• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charleston, West Virginia

Malawry

So it looks like I'll be spending a few days in Charleston, WV in early 2006. (And I might be returning periodically thereafter, due to spousal professional obligations.) What's good to eat around there? Anything? I don't expect slick martini-menu joints (though am open to recommendations on them if they exist) but there has to be at least some decent country cooking down around there. I suspect it's mostly chainsville, but I'll have enough time on my hands to look for something more locally flavored. Tips welcome.

(I am specifically referring here to Charleston, WV, the state capitol, not to Charles Town, WV, which is about 5 miles from my house and I already know has very little to offer from a culinary standpoint.)

This website has a list of possible options for Charleston, WV, and some of them actually look quite inviting. For example:

Aubrey's Yorkshire Pub & Eatery

Blossom Deli

Chilton House

The Chop House

French Quarter Lounge

Laury's Restaurant

Tarragon Room

Wellington's of Scarlet Oaks all look to be the nicest of the options here and not "chainsville."

And then there is the requisite Hooters, Applebees, Golden Corral, and Fat Boy's Roadhouse, as well as others of that genre ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My mother-in-law lives in Charleston when she is not here in FL with my sister-in-law. Though she doesn't dine out much, I'll check to see if I can get some ideas from her. The last time we visited, I really liked the mall!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Yeah, GG, I saw that site too, but the local CVB basically tells me bupkes about what those restaurants are actually like. I'm looking for recommendations from people who've actually been there.

Or at least rumors of recommendations from friends of friends who have been there. :wink:

What's to like about the mall, Susan? I suspect I'll be spending my days walking around it, since I'll be 7mos pregnant and it'll be really cold outside when I'm there.

(I am specifically referring here to Charleston, WV, the state capitol, not to Charles Town, WV, which is about 5 miles from my house and I already know has very little to offer from a culinary standpoint.)

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

The Mountain View Diner in Charles Town is okay--near the intersection of US 340 and Rte 9. They don't sell crafts though. I have not seen or heard of this John's Diner, but I will look for it. Where on Route 9 is it?

This website has a list of possible options for Charleston, WV, and some of them actually look quite inviting. For example:

Aubrey's Yorkshire Pub & Eatery 

Blossom Deli

Chilton House

The Chop House

French Quarter Lounge

Laury's Restaurant  

Tarragon Room

Wellington's of Scarlet Oaks  all look to be the nicest of the options here and not "chainsville."

And then there is the requisite Hooters, Applebees, Golden Corral, and Fat Boy's Roadhouse, as well as others of that genre ...  :hmmm:

Well, since I am sitting in my office in the middle of downtown Charleston, I may be able to help you. First, my condolences for having to visit Charleston in early 2006. That being said, here are my recommendations.

First, GG has posted some of the better dining options, but some are located a bit out of town so unless you have a car you will have difficulty getting there. However, I would be HAPPY to provide transportation to you and your guests, if any, to any restaurant in the area.

Second, a couple of those choices above are no longer available, most significantly the Chilton House, which is the most on-again, off-again restaurant in the area. It's located in an historic house on the banks of the Coal River a stone's throw (maybe two stones) from my house. Aubrey's, also located near my home, is only open a couple of nights a week (if it is indeed still open). It isn't that great anyway.

The Chop House has prime beef at a prime price.

Blossom Deli is a deli-by-day, upscale food by night place. Pretty good but not great.

The French Quarter Lounge is located in a greyhound race track. Need I say more?

Laury's is great if you like a snooty atmosphere and mediocre food.

The Tarragon Room can be very good, but is of course pricey. I'm not sure if the prices are quite justified.

Wellington's just sucks (IMNSHO).

Now, some not listed:

Soho's, owned by the same guy who owns the Blossom Deli, has pretty decent Italian food (including standards like pizza and panini, but also house made agnolotti and other good bites. Caveat: food is frequently oversauced, but if you request light on the sauce it's good.)

Bridge Road Bistro, very good, upscale. I've heard it's quite good but have not found anyone to accompany me there (hint, hint). From my boss: portions are small and expensive, but quite delicious. Wine selection is good too.

I have to head home now but will post more later, esp. on the good lunch places (all the above are more evening/dinner meal places.)

Back again. The Blossom is good for lunch, quaint 50s soda fountain decor, good sandwiches and salads. Reasonably priced, too. My favorite is the "Undecided" platter: a baby scoop each of egg salad, chicken salad and tuna salad, served atop baby field greens, with olives, roasted red pepper, red onion, a boiled egg and house vinaigrette. Comes with a yummy orange muffin, too.

Delish is also a good lunch place. They serve lots of noodle dishes (Udon, etc.) and have recently added new items. Haven't eaten there very recently so I don't know about the new stuff.

Soho's (mentioned above) has a good lunch offering too.

If you are in the mood for local culture and/or good ol' country cookin', then you can go to the Southern Kitchen, a local landmark. Joey's has decent ribs and is another local institution (I like the Tex-Mex chili burger). Goopy and sloppy, yum yum. If you like wings and want some brew to chase it down, head to the Cold Spot. "Best Wings in Town" in your choice of flavors (Mild to Toxic plus BBQ and Garlic BBQ).

We have a newish Thai place (Thai House) that I haven't been to yet. I've heard it is pretty good.

That's all I can think of now. PM me if you want a map.

(EDIT to add some new stuff).

Edited by Darcie B (log)

The Mountain View Diner in Charles Town is okay--near the intersection of US 340 and Rte 9. They don't sell crafts though. I have not seen or heard of this John's Diner, but I will look for it. Where on Route 9 is it?

Um, I thought it was at the intersection of 340 & Route 9...or it used to be. Guess they changed the name/ownership :wacko:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Wow, thanks, Darcie B. I knew somebody would come to my rescue! :biggrin:

I will have a car with me to get around, and now I have a sense of where to hit. Southern Kitchen and Blossom sound especially like good lunch choices. It looks like we'll be staying in one of the downtown hotels; which of these places is closer to that area?

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few years since I have been to Charleston, WV, but Delish on McFarland was really good and surprisingly slick.

I would also recommend the Rose Inn B&B as a nice place to stay. Pretty inexpensive, very pretty Victorian house and pretty rooms and a tasty breakfast.

Charleston is a charming town. I enjoyed much more than I thought I would. Also, try and catch an Alley Cat's game if you are there in summer.

S. Cue

Um, I thought it was at the intersection of 340 & Route 9...or it used to be. Guess they changed the name/ownership :wacko:

John's is considered in Rippon, WV. Right over the Jefferson County line on 340. Not sure where Rt 9 intersects. We used to go there A LOT for breakfast and/or lunch (it's a Christian restaurant/no alcohol served/closed Sundays), but lately have found that the food tastes like they're reusing the frying oil a little too long. Haven't been to John's in about six months, we prefer Grandma's Diner in downtown Charles Town for breakfast.

"Don't be afraid of flavor" -- Tyler Florence

• 2 months later...

Having grown up in Charleston, the Blossom Deli (the Blossom Dairy when I lived there) is good and it is the closest to downtown as it is downtown. The Southern Kitchen is in Kanawha City, about a 15 minute drive down Maccorkle Avenue. However there is a handy little international food store just up the road from the Southern Kitchen that is surprisingly well-stocked for the area. Also in the Kanawha City area is the Thai Room at Chesterfield House. I haven't gotten to try it yet but the menu has most of the classic dishes. It is only open after 5:00 pm.

If you want good, cheap pizza, go to Gino's in South Charleston or Husson's Pizza in South Charleston. Both are very good.

I've heard nothing but good things about Joey's, which is downtown, but as I went to school with the owner and have leftover issues with him, I haven't ventured there yet.

I am usually in Charleston once a year.

About five years ago they turned the old railroad station into a "Farmer's Market" and cute little food-mall sort of place. It is not huge but it is pleasant in season outside -plants and fruits and vegetables are sold. . .and inside there are several places to eat and buy food. Among these is a fish market and they do sell sandwiches, fried oysters, etc.

There is also a place to have coffee and an Italian restaurant which might be called "Soho" which several people have told me is decent.

There are signs to this place everywhere as you exit the highway. (It might be called The Depot? but I can't remember exactly. Surely the website for Charleston would have this information.)

When visiting Charleston this is one of the places I go - the other is the mall in the center of the city which is also a good way to waste time and money. :smile:

For shoppers seeking bargains (including some excellent kitchen supplies if you hit it right) there is a place called "Gabriel Brothers" about five minutes out of the center of town which sells overstock stuff. Incredible buys there. Brand name stuff.

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to take the trip this time--I've been engaged to teach a class one of the nights I was expecting to spend in Charleston. Still, hopefully next time I'll make it, and then I'll have these recommendations at hand ready to go!

re: John's--I passed it Thanksgiving Weekend for the first time. It's along Berryville Pike. Have not had a chance to eat there yet, but I'm sure I'll get there sooner or later.