• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYOB Around Montgomeryville?

Mano

Can anyone recommend a good BYOB in the Montogomeryville area for next Friday? My friends are passionate food and wine people who live in Macungie. Looking for something half-way between there and the Holland/Richboro area.

Thanks in advance for you help.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

I live in Lansdale and have eaten at mostly all of the BYOB's in the Montgomeryville area. I would recommend the following: Ristorante Castello, a new Italian place in the Montgomery Common shopping center off of Rte. 63 serving very good food in an upscale setting. Right next door is Sultan, a causual Indian place serving very good food. Ravenna on Rte. 73 near Skippack, serving very good Northern Italian food in a nice atmosphere. Nearly next door to that is Fuzion, serving very good Asian fusion food in a nice setting. In Amber is Traxx Cafe, located in the old train station, quaint and cozy along with good food. Alison's at Blue Bell, very good seafood and other fare in an upscale setting. You'll probably get more suggestions that I'm not thinking of but I hope these help.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Thanks for your replies. I left a message for reservations at Castello. We've been wanting to go to Alison at Bluebell, but because it looks like the kids will be joining us, that will have to wait.

I'll let you know how it was.

Thanks for your replies.  I left a message for reservations at Castello.  We've been wanting to go to Alison at Bluebell, but because it looks like the kids will be joining us, that will have to wait.

I'll let you know how it was.

Yes I would also second the recommendation for Alison's around the area.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not posting prompt feedback about Ristorante Castello, but I'd like to thank davidbdesilva for his recommendation. Compared to most BYOBs, the atmosphere is quite pleasant and quiet, with tables set far enough apart that you don't overhear other's conversations. The front end is staffed by the Italian contingient, reminding me of some SouthPhilly and Chambersburg restaurants I've enjoyed. The kitchen, however, is run by a Vietnamese fellow, (Paul, I believe) who chatted with our table for some time. He has excellent credentials, having cooked at some noteable restaurants in NYC and Philadelphia.

The food was uniformly very good to excellent. While I cannot recall all specifics, I do remember the osso buco, the fish and a chicken dish as standouts. Castello is on par with JustEat by BrownGold in Buckingham, which, in my experience, is a consistently excellent BYOB. Castello is more upscale and JE is not Italian themed, but they're both great finds in the 'burbs.

Thanks again!

Glad you enjoyed Castello's Mano and found the food to be as good as we found it. Castello's is a great additon to the area and we will be eating there as often as possible. One major drawback so far though, is that they need to hire more help and the owner (Habib) knows this. Our last visit on a Saturday night was horrible. We waited 20 minutes till the waiter acknowledged us and 40 minutes till we got bread. I just recommended Castello's to a work colleague who said that the food was excellent but that their party of 5 had to wait an hour till they saw their waiter!!! After asking the waiter to comp. them something, he asked the owner and he refused! This is truly a shame because it's a great restaurant but they are going to start losing business if they don't remedy the situation and quick. So, go here but not on a Saturday night!

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."