• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2000 Port

NewYorkTexan

There have been numerous articles about how good the 2000 port will be.  A friend offered to go in with me on pre-arrival case.

Anyone have thoughts on if the 2000 will equal the 1994 vintage?  Are there specific houses that are going to be exceptional?

They said great things about 1997 as well.  When it was in the bottle, they weren't as impressed.  Unfortunately I got 2 cases of Fonseca, was too much given the ultimate vintage quality.

If you don't own any port, it certainly couldn't hurt.  But with the 1985 vintage still reasonable (around $60-$70 bottle), cost of the futures is a key factor.  If the 2000 is like the 1994, it' won't be ready for a long time.  The 1985 is pretty lovely right now.

beachfan

Good lord, when the hell do you plan to drink these Port vintages? In 2030? 2040?

hell I'm drinking my 63's and still buying the 77's...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Various places in NJ at large wine retailers. The last time I bought any port was about 6 months ago, and I was paying around 105-110 per bottle for a 77 Dow. Warre, Grahams, etc about the same.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

my husband has just gotten into port in a big way- something to do with the 20 year old bottle i bought hin for our 20th anniversary. he has also picked up '77 vintages for about 100 at several places up here in n.jersey - dow and warre and possibly one more

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Last night at a tasting, I sampled the 2000 Port Vintage, it was from Warre's, and I had an interesting talk with the rep. He said that it was really tasting well, even so young, just barely bottled, so it was a great buy etc. etc. etc. But then I questioned him a bit more because if its drinkable now, it might not stand the test of time that truly great Port vintages are known for. He agreed but still said it was an outstanding vintage and would be a great investment by the case. It's being sold on futures now and will completely sell out leaving none for the shelves.