• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Half-Price Chocolates

rlibkind

Technically a New Jersey item, but of interest to Philadelphians like me who find themselves on the other side of the river:

Stopped by Miel's Patisserie at Village Walk, Cherry Hill this afternoon, and found that their chocolates are on sale at 50% off. Although I've had finer French style flavored chocolates, these are still darned good chocolates. And at $19 a pound rather than $38, a very good value, indeed, a downright bargain.

I believe the sale lasts through the weekend, but they are closed on Labor Day.

Lots of interesting flavors, including a dark ganache with fleur de sel.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 1 month later...
Technically a New Jersey item, but of interest to Philadelphians like me who find themselves on the other side of the river:

Stopped by Miel's Patisserie at Village Walk, Cherry Hill this afternoon, and found that their chocolates are on sale at 50% off. Although I've had finer French style flavored chocolates, these are still darned good chocolates. And at $19 a pound rather than $38, a very good value, indeed, a downright bargain.

So what are the post Robert Bennett reports? Will the prodigies make me cry like a school girl? Will those chocolate croissants touched by the hands of God be a distant memory? I want my Miel gateau!

With all due respect to our beloved Katie’s Oregon monks, Bobby B is the maharishi of all that is sweetmeat.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

With all due respect to our beloved Katie’s Oregon monks, Bobby B is the maharishi of all that is sweetmeat.

My all-time favorite Philadelphia Patisserie is still "Mademoiselle de Paris". To bad it arrived a little before Center City was able to support a first rate Patisserie.

So what are the post Robert Bennett reports? Will the prodigies make me cry like a school girl? Will those chocolate croissants touched by the hands of God be a distant memory? I want my Miel gateau!

The Oregon Briggitine Monks are still the best FUDGE I've ever eaten. Not sure that the fine patisserie quality chocolates at Miel are quite the same. They serve different purposes and I like BOTH just fine, thank you very much. My waistline will attest to the veracity of the last statement. :biggrin:

I ran into Robert Bennett a couple of months ago, not long after he'd sold his interest in Miel. He looked incredibly happy and relaxed and regaled me with stories of soon taking over as Executive Chocolatier for a chocolate manufacturer that wanted to commercially produce a line to compete with Godiva. Damned if I can remember the name of the company though. He was also getting ready to go to France to be a judge for the World Chocolate Championships or something similar. Fear not - no moss is growing under Bobby's feet. He truly seemed as happy as I've ever seen him and I was happy for him. I think he has a lot more time for his family now, and that seemed reflected in his joyous attitude. Good on him, I say!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My all-time favorite Philadelphia Patisserie is still "Mademoiselle de Paris". To bad it arrived a little before Center City was able to support a first rate Patisserie.

We supported jes' fine, thankee! I supported about seven pounds' worth my own self.

They didn't close due to poor business: the husband and sole patissier suffered a catastrophic health event (stroke, I think?), and they decided to close down. They have been sorely missed, since, like you, I think they were the best we have yet had

I'm glad to hear Mr. Bennett is doing well. Miel seems so far not to have suffered any letdown: their Fall chocolates - the first post-Bob, I think - are very good, well in line with previous releases. A couple of flavors, such as the sichuan pepper and the ginger, are maybe a tad timid, but that's nitpicking on my part.

We supported jes' fine, thankee! I supported about seven pounds' worth my own self.

They didn't close due to poor business: the husband and sole patissier suffered a catastrophic health event (stroke, I think?), and they decided to close down. They have been sorely missed, since, like you, I think they were the best we have yet had

No, that is the story that was posted in the window. Actually they had so much debt that Didier was preparing to flee the country with the recepts from the Christmas sales when he was struck down with an aneurism. I suspect the stress of the failing business contributed to his illness. He seemed like a very proud man, as well as a brilliant pastry chef.

Miel is good but I don't like paying Manhattan prices for pastry in Philadelphia. In fact I am not even crazy about paying them here in Manhattan.