• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sparkling Reds in Gourmet and others

Betts

November's Gourmet has an article on the sparkling reds from Australia and I popped into my local wine store to try to find a bottle. I came out with an Italian Piemonte Brachetto.

Are these similar in character? I'm planning on serving it with the Thanksgiving turkey - do you think it is suitable?

Lastly at what temperature - room temp like a red wine or chilled like a sparkling wine. I know that this is classified as a semi sparkling and I want to do the right thing by it.

November's Gourmet has an article on the sparkling reds from Australia and I popped into my local wine store to try to find a bottle.  I came out with an Italian Piemonte Brachetto.

Are these similar in character?  I'm planning on serving it with the Thanksgiving turkey - do you think it is suitable? 

Lastly at what temperature - room temp like a red wine or chilled like a sparkling wine.  I know that this is classified as a semi sparkling and I want to do the right thing by it.

no, not terribly similar, and yes, and it should be a great pairing.

your optimal temperature probably in the high-40s/low-50s F. brachetto, so far as i drink it, should be served slightly chilled. similar opinion from a couple of vintners here and here.

November's Gourmet has an article on the sparkling reds from Australia and I popped into my local wine store to try to find a bottle.  I came out with an Italian Piemonte Brachetto.

Are these similar in character? 

Not really. Brachetto is a light, fruity, strawberry-scented wine; sparkling shiraz is like shiraz with bubbles.

I'm planning on serving it with the Thanksgiving turkey - do you think it is suitable?

It'd probably work with the turkey but I doubt it would have the wherewithal to stand up to the traditional accompaniments (stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry relish). Disclaimer: I probably haven't tried your particular Brachetto.

Sparkling reds are best drunk cool, not cold, though it can be fun to serve them a bit cooler than ideal and taste how they change as they warm up.

Thank you both - I feel somewhat reassured. Truth be told - most of the imbibers are not the most sophistocated palates around. I just don't want something too sweet and I wanted something a bit unusual.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing Betts picked up a Banfi Brachetto d'Acqui, which is the brachetto more often carried than not here in Minnesota.

Betts, I'm going to pile on with the above comments. Brachetto is rarely a wine for rich, savory courses, and you will find it pretty light. If you are interested in a drier red sparkling wine, you can find some Sparkling Shiraz in town (PM me). But if you want a wine with bubbles to go with your Thanksgiving meal, I don't think it has a duty to be red. You can find several non-red sparkling wines that will have the stuffing (no pun intended) to stand up to turkey with the sides.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

But if you want a wine with bubbles to go with your Thanksgiving meal, I don't think it has a duty to be red.  You can find several non-red sparkling wines that will have the stuffing (no pun intended) to stand up to turkey with the sides.

what i think works about the brachetto for Turkey Day is that it has light body and great acidity, which to me are essential for something as leaden as turkey. (just like good Beaujolais.) i think of brachetto as a good pick to help cut through fat, which is definitely a requirement for that day. the sweetness would match a good cranberry dish, though not sweet potatoes or root veggies.

but i think it would be a terrific wine to have at table.

ditto what Brad sez about non-red sparkling. (anyone who serves blanc de blancs to Uncle Jimmy and Cousin Lil at the Thanksgiving feast is my instant hero!!)

Thank you both - I feel somewhat reassured.  Truth be told - most of the imbibers are not the most sophistocated palates around.  I just don't want something too sweet and I wanted something a bit unusual.

The wine will fully meet the needs you've expressed here.

I also did some digging for recommended food pairings just for fun. ItalianMade.com is a great food and wine web stie. All their food pairing recs are desserts (lots of panettone stuff). However, that doesn't mean the wine has to be limited to those foods. You can try it, and let us know how it worked.

Plus, you'll be on your way to taking the Thanksgiving Challenge.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Yup Brad, you are wrong this time. I got 2 bottles of the Villadoria Piemonte Brachetto ($13.99/).

Where would I get a bottle or 2 of the Australian Shiraz in MPLS? Haskells or Lyn-Lake seem like the likeliest bets.

OOOH I like the Thanksgiving challenge. The menu in my family is so entrenched in concrete that wine is the only outlet for creativity. Additionally it is my daughter's birthday so it is a Thanksgiving/ birthday party.

We usually have either Beaujolais or Champagne at the table and there will certainly be a couple of back up Champagnes in light of the b'day aspect.

Yup Brad, you are wrong this time.  I got 2 bottles of the Villadoria Piemonte Brachetto ($13.99/).

Where would I get a bottle or 2 of the Australian Shiraz in MPLS?  Haskells or Lyn-Lake seem like the likeliest bets.

OOOH I like the Thanksgiving challenge.  The menu in my family is so entrenched in concrete that wine is the only outlet for creativity.  Additionally it is my daughter's birthday so it is a Thanksgiving/ birthday party.

We usually have either Beaujolais or Champagne at the table and there will certainly be a couple of back up Champagnes in light of the b'day aspect.

You have a good brachetto there. I'm not a large fan of the Banfi product. Glad I'm wrong. As far as finding sprakling shriaz, I believe France 44 has one in stock. I was just at Henn-Lake, and didn't see any (but I wasn't looking either).