• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jones Sodas

yellow truffle

Wow. Holiday Spice Pepsi sounds downright normal by comparison. Although the Cranberry sounds good.

I was about to pick up a bottle of Holiday Spice Pepsi last night when I was warned off. Apparently it's pretty nasty tasting.

No, the Holiday Spice Pepsi actually is good. However, I just looked at my 2 Liter bottle and I didnt see a Hechsher of any kind, so at least as far as you are concerned, the point is moot.

The hechshers are normally found on the caps.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I just looked again, I didn't see one. I guess they figure Jews aren't interested in drinking Gentile-flavored soda?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

update on these sodas from Jones :wink:
The response to the Turkey & Gravy Jones Soda has been incredible. Thank you for your interest and patience in regards to this soda. We apologize if you were not able to get your hands on the Turkey & Gravy Jones Soda.

The update you referenced is dated December 2003. According to Jones web site, you can order online starting Thursday of this week.

Jason, what do gentiles taste like? :biggrin:

Jason, what do gentiles taste like?  :biggrin:

I'm not sure. During the holidays, you can't taste them through all the alcohol.

Sorry. :laugh:

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Ah, thanks for the heads up on orders starting on thursday.

Man, I am going to be first in line for these when that online queue starts up. My mouth is watering at the thought of sugar-free fruitcake soda already...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Ah, thanks for the heads up on orders starting on thursday. 

Man, I am going to be first in line for these when that online queue starts up.  My mouth is watering at the thought of sugar-free fruitcake soda already...

Regis and Kelly tasted them on air yesterday. Regis claimed to love them, and said that they truly did taste like the dishes they emulate. Kelly almost barfed after sipping the mashed potato one and refused to try the green bean casserole drink. I don't know that I could try one of the savory ones. Cranberry, for sure, but green bean casserole in a bottle? ewwww

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Fark. The Jones site appeared to be down all morning, and when I was finally able to log on, the holiday pack was already sold out. Double fark. Now I need to find some other way to procur a pack.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Fark.  The Jones site appeared to be down all morning, and when I was finally able to log on, the holiday pack was already sold out.  Double fark.  Now I need to find some other way to procur a pack.

Check a Target store.

They also have a waitlist.

If you find any near you grab a few, the prices just quadrupled on eBay:

click here for Jones Soda Holiday Packs on eBay

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Agh, I hit up two targets on my way to Trader Joes tonight, both had none :(.

The only one I really, _really_ want, is the fruitcake soda. If anyone has a bottle they would be willing to part with I will paypal $10 for it ;).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

So, while browsing the shelves of Target yesterday, I came across a five-pack of interesting sodas from the Jones Soda company. I would have purchased them to report on but I wasn't willing to shell out the $15.95 for five bottles of soda... (I believe some of the proceeds go to charity.)

The five flavors are:

Turkey & Gravy Soda

Cranberry Soda

Mashed Potato & Butter Soda

Green Bean Casserole Soda

Fruitcake Soda

You can see this over at Jones' site:

Jones Soda

I would have purchased them to report on but I wasn't willing to shell out the $15.95 for five bottles of soda... (I believe some of the proceeds go to charity.)

They're being positioned as Limited Edition flavors and/or Collectibles (issued with a sequential number). Though I question whether that's really a good justification for the high price, I would hazard a guess there are some future eBay sellers who are buying them for that very reason.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 months later...

I've kept a can of Whoopass in my desk at work for ages, but strictly because I find it funny to have a can of Whoopass handy in case I need to, you know, open one.

Yes, I too am a 12-year-old.

No way will you ever get me to drink that stuff, but if your curiosity is getting the better of you, I got my supply as part of a caffeine drinks package that was sold at the thinkgeek.com site.

Just checked--sorry, Whoopass is not included in the current Thinkgeek 'Best of' Caffeine Sampler. Maybe it will return at some point...

Back when I worked for Microsoft (the years just before I moved down to San Diego), the Jones soda folks showed up on campus to do some kind of marketing event for the Whoop Ass product. Those little cans were floating around various people's offices for weeks afterward. A few of us drank the stuff, and discovered that the contents were in fact a lot less pleasing than the packaging. But the cans did make entertaining computer-geek office decor.

Speaking of Jones, Target now sells CANS of Jones in 12 packs. They've got the 4-packs of bottles too, but the price point seems much better on the cans (it was $3.99 for the 12 pack at my local Target).

All I saw was Cream Soda and Root Beer though, at least for the cans.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Back when I was a beer drinker I always preferred beer from bottles rather than cans. I was convinced that I could taste a difference. Chances are that only a blind A/B test could convince me otherwise but having subsequently tried Snapple in cans and finding it less enjoyable than Snapple in bottles I've begun to wonder.

Does it really make a difference in some subtle way or is it just a perception issue?

Jon - have you tried the Jones soda in cans and does it seem the same to you as it does in bottles?

• 5 months later...

We nabbed two 4-packs of 8 oz. cans of the new Halloween Jones Soda flavors, Caramel Apple and Strawberry S'lime. Both were pretty good. The caramel apple tasted sweet and appley, followed by caramely aftertaste. Surprisingly good, sweet, but not tooo sweet. A small can is just about all I could drink. The strawberry was also very good. The "lime" part of the S'lime cut any sweetness of the strawberry.

The other flavors are Scary Berry Lemonade and Candy Corn.

Anybody else try them yet?

Actually I am looking forward to trying the strawberry one, there aren't that many decent strawberry sodas on the market.

I love the Jones guys. I met a bunch of them at the Fancy Food last year. They talked me into trying their new energy drink which I swear was called "whoopass". Husband thinks I'm remembering incorrectly, could be. Anyway, they are silly and sassy and really enjoy their work. I already enjoyed their sodas and after meeting them I enjoy them even more. I think Strawberry lime is one of their regular flavors isn't it?

I love the Jones guys.  I met a bunch of them at the Fancy Food last year.  They talked me into trying their new energy drink which I swear was called "whoopass".  Husband thinks I'm remembering incorrectly, could be.  Anyway, they are silly and sassy and really enjoy their work.  I already enjoyed their sodas and after meeting them I enjoy them even more. I think Strawberry lime is one of their regular flavors isn't it?

There is indeed a Jones drink called "whoopass," it kept my awake on a 12 hour car trip this summer :biggrin:

I tried the caramel apple and candy corn flavors. The caramel apple reminds me of apple cider but with a subtle caramel aftertaste. The apple flavor is good though, it's not the usual overly tart sour apple flavor you get in apple flavored stuff. The candy corn sort of tastes like plain corn syrup - although I guess that's basically what candy corn is. It's good though, and bright yellow so it turns your whole mouth yellow. It actually freaked me out for a minute when I looked at my teeth in the mirror :blink:

On the desk, next to me and opened, is a can of Jones Strawberry Lime Soda. This is not a halloween product (so it's just strawberry lime and not strawberry s'lime). I will agree it is very good as a strawberry soda -- much better than others I've had. I get hit with lime more at the beginning, and the soda finishes with something close enough to pure strawberry flavor.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero