• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curry in VCR

hungry_moose

Just went back last weekend for the special "curry of the day" at the Marriott Pinnacle restaurant - W. Hastings St. (Show Case). I guess the chef there is obsessed with curries?

I had his special curry last year and had to go back for more. This time, the special was "Butter Chicken" curry, again served with the delicious cardimon rice. It was delicious. Are curries in VCR always this good or does the chef at the Marriott Pinnacle really that good? I need to try Vij's or other Indian restaurant for their curries to see if they are all this good.

-Moose

p.s. Curries at the Marriott Pinnacle are served at Lunch only and at Sat. brunch.

Just went back last weekend for the special "curry of the day" at the Marriott Pinnacle restaurant - W. Hastings St. (Show Case). I guess the chef there is obsessed with curries?

I had his special curry last year and had to go back for more. This time, the special was "Butter Chicken" curry, again served with the delicious cardimon rice. It was delicious.  Are curries in VCR always this good or does the chef at the Marriott Pinnacle really that good? I need to try Vij's or other Indian restaurant for their curries to see if they are all this good.

-Moose 

p.s. Curries at the Marriott Pinnacle are served at Lunch only and at Sat. brunch.

They do focus on curries - I work just accross the street and have dropped in many times for the daily curry. You get alot of food - it is a big portion.

I wish they sold a slightly scaled down version for take out. Showcase needs to be re-decorated. It looks like a Red Lion Inn version of fancy. Ugly.

OT here - but I wish hotels in Vancouver had more bakery/take out options. In Asian cities - Hotel bakeries and deli's were the first choice for downtown take out and cakes.

I was seriously expecting a picture of a VCR with curry poured into it by some innocent looking child :biggrin:

I've never had the curry at the hotel but I find Vancouver is a pretty decent curry city. I love curry. Samosa Garden has some good ones. Lots of places in the Punjabi Market area (50th or so and Main). Mmmm.

VJ's of course has really amazing flavour - I just wish I got more on the plate :laugh:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

As a way of explanation for the uninitiated/out-of-towners:

VCR = Soon to be outdated device that plays and records on video tapes, often broken by kids with probing hands

YVR/GVRD = Vancouver

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Funny, I've been using VCR for so long and no one really commented on it --even when I lived there 8 years ago.

-Moose

Oops. *Tries to remove foot from mouth.* Sorry, I hope you weren't offended by my "out-of-towner" reference. :sad:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

hungry_moose,

We knew you meant vancouver :) But the concept of Curry in a VCR is pretty funny :biggrin: yeah I hope you didn't take that the wrong way heheh.

My coworker today told me his son put toast in the VCR till it was full and then asked why the toast wasn't popping. Awesome!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

No offense taken thanks. I find that most Canadians are much more polite and well-mannered than other *nationalities*. I received quite a flack (US bashing) when I lived there. Some my fault - for example, I kept referring to Tim Horton's as Tom Horton's which drove my co-workers crazy. My son sticks his finger and other objects into our VCR also :raz:

-Moose (with an un-trained eye to spot the hockey puck...)