• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 a.m. party grub

chappie

There was a time - and I'm sure some remember - when we called this phenomenon "the screaming munchies".  True, didn't follow alcohol consumption but indulgence in another substance and at that time best options were peanut butter and bacon sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, peanut and sardine sandwiches, peanut butter straight from the jar, and of course an outrageous number of chocolate sundaes with hot fudge, whipped cream and all of the gooey stuff that went with such treats. 

Oyez, oyez.....there truly were "good old days".  And not a hangover to follow the overindulgence!

Daniel: I can see the sundaes, but the peanut butter?! Doesn't the dry mouth preclude anything involving peanut butter? I am picturing spending 15 minutes (or 60 perceived minutes) trying to gum through a sandwich before giving up in frustration.

PS - PB and sardines, that's just not right no matter what your state of mind.

My most memorable was not a creation but was uhhhh... a food editing process.

<snip>

I awoke with a most seriosu hangover at noon the next day and spent a few minutes assessing the dark shriveled up bits of something that were stuck to my kitchen walls (these little critters were everywhere!).

Ahhhh...  anchovies!  An item I love on salads and detest on pizza. It appears that I unceremoniously removed every single anchovy as I ate the pie and hurled them in random directions to discard. Food editing indeed.

Gotta love those next morning / what the F happened?!? moments, it's like a personal episode of CSI. Imagine what they would have been like coated with peanut butter!

There was a time - and I'm sure some remember - when we called this phenomenon "the screaming munchies".  True, didn't follow alcohol consumption but indulgence in another substance and at that time best options were peanut butter and bacon sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, peanut and sardine sandwiches, peanut butter straight from the jar, and of course an outrageous number of chocolate sundaes with hot fudge, whipped cream and all of the gooey stuff that went with such treats. 

Oyez, oyez.....there truly were "good old days".  And not a hangover to follow the overindulgence!

I will never forget the bacon, peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches we made the weekend we graduated from prep school - inspired by, of all people, my grandfather, who went to the same school. At my graduation dinner, he told my friends that he and his friends used to eat peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches, as they were the only edible things in the dining halls at the time. On Sundays, they got bacon, so they added strips of it to their favorite treat.

A bunch of us went to stay at a friend's parents' lake house for the next few days. After indulging in...various substances, a few of us decided it would be a GREAT idea to make these. And it was. Except we only had four or five sandwiches, and there were ten people. Our solution? The three cooks ran into the woods, hid, and ate the sandwiches. Guiltily, of course.

They were delicious, all the more so for the "danger."

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)
  • Like 1

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Except we only had four or five sandwiches, and there were ten people.  Our solution?  The three cooks ran into the woods, hid, and ate the sandwiches.  Guiltily, of course.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh, ye of the checkered past!!! I love your posts, and this is the funniest thing I've read today. I DO hope you took a beverage (images of you hiding in the bushes, peeking through the shrubbery for hungry intruders, whilst you're all choking down those furtive sandwiches, dance in my head). And how did you divide the odd two?

Oh this was not long enough ago, and I only remember completely it after reading this thread.

Fried bacon strips in pan, meanwhile, breading Andoullie Sausage in panko.

Added breaded sausage to bacon fat and joined with it three over-easy eggys. Found freezerburnt hamburger bun and topped with 1/2 inch slices of cheddar and dous of habenero sauce. Broiled.

Assembled all ingredients, ate, accompanied by one entire bag of yogurt and green onion kettle chips.

Woke up smelling of pork and unsure why.

Drink maker, heart taker!

Now, wait. I admit it, I'm a little off kilter, but, are you telling me that one needs to be UTI to make a weird snack? I'm in TROUBLE. I just sliced tiny bits off a beef roast I've been marinating, speared 'em with a fork and grilled them on the gas range, right in the flames. Nibble, stab, grill, nibble, stab, grill. Kiddle has just discovered me, the artichokes are forgotten, she's taking her turn right now. Nibble, stab, grill, nibble, stab, grill. I've got a new favorite snack. Oh, it isn't 3 A.M. yet. Never mind.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Except we only had four or five sandwiches, and there were ten people.  Our solution?  The three cooks ran into the woods, hid, and ate the sandwiches.  Guiltily, of course.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh, ye of the checkered past!!! I love your posts, and this is the funniest thing I've read today. I DO hope you took a beverage (images of you hiding in the bushes, peeking through the shrubbery for hungry intruders, whilst you're all choking down those furtive sandwiches, dance in my head). And how did you divide the odd two?

That's me, the "reformed" criminal! :laugh:

We did manage to snag some Cokes - we had stashed them in the lake, of all places, to get them cold quick (New Hampshire lakes being quite frigid, even in June). And they were the most delicious Cokes I'd ever tasted.

I think we ended up passing the last two sandwiches around the circle...something we were pretty good at by then! :laugh::laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

• 4 weeks later...

Ok.. This was late night after a couple of Ouzos..I baked a hot dog with Pillsbury Biscuits..In one I put Jarlsberg and Cheddar with mustard and onions.. Grilled the dog.. Rolled in dough and baked... In the other I put feta,onions,mustard..It was really good at the time.. And continued to be good until a little before the time I woke up this morning :wacko:

gallery_15057_2395_86800.jpg

gallery_15057_2395_927371.jpg

gallery_15057_2395_13989.jpg

• 4 months later...

This beauty was actually not the dream I thought it was.. The tale tell says were very apparent.. A fried egg left in the pan, an opened jar of mayo sitting out on the counter,beer bottles and an empty jar that was once filled with tequila and pineapples, various kitchen implements covered in grease and cheese scattered about.. WW English Muffin..Wow my head hurts...

I think this was fried eggs with bacon, smoked gouda, fried watercress,tomato,avacado,and good old mayo..

Time eaten was after 2 before 6..

gallery_15057_2971_41492.jpg

I know at one point I also maked a smoked eel,egg,tomato,bacon and lettuce sandwich.. But no good pictures..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Just got comfirmation from the boys at the lab.. This is my smoked eel,tomato,mayo, bacon, egg, and fried lettuce sandwich.. I dont know if this combo will ever be repeated.. All I know is the whole thing was eaten.. :biggrin:

gallery_15057_2971_113770.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Haha.. Thanks Bryan.. Yeh, it was a tough morning.. Then I went to bed.. I would like to retry the eel thing sober... It might just be a good combo..Poached egg, grilled scallions, smoked eel, and something else.. Or maybe like a smoked eel mashed potato sandwich or something": Or smoked eel potato skins..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel, if you like smoked eel, you should try these:

gallery_21505_1968_51231.jpg

they're like a smoked eel hotdog.. fatty, smoky, in yeasty bread, perfect for late night snacking.. recipe here

Edited by Chufi (log)

:biggrin:

Ahh, memories: 2:30 a.m. quesadillas...corn tortillas in a Pyrex baking dish (ease of cleaning; also works on baking parchment on a cookie sheet), under layers of semihot salsa, any two or three cut-up vegetables in the 'fridge that don't actively try to get away, and finally a blanket of shredded pepper jack cheese, tossed with finely chopped parsley, all to be baked about twenty minutes at 375 degrees F.

Goes down superbly with cheap prosecco.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

• 2 weeks later...
:biggrin:  A trip to Burger King followed by a crying jag. :laugh:

Oh, Sweetpea!!! Sit down. Nothing at Burger King is THAT bad. (Unless that creepy King person was on display).

Oh, My. I hope you're all better, and that it was a one-time thing, all in the past.

And like I said: Breakfast.