• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

leftover grits

hazardnc

we saved some leftover grits from yesterday's breakfast and spread them in a shallow pan to chill. I have looked for grits cakes recipes, but most say I should have mixed in cheese prior to chilling.

Anyone out there with a good recipe for leftover grits?

I would guess that you could microwave them or fry them like polenta.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Like polenta, leftover grits can be handled similarly:

First one should grease a bread pan or 8" square pan with vegetable oil or butter.

Then spread the grits into it evenly, cool, then refrigerate overnight.

Cut into slices about 3/4"-1" thick.

Dredge in flour to coat and fry in hot oil until brown and crisp.

Serve with butter and maple syrup.

Serving with eggs and ham and/or bacon is equally appealing!

Leaving out the cheese initially isn't such a problem ... enjoy! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

You could cut it into thin slices and use them to prepare a "lasagna": in a baking dish put one layer of grits slices, a layer of meat sauce, one layer of cheese, one layer of grits, eat... and so on. The last layer must be meat and cheese. You could add also bechamel.

Bake "grits lasagna" in the oven (cover it with foil at the beginning) until you hear it boiling.

I'd cut away half then fill with sauteed mushrooms and fontina cheese. Put remaining polenta back on top and layer again with sauteed mushrooms and cheese then bake until bubly. A drizzle of truffle oil after it comes out of oven doesn't hurt. Alternatively, I add a little truffle paste to the mushroom mixture.

Grits/polenta are very good with sauteed greens and garlic. I'll have to try this maple syrup/molasses idea out. It sounds TOOO good.