• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tinga Taqueria

Curlz

I didn't see much about Tinga in the NJ forum, so I thought I'd start a new topic about it...my bro went to the Upper Montclair location yesterday, and had great things to say about it!

Background: Bro and s-i-l lived in San Francisco for 5+ years, and have lamented the lack of any decent Mexican food since their return to NJ. So when I told them I had heard good things about TT, they were happy to try it out! Verdict: Very FRESH and tasty food here. My bro spent some time chatting with the owner, an learned that he spent a month in SF before opening, exploring the Mission district's numerous taquerias. He was surprised that the restaurant didn't have an authentic Bay-area component--a salsa bar with different salsa and other fixings (i.e. hot peppers, hot salsas, etc.), and when he mentioned it to the owner, he was told that it's a space issue more than anything. But he was also promptly given a small bowl of hot (temp and spice) Tinga Salsa, which he said was excellent. He had a chicken burrito that he had to eat with a knife and fork (which surprised him), my s-i-l had shrimp tacos that she said were good, and my niece ate a kid burrito (beef and beans) that she was happy with--and they all had plenty of food. Chips (house-made) and regular salsa are complimentary, and the place is BYO and definitely family friendly. He said they will definitely go back, and I'm certainly anxious to give it a try!

Tinga Taqueria

215 Bellevue Avenue

Upper Montclair, Essex County, New Jersey

(973) 509-8226

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Been to the Millburn one several times, as well as gotten takeout. Its ok, its certainly fresh. The house salad has a great mustard vinaigrette.

Its good for suburban Mexican, however, I greatly miss Blockheads in NYC. This is similar but nowehere as good.

I've tried many things on the menu but the thing I keep going back to is the "Casa-dilla" Basically a bean and cheese quesadilla with salsa and guacamole.

Everything else from the tacos to the wings are "ok." (Which is good for suburban NJ Mexican)

Msk

I've (family et al) eaten at the Bellevue Ave location in Montclair many times. Pretty good, especially considering the alternatives (to my knowledge) - like, none.

I like the Brisket Burrito (and burritos in general vs. other items) and they serve a 'bar' style, which is a smaller one with a side salad (always fresh). Chips are endless, guac's good and the establishment is a kids favorite.

Kind tight (but you'd have to expect it), interior is colorful and festive; hits just the right notes. It's BYO and often very busy...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Curlz - Thanks for the info. I will put them on my short of Mexican places to try. My fav is Don Jose on Rt. 10 in East Hanover. There is a new one in Clifton that I want to try and then we'll try Tinga Taqueria.

Nizza, I'd love to know if you find a good place in Clifton as well, since that's also close to home. Thanks!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Walked into the Upper Montclair location once and the tables hadn't been bussed and there was no place to sit. We walked out. Let us know what you think if you go there.

I've been there several times. Basically its expected that you are ordering at the counter. If the tables aren't clean I think you are supposed to mention that to them and then they dispatch someone to clean up.

No, it ain't perfect. In fact, it's really just fast food, although good fast food.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Interesting topic Curlz!

I lived in SF for 3 years, and I have to say I've been disappointed the 2 times I tried Tinga Taqueria. I moved to Montclair about 2 years ago and was ecstatic to see a "taqueria" near me. I ordered 2 different burritos from them, via delivery each time and they just didn't have much "oomph". I didnt find the ingredients to be very spicy or flavorful, rather bland unfortunately.

To be fair though, I haven't ordered from them in over a year, nor I have eaten at the actual restaurant. I'll give them another shot soon and will post a revised review :smile:

Edited by allie (log)

I did just eat at Tito's Burritos in Summit. It was much better than Tinga in my opinion. In fact they had the best wings I have had in the area.

My wife got the Blackened Salmon burrito and I got the blackened chicken. Very spicy and flavorful though the Guac was a bit disappointing. They definetly made our normal rotation though they do not deliver.

The tacos look great though we didn't try those this time, I will certainly next time.

Msk

if Chipotle would open a restaurant in NJ it would (or by all rights should) put all of these places out of business.

That's what I hear from friends in NYC, T. It's obvious that I must investigate! :cool:

According to their web site (which is uber-cool, but took me a minute to figure out), they do NOT franchise, but are looking for places that meet the following criteria (this from their BIZ page):

Urban storefronts, shopping center end-caps and pads, freestanding buildings

Preferred size of 2,400 square feet (current sizes range from 1,800 - 2,800 square feet depending on trade area characteristics)

25 feet minimum frontage

Patio seating preferred

Zoning to accommodate restaurant use and allow liquor license (beer & margaritas)

Parking adequate for restaurant use

Building exterior to allow Chipotle standard storefront design and signage

Excellent visibility and access

If you know of a location they should consider, there is contact info for their NY/Northern NJ rep on the Biz page as well.

I didn't even realize that they sold liquor--which of course, makes them all the more appealing to moi... :raz: Very, very interesting indeed.

I did just eat at Tito's Burritos in Summit.  It was much better than Tinga in my opinion.  In fact they had the best wings I have had in the area.

My wife got the Blackened Salmon burrito and I got the blackened chicken.  Very spicy and flavorful though the Guac was a bit disappointing.  They definetly made our normal rotation though they do not deliver.

The tacos look great though we didn't try those this time, I will certainly next time.

Msk

Hands down Tito's is our fav. fast food Mex. in the area. Can't stand Tinga, just personal tastes I guess. Tito's is not really a dine in place, particularly if there are more than two of you, there is extremely limited seating. Best bet is to drop by late afternoon, get a menu, then call ahead and have it ready for pick up, as there is no place to stand and wait if you walk in.

For dine in it's Don Jose, although we keep meaning to try the place in West Orange, Los Tapotios. Unfortunately it's not close to any thing we want to do after dinner on our rare date nights, so we haven't hit it yet.

As for Tito's wings, clearly the best we've had in the area. Although we'd love other sugestions!

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

• 2 months later...

While I have yet to eat at the Montclair location, we've done takeout a few times in as many weeks. Overall, I think their food is decent...it's certainly fresh and flavorful, and the prices are very legit for the portions. I've had the chicken Tinga burrito as well as the spinach/portabello one, and others have had the blackened catfish tacos and really enjoyed them. I'm particularly fond of their guacamole--something I've only begun to eat in the last year or two, believe it or not! Service is always friendly and competent.

My only complaint is that their 8oz of guac (lg on takeout) is accompanied by the same small bag of chips that I got when I ordered the small (2oz) version. And of course, I didn't see this 'til I got home... :sad:

• 3 months later...
I didn't see much about Tinga in the NJ forum, so I thought I'd start a new topic about it...my bro went to the Upper Montclair location yesterday, and had great things to say about it! 

Background: Bro and s-i-l lived in San Francisco for 5+ years, and have lamented the lack of any decent Mexican food since their return to NJ.  So when I told them I had heard good things about TT, they were happy to try it out!  Verdict:  Very FRESH and tasty food here.  My bro spent some time chatting with the owner, an learned that he spent a month in SF before opening, exploring the Mission district's numerous taquerias.  He was surprised that the restaurant didn't have an authentic Bay-area component--a salsa bar with different salsa and other fixings (i.e. hot peppers, hot salsas, etc.), and when he mentioned it to the owner, he was told that it's a space issue more than anything.  But he was also promptly given a small bowl of hot (temp and spice) Tinga Salsa, which he said was excellent.  He had a chicken burrito that he had to eat with a knife and fork (which surprised him), my s-i-l had shrimp tacos that she said were good, and my niece ate a kid burrito (beef and beans) that she was happy with--and they all had plenty of food.  Chips (house-made) and regular salsa are complimentary, and the place is BYO and definitely family friendly.  He said they will definitely go back, and I'm certainly anxious to give it a try!

Tinga Taqueria

215 Bellevue Avenue

Upper Montclair, Essex County, New Jersey

(973) 509-8226

Went to Tinga Montclair tonight, it was nice and quiet, everybody home Super Bowling.

Had a great meal.

Spent a week in Mexico over Christmas so I have a heightened standard for Mexican.

We enjoyed Guacamole, Shrimp Tacos, Nachos with Bar-B-Q Chicken (Mexican?) my son ordered that. And Diana had the "Atkins’" Steak, Spinach and Cheese, Sweet Potato Soufflé; I think that's what it is called? And a couple of sauces. Brought a nice Zinfandel, but in retrospect I should have brought some Mexican beer. The creamy black beans and yellow rice were good as well.

Edited by Peter Conway (log)

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog