• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matthew Evans lists his 20 best restaurants

This is taken from Sunday Life, the Age supplement, November 20, 2005.

Matthew Evans is the chief food critic for the Sydney Morning Herald.

He made a few points - Sydney does top end dining better saying that if you can charge more you can get better ingredients, Melbourne service is better, Sydney dominates the top 20 but if he went to a top 50 or 100, Melbourne would dominate, and Melbourne is more affordable.

He did his list alphabetically as he didn't want to rank them.

My main gripe - the Australian food world does not begin and end with Melbourne and Sydney.

Here's the list:

Becasse (Sydney)

Bilson's (Sydney)

Buon Ricordo (Sydney)

Cafe di Stasio (Melbourne)

Circa, The Prince (Melbourne)

Claude's (Sydney)

Est (Sydney)

Ezards (Melbourne)

Guillaume at Bennelong (Sydney)

Icebergs (Sydney)

Jacques Reymond (Melbourne)

Marque (Sydney)

Omega (Sydney)

Pier (Sydney)

Quay (Sydney)

Rockpool (Sydney)

Silks (Sydney)

Tetsuya's (Sydney)

Vue de Monde (Melbourne)

Yoshii (Sydney)

Edited by Shinboners (log)
Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Would be good to see the red guide here in Australia some day.

Red guide = Michelin?

Speaking of Michelin, every year or so, I get a call from someone saying that he represents Michelin Australia and that they're looking for restaurant reviewers for their Australian guide. They always say, "You've heard of the Michelin Guides for Europe? We do it for Australia". Naturally, there's always some hook - you have to pay money to take part in the reviews.

I'll look forward to their call next year, and I'll grill them a bit more about it.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Would be good to see the red guide here in Australia some day.

Red guide = Michelin?

Speaking of Michelin, every year or so, I get a call from someone saying that he represents Michelin Australia and that they're looking for restaurant reviewers for their Australian guide. They always say, "You've heard of the Michelin Guides for Europe? We do it for Australia". Naturally, there's always some hook - you have to pay money to take part in the reviews.

I'll look forward to their call next year, and I'll grill them a bit more about it.

You might get the real deal call next year, or so rumor has it.

I hear they are looking at launching in Asia, then Australia.

CHEF JOBS UPDATE - September 07 !!

Latest global Chef jobs listing and news now available!

Take a look online here:

http://www.hostec.com.au/newsletters/chef/sep07/