• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sit-down brunch

scarlet knight

In the restored Tenafly RR station building, Café Angelique offers a sublime selection of salads, sandwiches, and omelettes. A really nice environment, if the weather is good they put out about 20 tables for seating outdoors, but the inside of the building is very nice. BYOB.

Cafe Angelique

In the center of Tenafly,

in the restored RR station building.

The Manor in West Orange serves an excellent brunch. Our family loves it and one our favorite items is their Lobster Eggs Benedict. There is a huge selection of hot items and cold and everything is delicious. They also have items available for children.

The address is :

111 Propsect Ave.

West Orange, NJ

Please let us know where you decide to go and how you enjoyed the experience.

Thank you, menton1 and lovveskiing for your thoughtful responses.

I think that I am going to change my criteria slightly to a sit-down Sunday lunch.

We are going with our parents, who are slightly older and not really mobile or hungry enough for a buffet. Also, they want to foot the bill(it's our birthdays) and I think that they would pass out if they saw what they charge at the Manor or Short Hills Hilton (I would guess $35-50/person). We don't want to take them down too hard with the bill.

Thanks for any additional input. It's this Sunday.

Last time I was there, brunch at the Hilton SH was about $45pp and worth EVERY penny. Haven't been to The Manor for brunch, but I'm sure it's equally impressive; I just prefer the Hilton in terms of overall decor and experience, but that's me. Couldn't you go to any one of these (or other buffets) and make plates for the person who has trouble walking? Or would that offend them?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thank you, menton1 and lovveskiing for your thoughtful responses.

I think that I am going to change my criteria slightly to a sit-down Sunday lunch.

We are going with our parents, who are slightly older and not really mobile or hungry enough for a buffet. Also, they want to foot the bill(it's our birthdays) and I think that they would pass out if they saw what they charge at the Manor or Short Hills Hilton (I would guess $35-50/person). We don't want to take them down too hard with the bill.

Thanks for any additional  input. It's this Sunday.

Scarlet, check out Cafe Angelique further. It has delicious salads, sandwiches, omelettes, and decadent artisanal pastries. The bill should not be more than $20-$25PP. A beautiful environment in the restored RR building as well. This is sit-down, waiter service only. Should meet all of your criteria! It's perfect for a Sunday lunch!

We want to have brunch with two other couples between Fort Lee and Livingston. One of the attendees has difficulty walking, so we would prefer a sit-down format over a buffet.  Any suggestions?

Intermezzo Ristorante is Dumont is great and the staff is very friendly and willing to accomodate. I've been there a few times with family and with dinner parties friends have held there. It's an Italian BYOB place and the prices are very reasonable. The address is: 366 Knickerbocker Avenue, Dumont NJ and their website is http://www.intermezzoindumont.com/. The Maitre D' is Sal and is a great guy.

We had lunch at Lalezar in Montclair and it was a big hit.

We've gone about 3 times ourselves and we had mixed feelings. Once, a whole grilled fish was a little gamy. Another time, I recall that my chicken kebabs were dried out.

However, this was our best experience to date. The plain nature of the grilled meats catered to the picky eaters among us. Also, the large appetizer plate and the large coban salad went over well.

Thanks for the other suggestions which we will try on our own.