• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines from the Salthouse

Craig Camp

I have followed Doug Salthouse's transition from wine consumer to wine merchant with great interest. Always an enlightened consumer, Doug has now made the transition to true wine merchant. In other words, he is discovering producers, many of which you have never heard of, and is offering them to his customer at great prices. His e-newsletter is full of great values. I just signed up for him to send me an assorted case of his selections a month. The wines I have purchased from him so far have all been excellent - and not one of them over $30!

It is most encouraging to find true wine merchants out there who are relying on their own palates - not those of Robert Parker or The Wine Spectator. I'll offer up some tasting notes on the wines I buy from him here.

Check Smart Buy Wines out at:

Smart Buy Wines

Edited by Craig Camp (log)

2003 Chateau Beauchene, Premier Terroir, Cotes du Rhone

With more guts than many Chateauneuf du Pape, and nearly the same blend (70% grenache, 25% syrah, 5 mourvedre) this warm, earthy wine is a bargain at $14. A brilliant ruby that is just translucent, the nose is rich and ripe with leather and raspberries. Generous, yet still tight on the palate with a long earthy finish.

2003 Alios de Sainte-Marie, Premières Côtes de Bordeaux

This is a wine that will remind you why merlot became famous in the first place. From an estate in the Premières Côtes de Bordeaux, a area usually thought of for grocery store wines, this wine is a triumph of modern viticulture and oenology. Rich and ripe in the the nose without a bit of the herbal notes of some many merlot based wines. On the palate it almost magically combines the richness of modern winemaking with the firm structure that make Bordeaux Bordeaux. The smooth vanilla/plum fruit has this streak of bitterness that runs through the center of the wine making it alive and extremely interesting to drink. Age this one 2 or 3 more years and you will have a real beauty. An amazing $16.99 a bottle.

2004 Chateau Vari Bergerac Blanc Sec

Here's a little beauty and its under $10 a bottle. Clean, fresh and crisp it makes a perfect seafood wine or party aperitif and is a great everyday white. No pretence and complexity here, just brilliant fresh fruit flavors. 60% Sauvignon Blanc 40% Semillon.

• 1 month later...

2003 Domaine Coste Chaude, Visan, Cotes du Rhone Villages

A delightful combination blend of structured earthy characteristics and forward charming ripe fruit. The nose is full of ripe raspberries with an underlying layer of spices and shitake mushrooms. Warm and generous on the palate with a firm backbone to balance the ripe dark fruit flavors. A tangy bitter tar note blends with the sweet fruit finish.

60% grenache, 40% syrah

2003 Forefathers McLaren Vale Shiraz - made by Nick Goldschmidt on Coppermine Road

A Australian Shiraz even I can like. Yes its jammy and an explosive fruit bomb, but it comes off well balanced with a good bite of acid. Not so much on complexity, but big on up-front pleasures. This wine is begging for a big cheddar burger.