• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late Night Confessions

Rebel Rose

We have a soft rock station with a sultry voiced DJ that drives me nuts. She's always talking to people, asking them how she can make their night "just a little bit better." Yeah well, just give me a glass of sangiovese and some caramelized onions and play the damn rock and roll. :hmmm:

So, sending it out there to all you people who are still working online after 8 pm. Are you sliding on over to eGullet while waiting for pages to load?

Do you have a glass of wine by your elbow? And maybe it isn't the glass of wine you would choose, but is it working for you? Would you trade it for anything else right now? Or is that familiar wine just right? Or maybe, you're taking a closer look at something you didn't appreciate before?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I was doing this a couple of hours before you posted this topic due to being a couple of hours ahead of California.

I was working on some coursework and had a glass of boxed Cabernet sauvignon. This particular method of wine delivery I've never sampled before, but decided it was time. It was a very industrial-flavored wine. It had big fruit and big flavor, but was similar to a synthetic fruit punch. There just weren't many flavors that I could pick out to make a profile of the wine.

On the other hand, when I'm doing some heavy scholarly thinking, I don't want a wine to challenge my attention, so this one was doing it for me.

Wine has got me through a good many papers, though. I'm especially fond of Pino gris when I read or edit. Something about the slate and mineral flavors make me focus better.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

You'll find many who love wine as much as I but none who love it more but my own late nights are reserved for a quiet glass of Armagnac with my second and final cigar of the day.

Well, if confessions are in order, that might be Cognac, Calvados or a fine Single-Malt Scotch but the cigar, by heaven is de rigueur.

Ah, now I really have an image of both of you. So when we're all posting late at night and the lights in my house are dimmed, only the glow of my laptop and my SO snoring (sorry, resting his eyes) in front of a basketball game, I can more easily imagine you sitting not so very far from me--just a vibration or a string theory away.

Next time I am on late I will post honestly about what I am drinking. I'm afraid it won't be Cognac.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

You'll find many who love wine as much as I but none who love it more but my own late nights are reserved for a quiet glass of Armagnac with my second and final cigar of the day.

Well, if confessions are in order, that might be Cognac, Calvados or a fine Single-Malt Scotch but the cigar, by heaven is de rigueur.

Hopefully the Pre-Castro Cubans.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

• 1 month later...

2002 Santenay, Domaine Raymond Launay, a Becky Wasserman import.

I have no previous experience with this wine, and I have a head cold. All I know is that I really wanted a glass of pinot tonight, to go with what Dan is preparing for dinner, and therefore had to rummage in this pinot-phobic household through my private antique cabinet where I stash stuff from my travels. Any previous experience with this wine?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook