• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Whisky

alamut

When I was back home in Louisville over Thanksgiving my father showed me a whisky new to scene (and in Kentucky its quite a whisky scene) that a friend of my parents had brought over for a dinner party (to hell with the wine bottle, eh?) Anyhow, its called Bernheim Whiskey, named I believe for a local forest where we used to go for family picnics. Unlike the local bourbons, Bernheim is a 100% wheat whisky, made in a Bourbon style by the good people over at the Heaven Hill distillery (still family owned whisky making by the way).

By Bourbon style, I mean it is aged in chard new oak barrels and warehoused in a similar manner. Weighing it at a respectable 90 proof, it has a appearance and nose similar to a light bodied bourbon (think Sam Houston). In bourbons corn adds significant sweetness and rye pepper. But because it has no rye or corn in the mix the taste is very easy drinking. This could be the California Merlot of Kentucky Whisky. I don't know if that is something we need, but as King Lear says "reason not the need."

It got 83 points in the Malt Advocate but their reviews are not always my speed. I would love to hear from anyone who has tasted it, or anybody else who has tried a new Kentucky whisky.

Alamut was the mountain fortress of Hassan i Sabbah and the later heads of the Assassins. Alamut represents more than just a physical place, more even than a symbolic home of the movement. Alamut was with you in what you did; Alamut was in your heart from the moment of your arrival and introduction to "Heaven" until the moment you died.

alamut,

Not sure if you've visited the boards over at SB yet -- lots of good information on the genesis of Bernheim Wheat, insider pics, discussion of mashbill, etc. FYI, from what I've read, Bernheim was named not so much for the forest, but for the Heaven Hill Bernheim Distillery in Louisville.

And in case anyone here is wondering, I'm in no way affiliated with StraightBourbon.com. I'm just a happy :smile: member wanting others to get sucked into my little world of bourbon appreciation :blink:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Wow. This sounds interesting. A non-corn and rye bourbon for all intents and purposes. Because it's really the charred white oak barrels that give the spirit it's color, flavor and character, moreso than the mash, I'd expect this product to be quite "bourbon-like" in the end. Maker's Mark is probably the best known wheated Bourbon whiskey, so I'd be curious to do a side-by-side taste test between those two.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Wow.  This sounds interesting.  A non-corn and rye bourbon for all intents and purposes.  Because it's really the charred white oak barrels that give the spirit it's color, flavor and character, moreso than the mash, I'd expect this product to be quite "bourbon-like" in the end.  Maker's Mark is probably the best known wheated Bourbon whiskey, so I'd be curious to do a side-by-side taste test between those two.

VanWinkle bourbons are also wheated.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Wow.  This sounds interesting.  A non-corn and rye bourbon for all intents and purposes.  Because it's really the charred white oak barrels that give the spirit it's color, flavor and character, moreso than the mash, I'd expect this product to be quite "bourbon-like" in the end.   Maker's Mark is probably the best known wheated Bourbon whiskey, so I'd be curious to do a side-by-side taste test between those two.

VanWinkle bourbons are also wheated.

So's the William LaRue Weller. Just bottled in October at Buffalo Trace and is unfiltered barrel proof.

Got a bottle today out of State Line Liq, in Elkton MD.

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

A friend of mine, who is a serious bourbon fancier and collector, is quite excited about the Bernheim. I've tried it a couple times now, and have to say that, personally, for sipping, I prefer the "wheated" but not 100% wheat bourbons of Van Winkle and W.L. Weller. The Bernheim is an interesting, very good, and unique whiskey. It just seems like there is some complexity missing in its flavor. Maybe, it's just that without the corn, the whiskey is drier or less sweet? Maybe more comparable to a scotch or rye than a bourbon? Damn, now I'll have to sample it again!

In any case, the unique nature of the product certainly makes it worth trying. It's also a very attractive bottle, if you have any whiskey fanciers on your gift list.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA