• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Platter decorations for the holidays ...

You know those seasonally appropriate items that appear almost magically in our grocery stores each and every year? :rolleyes:

I refer to pickled peaches and those jars of red spiced crab apples ... does anyone ever bother to buy them (here on eG)?

They sure look pretty but how is the flavor? Are they merely decorative?

Like some long ago dellarobbia wreath so colorful and inviting ...sure everyone has seen these festive displays

How do you decorate your main course platter?

Special tray you always enjoy using and showing off?

Why is it that so many of us emulate the bountiful old English style no matter where we live?

Do you use these types of things: timetables for preparing the holiday celebration?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

One year I made tiny marzipan pumpkins to decorate the pumpkin pie. They turned out very well and were far easier tham I imagined they would be. I may do that again.

I don't decorate the turkey platter because there will be too many of us to do anything but a buffet. There just isn't room to set 1 table for 20 people so the turkey is carved in the kitchen.

As for the jars of spiced crab apples, I grew up with my grandmother's that were absolutely delicious. The ones from the store are insipid and mushy tasting to me.

As for lists I do mine in a notebook and will make my timetable this weekend. The guests have already confirmed and the menu is set. Almost everyone brings something and I made suggestions as to what they make well so there won't be any surprises. i.e. Green Bean Casserole, green Jell-o salad, etc.

Edited by BarbaraY (log)

I haven't even a clue about my own decorations yet, but I work part time at a florist and we just got the most exciting order. The woman who won the blue ribbon for jellies and preserves at the state fair is having us match small low clusters of flowers to the colors of her jellies (I think onion marmelade, pepper port jelly, pumpkin rind preserves, and something involving cranberries and sage are included). Lots of burgundies, bronzes, and golds. She's putting the jellies, flowers, and floating candles in crystal candy dishes that she collects. It should be awesome and I hope she brings in the pictures that she promised.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

You know those seasonally appropriate items that appear almost magically in our grocery stores each and every year?  :rolleyes:

I refer to pickled peaches and those jars of red spiced crab apples ... does anyone ever bother to buy them (here on eG)?

They sure look pretty but how is the flavor? Are they merely decorative?

?

Melissa, it must be a regional thing, and I'm jealous of you Southerners. Pickled peaches and red spiced crab-apples? There's no display at my midwestern grocery stores, and I wish there were.

The Olde English Bountiful Style is my style because my grandparents on my mother's side were English immigrants. Here in Chicagoland, unlike the genteel southeast, I'm not sure it's the traditional style at all -- in fact I'm sure of it. It's more likely to be Central European , Italian or Hispanic. Or plain boring white-bread American Everyman.

Blush. My Thanksgiving decorations? Seriously thinking about running out to Joannes's for the supplies to make the pompom, felt and pipecleaner turkies that Martha features in the November "Living."

(I am also a big Della Robbia fan -- but pale blue and white food is a bad color combo!)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

My strategy is to place extra herbs (esp. rosemary sprigs) on the platters and let the food shine! The other day I saw a particularly appealing photo of a turkey platter garnished with whole baby carrots ("real" baby carrots with their tops -- not cut carrots) and whole sage leaves. The baby carrots are rarely available here, but I'll strive for this.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Blush. My Thanksgiving decorations? Seriously thinking about running out to Joannes's for the supplies to make the pompom, felt and pipecleaner turkies that Martha features in the November "Living."

Okay, forget Martha Stewart and her infernal pipe cleaner turkeys, the pickled peaches, and too-too red crabapples from a jar :wink: .. Think about decorating the table itself rather than the platters ...Like how about trying this? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"