• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Bubble Tea

fud

I think the best places nowadays are Pearl Castle and Bubble World.  I think Bubble World was the first bubble tea place in my area (Marpole/South Granville).  Or maybe it was Oasis? 

Oh I have to disagree with this one! I had bubble world a couple times and found their drinks to leave this powdery aftertaste in my mouth. Boobies...i mean bubbles :raz: were either really hard or too sweet. Oasis on the otherhad has good bubble tea!

The one in coquitlam was empty when I went in and it took a full 35 minutes to make two bubble teas which didn't taste very good. I wonder if this one is part of the same chain.

I guess I should mention that I never drink the powdered drinks at Bubble World :rolleyes: Their pudding bbtea does exactly that - leave that powdery aftertaste. I've never had hard bubbles in my drink there, but again, I hardly ever get my drinks with the bubbles anymore. I don't think I've been to Oasis since highschool! Try the fresh fruit ones, or the green/red tea drinks (the passionfruit green tea is wayyyy too sweet though).

Wow, there's even a Coquitlam location now? And to think they started out manually shaking the bubble tea! Now they even that machine to seal the lids on!

Ahhh, Jack's Loft... where all the "cool" kids hung out :rolleyes: I always thought the drinks were overpriced & not tasty.

Ahhh, Jack's Loft... where all the "cool" kids hung out  :rolleyes:  I always thought the drinks were overpriced & not tasty.

You're right. The drinks there weren't good. But that's the price one paid to be seen, back in the day. :rolleyes: The "new" Jack's Loft's drinks were even worse than the ones at the "old" Jack's Loft. But where else can you pay $6 to camp out at a table for a few hours, playing Big 2? The award for "worst" bubble tea though, imo, goes to Estea in Richmond. We ended up there pretty often though, because they have that big table. Their desserts are equally atrocious--I never understood Chinese-style "cheesecakes". They're like air. But desserts are free for ladies on Wednesday night, with the order of a drink.

Favourites:

-taro milk tea with pearls at Pearl Castle, and regular milk tea with pearls

-green tea ice-cream with pearls at Oasis. They scoop like 5 scoops of ice-cream into that one drink!

Anyone have a favourite hot bubble tea drink?

But desserts are free for ladies on Wednesday night, with the order of a drink.

:blink: now that is NOT fair!! free dessert for ladies with a drink? Where's the love for the men??

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Anyone have a favourite hot bubble tea drink?

Yes. I'm a faithful Dragonball-er since 1997 UBC dayz (more often nights). Fave cold: Longan or Lychee milk slush. Fave Hot: Black Sesame. Yu-um It's like a less-sweet/drink version of "Tzee Mah Woo" (Black Sesame Dessert-Soup). I've been to so many bubble tea places and find this still the best imo; especially when the owners are in, the bubbles are tasty, chewy perfection! Ask for half-bubbles to enjoy without getting too full! :wub:

Edited by PearL (log)

There's a new bubble tea house which opened 1 block from Dragon Ball called Gizmo. Anyone been? I heard they are giving away free bubble tea for a limited time as a way to draw people away from DB and to show off the fact that they atually have places to sit :)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I can't remember the name, but there's a place on Fraser St. by 41st Ave (a few doors from the Church's Chicken) that has pretty good bubble tea. I used to go Oasis for my chocolate ice-cream bbt, but have switched over to this location since it is closer to home.

Another bbt place opened up a few stores down back in Sept, and it's closer to the McDonald's, but I have yet to try that location.

Prices are standard, and they have a stamp card system for the free bubbletea.