• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vinexpo comes to NY

Billy D

So Vinexpo will be in NY for the first time at the Javits Center on Oct. 22-24.  I have heard that the one in Bordeaux is a great event but I have not heard anything about the one in Tokyo.  Has anyone ever attended one of these?  What is it like?

• 2 weeks later...

Billy--since it has never been in the US before it's hard to comment meaningfully.  In past years, only my winemaker and wine marketing friends made the trip--and yes, they loved it.  But it is more a trade thing than a foodie event.  Lots of industry networking, importers doing deals, under-appreciated wineries trying to win medals and get some publicity, etc. I wasn't aware Slow Food glommed onto the 2001 event until I followed Lizziee's link--thanks for that.

Trying to make headway in NYC from a global brand and event planning perspective seems a smart move, though the French sometimes have a funny way of handling things when they come to the US. Website says producers and exporters exhibit--importers and distributors are not allowed to. Interesting. I suspect alot more American media, chefs, sommeliers and restaurateurs will attend. I didn't answer you immediately because I didn't feel I could give you what you wanted. sorry. I felt bad no one answered.

I have been to many trade events at the Javits Center and it is without charm.  Again, the real action is in the networking and dinners around town.

what's your connection to the industry?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Thanks for the input Steve.  I have been told that it is a great networking opportunity.  I look forward to seeing it for myself.  I usually find these events to be fruitless; they are often packed with crappy producers and lots of retail store owners.  Otherwise the smaller ones with better producers and better networking take place on weekdays in the middle of the afternoon so I rarely go.  This should be interesting.

As far as my connection to the industry, I would prefer to remain anonymous.  Sorry.