• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Wine blog

GordonCooks

Well. I got hitched so l thought, what better time to make room in my wine cellar. We did a Cava bar outside with a main wine bar with some pinot grigios, a rose from paso robles, syrah, a cab-merlot blend, and some Cal chards for the wood lovers but 6 of us went to the kitchen to eat with the chef/owner while the crowd grazed the food stations.

With Caesar Salad, Frisee with lardons and fried chick peas, Local, organic Roma tomatoes with evoo, and mixed greens with organic veggies

-

2000 Raveneau – Butteaux – tart with wet stones and notes of canned pears in simple syrup (but in a good way i.e. grandma’s house), creamy without being heavy. Perfectly balanced from start to finish – I was I could afford to drink this everyday

-

1996 Chave Hermitage Blanc – Thick, herby, and viscous with prominent mineral and acid – taste more herb than fruit from the last bottle I had

-

With Shrimp Scampi , Farfalle Alfredo w fresh peas, Cheese tortellini in marinara, and grilled vegetable platter

-

2003 Belles Soeurs Pinot Noir – Disappeared while my back was turned (those bastards)

-

2000 Falesco Montiano – Evergreen, Vanilla, and some oakiness. I think this one got big parker points but it seems a little “mellow” for his palate imho – it was delicious nevertheless

-

With Beef tenderloin in demi, Roast leg of lamb and red onion marmalade,

and pommes frites “5 ways” (mornay, aioli, ketchup, house made bbq sauce, and one I can’t remember)

-

1997 Greenock Creek, Seven Acres – Loads of jammy fruit up, nicely integrated tannins, definitely ready to drink

-

1995 Penfold’s Grange Hermitage – Everything the Greenock was and much more – double the fruit, add the typical mint and pencil. Still a young, massive wine – I gotta stop drinking these, I’m down to a couple of bottles.

-

2001 Feudi di San Gregorio Serpico – Can a wine be black? 2 bottles were decanted for a full 24 hours and re-bottled before bringing them to the restaurant. This was a monster and still incredibly tight – cocoa, sweet spices, more solid than liquid, astounding and no where near it’s potential.

-

With wedding cake & cheese cake

1988 Chateau Suidaraut – I guess it was good – I was wasted by then

1983 Lafaurie Peyreygay – See previous TN

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

2000 Raveneau – Butteaux – I was I could afford to drink this everyday

I think you meant to write "I wish I could afford..." Maybe you're still a bit wasted. :biggrin:

Regards the intended sentiment, though, you and me both. Congrats on getting hitched.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

2000 Raveneau – Butteaux – I was I could afford to drink this everyday

I think you meant to write "I wish I could afford..." Maybe you're still a bit wasted. :biggrin:

Regards the intended sentiment, though, you and me both. Congrats on getting hitched.

Thanks, It was quite a party from what I remember - I mean, who has karaoke at a wedding? :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the wedding and a wine list to envy! How does the Butteaux compare to the Montee de Tonnerre? I was lucky enough to have a bottle of that over the weekend, and -- woah! -- it was a memorable experience to say the least. Wish it was easy to get hold of here in D.C., but alas, it is not.

Congrats on the wedding and a wine list to envy!  How does the Butteaux compare to the Montee de Tonnerre?  I was lucky enough to have a bottle of that over the weekend, and -- woah! -- it was a memorable experience to say the least.  Wish it was easy to get hold of here in D.C., but alas, it is not.

Currently, the Butteax and Valmur seem the most approachable with the Montee de Tonnerre needing a good 5-10 to reveal it's true self. That's not to say it's delicious now but oh, so much better if you can hold out. My advice with the Montee and Clos is hold - I haven't had the Montmains yet so I can't give any opinion. I had the Drouhin Montmains over the weekend and it seemed quite open.

edit sp

Edited by GordonCooks (log)