• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Regional Italian cuisines

As a brief tangent to the "Foods you would like to see Americans eat/be exposed to", of the other regional cuisines in Italy, which ones do you think are more accessible to the typical American (by "typical", I mean someone who has already been exposed to authentic Italian techniques or at least foods common to Tuscany -- parmagianno reggiano and prosciutto di Parma to name two). Is there some sort of phenomenon, do you think, that's partially or wholly responsible for the (over)emphasis on Tuscan regional cuisine in the United States over the past decade? I would like to see more exploration into other regional cuisines, such as Apulian, Venetian and Sicilian.

Thank you for your time.

Tuscany has been a region enjoyed by the Brits since the 1800s and somewhat before. Therefore, Tuscany had a head start.

But, there's another 19 regions of Italy that are all different, unique and wonderful that are all surfacing slowly. Sicily is a perfect example with its wonderful Byzantine art and architecuture and wonderful wines and Marsalas and the intense foods like bottarga and capers in addition to their oils.

Friuli Venezia Giulia, the region that I come from, is surfacing through its whites, cheeses, grappas and its very unique herbal cuisine in the spring.

Piedmont of course, with its powerhouse of red Nebbiolos and Barolos and with its white truffles is an experience which is optimal in the fall and brings many travelers to the area.

So the regions of Italy are being discovered, although there is still much more to be discovered!