• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Brunswick Stew

phlawless

I have a new source for fresh rabbit and I wondered if anyone has used it to make traditional brunswick stew.

Does one use the whole rabbit?

Anyone with experience or info please reply.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

We used rabbit in the stew for the first Pig Pickin'. (The development notes are here.)

In preparation for this year's stew, Dean and I made the executive decision to leave the rabbit out. Domestic rabbit simply doesn't hold up flavorwise, and it didn't make much of a stock, either. If you have access to wild bunnies or hare, however, I think you'd have different, and probably better, results.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Phlawless had some hare-brained idea (haw!) that simply because it was someone's birthday weekend that she couldn't come to the pig pickin'. Thus, she'll be missing out on what could be the single best example of Brunswick Stew ever created. Ever. I might be able to convince her to come. It'll take a bribe of many loco pops, however.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

y'all need to watch more PBS.

I learned from a Georgia Public Broadcasting documentary specifically on this subject that real Brunswick Stew is made with a pigs head.

that's what gives it it's deliciously velvety texture. or so I've been told.

So Varmint - i hope you're saving that hog's head to go into the stewpot.

I'll see if i can track down that documentary....