• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi in Providence

CiriloE

We were in Brown/RISD area last weekend. We were set on a sushi dinner at Haruki East but the place closed due to flooding. I asked different people at the Westin for alternative sushi places but came up with a long list. Too confused, we went to a sure winner. Deb Norman runs that Rue De L'espoir to perfection and we had a fantastic time. But my college daughter hoped to eat sushi .

Please help me narrow down the list from Tokyo, Sakura, 10 Steak and Sushi, New Japan, Japan Cafe, Mia Sushi, Ran Zan. How do they compare with Haruki East?

Thank you,

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

Go to Haruki (West), Rt. 5 in Cranston. (95 South to Rt 37 West to Rt 2 South; bear left onto Rt 5 and Haruki is right there on the left.)

If you are somehow in the perplexing state of having no car but bags of cash, go to 10 Steak and Sushi downtown.

Ran Zan is ok to pretty good. But Haruki in Cranston is tops -- we were there Tuesday night and it was packed, always a good sign for a sushi restaurant....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Go to Haruki (West), Rt. 5 in Cranston. (95 South to Rt 37 West to Rt 2 South; bear left onto Rt 5 and Haruki is right there on the left.)

If you are somehow in the perplexing state of having no car but bags of cash, go to 10 Steak and Sushi downtown.

Ran Zan is ok to pretty good. But Haruki in Cranston is tops -- we were there Tuesday night and it was packed, always a good sign for a sushi restaurant....

I agree with Chris...Tokyo runs hot and cold; as does New Japan. It bothers me that patrons needing to use the rest room at New Japan walk through the kitchen. Sakura has been goof every time I've been there, if a bit crowded. Sea Shai in Middletown is also consistently good; I was very dissapointed with the quality of the sushi place in North Providence, but I'm blanking on the name at the moment...

Karen

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

Go to Haruki (West) , Rt. 5 in Cranston. (95 South to Rt 37 West to Rt 2 South; bear left onto Rt 5 and Haruki is right there on the left.)

If you are somehow in the perplexing state of having no car but bags of cash, go to 10 Steak and Sushi  downtown.

Ran Zan is ok to pretty good. But Haruki in Cranston is tops  -- we were there Tuesday night and it was packed, always a good sign for a sushi restaurant....

Sakura has been goof every time I've been there, if a bit crowded. Sea Shai in Middletown is also consistently good; I was very dissapointed with the quality of the sushi place in North Providence, but I'm blanking on the name at the moment...

Karen

Thank you very much. Haruki and 10 Steak and Sushi will be the top choices. Where I'll dine will depend on whether I drive or take Amtrak the next time.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

Go to Haruki (West) , Rt. 5 in Cranston. (95 South to Rt 37 West to Rt 2 South; bear left onto Rt 5 and Haruki is right there on the left.)

If you are somehow in the perplexing state of having no car but bags of cash, go to 10 Steak and Sushi  downtown.

Ran Zan is ok to pretty good. But Haruki in Cranston is tops  -- we were there Tuesday night and it was packed, always a good sign for a sushi restaurant....

Sakura has been goof every time I've been there, if a bit crowded. Sea Shai in Middletown is also consistently good; I was very dissapointed with the quality of the sushi place in North Providence, but I'm blanking on the name at the moment...

Karen

Thank you very much. Haruki and 10 Steak and Sushi will be the top choices. Where I'll dine will depend on whether I drive or take Amtrak the next time.

Cirilo

10 Steak and Sushi - I second it

Karen

Cirilo

Made the trip to Haruki in Cranston from downtown Providence in the driving rain last night. My daughter who was celebrating her birthday requested a sushi/sashimi dinner. Thanks to Eric's directions we got there in less than 30 minutes.

When I walked in a feeling of dread came when I saw Chinese and Korean sushi chefs behind the counter but I relaxed and put my trust on Egullet. Haruki lived up to expectations. The sushi and sashimi were really superb. Best of all, they are not the traditional small Japanese serving. I was full to near hurting at the end. My daughter had a real treat. Our very attentive server told us the owner, who was not there last night, is Japanese and he still works as a sushi chef to train the chefs and keep the quality high. That plan is succeeding.

Thank you.

Cirilo

Popular Science, 1891