• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broadway Bound

Feedbag

Hi there,

Looking for some ideas for a Christmas lunch, maybe dinner,

for a small group. I was hoping to do Italian, but any other

ideas would be great. The place shouldn't be too expensive,

and it should preferably be between Main and Granville on Broadway.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hi there,

Looking for some ideas for a Christmas lunch, maybe dinner,

for a small group. I was hoping to do Italian, but any other

ideas would be great. The place shouldn't be too expensive,

and it should preferably be between Main and Granville on Broadway.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

How about Cru? I don't think they are open for lunch, but maybe they are over Christmas. Would be good for dinner anyway.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

GO RUGBY BEACH CLUB !!!

I used to work there recently,

in the kitchen, chef...

Actually not too bad. Price is crazy though :shock: $9 for a steak ... go figure.

Fast paced athmosphere, good quality (well not Lumiere, but at $9 per steak...), fun environment. Check it out before you commit yourself - just be prepared for the line-up!!!

Good Luck!

Chef Suave

www.pacificrimgrille.com

Thanks, you guys. I'll give both some consideration.

I had thought of Cru but believed it to be too expensive

(one in our group was hit with a real estate disaster and

can't afford much right now...). But I did just check the website

and the $36 prix fixe menu seems quite reasonable. Wonder if

it will still be available in December. In any event,

I'll put it forth to the group -- which, by the way, is really only 4 --

and see what they think.

Sorry, eatbc, I don't know how to respond to your instant

message. Thanks, though, for bringing my attention to Cru.

Cheers.

Definately do Cru if they are open for lunch. If not, try Kalamata. It's a family-run Greek place on the south side of Broadway between Yukon and Cambie. Reasonable prices and good hearty food.

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

There are so many good ethnic outlets in that strip.. you could try Chutney Villa or Congee House near Main, or go one block south Main from Broadway and head to Monsoon. Go the other direction and you can go to Aurora Bistro or hip-vegetarian The Foundation.

Going further down Broadway you could go to Martini's for pizza, Afghan Horseman for some Middle-Eastern, or go lavish with Tojo's. Memphis Blues is a southern barbeque hit next to Cru, but you could also check out the newly-opened Red Pepper.

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Going further down Broadway you could go to Martini's

They recently reopened after doing some very lovely renovations. Very nice indeed. They never seem to have much mention here, and they are definitely not high end dining, but they are deserving of some praise. Good, reasonably (very reasonably) priced food, and not just pizza; very fair priced beverages, including microbrews on tap and great staff. And now, it looks great too. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Great recommendations, thank you all!

Martini's, right, had forgotten them. Used to go all

the time when I had business in the area. Don't recall

the food to be outstanding, but the martini's were good --

and reasonably priced. I'll have to check out the new

room; didn't realize they'd been renovating.

Cheers.

I have to comment on Afghan horsemen. Where else can you dine out on low tables with pillows. The ultimate in lounge dining. Expect to spend 3 hours there if you book a "pillow" area. They even give you drinks with ultra long straws so you can stay lounging while you drink out of the planter bowl they put the booze in.

The platters are definately meaty so I'm not sure if a vegetarian would like it here. Food is similar to greek with much more indian/south east asian influence in the spice of the rice and whatnot. I love their raisin rice. My lord.

Call em up, get a pillow table and then lounge and eat meat and pawkara skaras (Afghan fried potato).

Then fall into a food coma and rest on the pillows.

Edited by fud (log)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I would second the vote for Chutney Villa. I just had lunch there today and it was fantastic. It's South Indian Cuisine with a decent wine menu. With a group of people you can order a variety of small dishes to share and nosh on the lovely homemade chutneys. They have spruced up the place a bit recently, and it radiates warmth. The two women who run the place are very friendly and if you phoned ahead they would make sure you had a roomy comfortable table, I'm sure.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

But I did just check the website

and the $36 prix fixe menu seems quite reasonable. Wonder if

it will still be available in December.

The Prix Fixe is a permanent fixture and great value.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

• 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommend Banana Leaf, a terrific Malaysian restaurant that serves one of the best crab dishes in town (with garlic and cracked black pepper). Great seafood dishes all around (lobster, scallops, and giant prawn served a variety of different ways - your call) and a very relaxed atmosphere. I'd recommend making a reservation, particularly for a big group.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

More great suggestions, thanks!

I'd been to Afghan Horsemen 100 years

ago and couldn't remember what I thought

of it. I have been to Banana Leaf but as I recall

always a lineup. Maybe if we go midweek.

I just might have to go to all the suggested places

on a dry run....