• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steven Shaw on WHYY Radio

aaronwcpa

This morning at eleven on WHYY, 90.9FM and on the Web at whyy.org, the esteemed founder of EGullet will be interviewed for an hour on his new book and restaurants.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

That would be Esteemed Executive Director and Co-Founder of eGullet. :)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It's a good interview. This Shaw guy is pretty funny. He seems to know a bit about restauraunts as well. THe show is turning into a defense of front of house staff vs. back of house. Pretty interesting.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Well done. Except for the last two words.

"Thanks Steven, and you can read more of his writing at eGullet.com"

.org dammit!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The hours was desultory, controlled by the callers who had other axes to grind. The discussion on the book was rather limited but Mr Shaw spoke well and to my ear with authority.

I did not hear any mention of EGullet but probably the staff and interviewer are unaware of its existence.

If and when Mr Shaw appears on Fresh Air with Terry Gross, the discussion should be more pertinent and probing.

Still happy to hear the interview.

I plan to purchase the book.

Hope the book becomes a best seller.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I really had to dig around to find out what part of the country this station broadcasted from. Just sayin' is all.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Listened to it while I was (supposed to be) working, so I wasn't able to give it 100% attention, but it seemed like a good show - the guest was knowledgeable and even amusing; I didn't find the callers particularly objectionable at all.

Good job.

Fat Guy,

Bravo on your interview!

Also, might I commend you on the measured cadence of your speech. I hear too many radio guests rattle through their responses, unaware of how they are stringing their words together. Of course, they may be understandably nervous, or perhaps just unaware of how quickly they are speaking.

But from your first mellifluous "Gooood Morning!" you spoke at a modest (but not labored) pace, making it easy to savor each comment--just like when I read (and re-read) your old Fat-Guy.com reviews.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I too, listened to it over the weekend. Very good spot, Steven. However, might I recommend for future radio interviews, that you not use yourself in your examples, i.e. "when you call in to a reservation line use your name, as in 'This is Steven Shaw, I'd like a reservation for...'" I have a feeling that some of the listeners might think it is a good idea to start making reservations under your name!

If and when Mr Shaw appears on Fresh Air with Terry Gross, the discussion should be more pertinent and probing.

That probably won't happen for quite a while, since he has been interviewed by Marty Moss-Coane on "Radio Times."

"Fresh Air with Terry Gross" and "Radio Times" both originate at public radio station WHYY in Philadelphia. "Fresh Air" is the station's flagship syndicated interview program, focusing on arts and culture across the country; "Radio Times" has more of a focus (though obviously not an exclusive focus) on Philadelphia-area affairs and airs on fewer stations--though apparently it's on satellite radio now. The two programs have virtually no overlap in terms of guests.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

That probably won't happen for quite a while, since he has been interviewed by Marty Moss-Coane on "Radio Times."

"Fresh Air with Terry Gross" and "Radio Times" both originate at public radio station WHYY in Philadelphia. "Fresh Air" is the station's flagship syndicated interview program, focusing on arts and culture across the country; "Radio Times" has more of a focus (though obviously not an exclusive focus) on Philadelphia-area affairs and airs on fewer stations--though apparently it's on satellite radio now. The two programs have virtually no overlap in terms of guests.

I don't know about that: obviously Fresh Air doesn't do a lot of programs about, say, Philadelphia politics, so there's no overlap there. But there's overlap with literary types: Isabel Allende, for instance, was on Radio Times last week, and she's also been interviewed on Fresh Air on several occasions. So I wouldn't be surprised if Fat Guy shows up on Fresh Air; and since he's promoting his book right now, soon would make sense.