts. Put the mayo on the top half of the roll, put the onion-cheese pile on the bottom half, grind pepper, close, eat, sleep, regret. I also like this sandwich with raw Vidalia and/or prosciutto.

I myself have become an 3am okonomiyaki devotee, Osaka-style plus young Gouda...but this requires some commitment, cooking time being in the 15-20 minute range.

the more desperate 3am me will always turn to the trusty quesadilla first when I need quick melty goodness: either young Gouda or this great thinly sliced hard goat cheese plus Herdez ranchero sauce (sent by my mom, shhh) gives us the capsaicin/dopamine reaction necessary to soldier forward...or downward...somewhere.

mark

Edited by markemorse (log)

This thread amazes me,all that cooking some of these 'snacks' look like dinner to me!

for me, it's just crackers with lots of slices of cheese , smothered in ketchup (or sriracha, since I discovered that) and mayo.

and a couple of spoonfuls nutella/ peanutbutter, straight from the jars, for dessert.

my wife makes a PMS Sandwich

she can post it in the PMS thread!! :laugh:

Edited by Chufi (log)

A twist on the Elvis late night favorite: peanut butter and smoked oyster sandwiches. Or peanut butter and smoked oysters on a cracker, topped with tobasco. I've even served the latter to guests (that were still upright) and they were gone in a blink.

Of course the guests were gone in a blink. you served them penut butter and oyster sandwiches :huh:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I recently bred two items late one night that have birthed a flavor combination I haven't been able to stop eating since.

Take a jar of Trader Joe's Corn & Chile Tomatoless Salsa (it would be more apt to call it a relish, because it's sweet), slather some on bread, then spread peanut butter on the other slice and smack'em together. Best PB sammich I've ever eaten, and I enjoy it with pepper jellies, shit, even bacon and red onion.

To add some flourish I included roasted carrots yesterday. I simply cannot eat enough of this.

Chappie,

Do you know what you are saying.. You have crossed over.. You are like a day walker, eating 3 am food at will.. :biggrin: Peanut butter and salsa is a very bold combination with the sun shining..

Had a picnic tonight.. I made this with some of the leftovers.. Artichoke hearts in olive oil, with spicy capicola, mozzarella, parm, and a cracked egg.. Made it into a little frittata.

Toasted this little sourdough roll I bought at Zabars.

A shot of Crystal to boot.

gallery_15057_2971_42822.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Tonight I found myself with an intense craving for a peanut butter and bacon sandwich. Of course, I wasn't going to stop there - I had to figure out how I could possibly improve on perfection. Looked in the cupboard and found not only peanut butter, but also cashew butter. I'm already a step up. Then I remember Daniel's toffee covered bacon and the rest is history... For extra ridiculousness, I mixed in the fat from the bacon with the toffee. There's no flavor better than sweet bacon grease.

gallery_33373_2451_707094.jpg

gallery_33373_2451_913276.jpg

There's no flavor better than sweet bacon grease.

gallery_33373_2451_913276.jpg

You can "toffee" the bacon, already on the sandwich---cook bacon, sprinkle on brown sugar, brulee with torch.

On the other hand, perhaps that much open fire should be reserved for a better hour. Or more sober moment. :raz:

• 5 weeks later...

I love pasta (if you can deal with the cooking time...depends on how many Maker's Marks on ice I've downed)...and pasta (Barelli Speghetti Rigati has those awesome nooks that hold the sauce nicely) while steaming hot with hoisin sauce, soy sauce and siracha.

Yummmmmmmmmm

...Sadly, my farts the next morning just kill and the pasta only adds to the robust nature of it however.

Sometimes a cold can of Ravioli with tabasco is nice too.

We went to a fashion launch recently. There was a lot of standing round drinking champagne, then some sitting watching the parade (those models may be very slim but they still have cellulite - and no tone!) then more champagne and more champagne. Unfortunately the waiters with the grub were either avoiding us or trying to make 200 canapes last four hours. We asked our cab driver to swing past our local restaurant on the way home but they were shutting up shop so we went home hungry.

I valiantly offered to attempt an omelet. Even managed to handle the knife without drama. As we were both desperate for food, I dispensed with the niceties of individual omelets and made just one biggie with mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese - thank goodness for ready-grated. I would have taken a photo of it but even with my glasses on it would have been a challenge.

And I reckon there will be more than a few of us who have reached a state of terminal confusion during a dinner party and found elements of the dessert on the bench the next day that never did make it onto the plates!

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

You can't go wrong with eggs...unless you are using human ones, which can be disgusting.

In anycase, breakfast foods are pretty suitable when you are tanked. But damn, once you get the "hungries" sometimes a good box of triscuits and anything "dippable" is pretty good. Like ketchup, cream cheese and tabasco.

ahhhhhhhhh yeah!